• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels vs Brumbies RD2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
I think you need to get a petition to get Gordon Bray back on TV. Or maybe consult your Funk and Wagnalls.

Sounds good. I'd take Martin Tyler or Phil Liggett talking about a completely different sport over the current lot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
White made a number of poor kicks, and never threatened the line with ball in hand. Threw a couple of uncatchable passes too. Phipps had a kick charged down, and threw a couple of bad passes. Neither did anything that suggested to me they were Wallabies.

If say the same thing about Higginbotham and Beale though.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I felt sore just watching this game.

The rebels pay the price for poor recruiting late in the game. They simply need more super rugby standard players.

I raised an issue last year about recruitment and the potential of Sydney Uni to be the official feeder club of the Rebels. This was due to the influence of their new coach and his background at a certain club.
Coach Hill is an accomplished coach who deserves respect from this forum but as I said previously it concerns me that when the Uni players who get to beat up on teams like Penrith are then introduced to S15, some are found out to be nothing more than cannon fodder.
I would love to see that a few fringe players form different clubs get a shot.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If say the same thing about Higginbotham and Beale though.

Yeah, probably. Are you comparing either White or Phipps to players proven extensively at super and international level?

To my eyes both need breakout seasons this year if they want to be considered long term Wallabies. Tonight's match-up was the perfect place to show their class. Neither did so.

P

Paradox

White made a number of poor kicks, and never threatened the line with ball in hand. Threw a couple of uncatchable passes too. Phipps had a kick charged down, and threw a couple of bad passes. Neither did anything that suggested to me they were Wallabies.
Disagree, White kicked the ball into the corner with accuracy - especially on the penalties. He has a massive boot - possibly the biggest in Oz. Passing wasn't as good as normal but he got the forwards motoring onto the ball and had an awesome season last year (which you fail to acknowledge) and was strong last week. Other than Genia, who is better in Oz at scrum half?

All you've done is slag off the Brumbies this thread stating none of them are worthy Wallabies and very little else.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that if White repeats his form of last year he is easily Australia's 2nd best halfback..........

If Phipps continues with his form of the past couple of years then he fights it out with Sheehan for third.........

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The first half was an even contest around the park with individual brilliance (or lack thereof) being the key to all points. The second half was so much more team oriented.
It was a game of two halves. Brumbies get the 5 and deserve it. I hope the Rebels don't have long injuries.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Disagree, White kicked the ball into the corner with accuracy - especially on the penalties. He has a massive boot - possibly the biggest in Oz. Passing wasn't as good as normal but he got the forwards motoring onto the ball and had an awesome season last year. Other than Genia, who is better in Oz at scrum half?

All you've done is slag off the Brumbies this thread stating none of them are worthy Wallabies and very little else. Take your trolling elsewhere.

Yep you've nailed me there. None of them deserve to be Wallabies. Even though I've only mentioned Mogg and White, I think it's fair to extend it to the entire playing 15 hey. Good one champ.

To answer your first question, White is still number 2. But I don't want him to be scrabbling around with Phipps, Sheehan and McKibben for the 2nd spot, I want him to be pushing Genia to be number 1. His form last season was good, and I had hoped he would go on with it in 2013. So far he has been solid but hasn't done anything to make me sit up and really take note. His running game seems to have disappeared, which is a shame.

I just feel like tonight he was presented with an opportunity to show he could be number 1, and he sadly didn't take it.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Second half by the Brumbies great in intensity and general execution of play.
their first half was poor - Rebels should have been up by at least 10.
Brums can't afford to give up 10+ points by taking the first part of tha game off, they will pay the price agaist more resilient sides. wanna be champions play hard for 82 minutes, not just 40.
also the amount of penalties conceded was beyond belief.
in the end a win is a win, but first half very disappointing - need to eradicate that attitude (e.g. defence on Rebels' try) asap please
ps: go the Brumbies

P

Paradox

Yep you've nailed me there. None of them deserve to be Wallabies. Even though I've only mentioned Mogg and White, I think it's fair to extend it to the entire playing 15 hey. Good one champ.

To answer your first question, White is still number 2. But I don't want him to be scrabbling around with Phipps, Sheehan and McKibben for the 2nd spot, I want him to be pushing Genia to be number 1. His form last season was good, and I had hoped he would go on with it in 2013. So far he has been solid but hasn't done anything to make me sit up and really take note. His running game seems to have disappeared, which is a shame.

I just feel like tonight he was presented with an opportunity to show he could be number 1, and he sadly didn't take it.

Fair enough but you've simply been negative about the Brumbies in this thread. White had a very good season last year and a good game last weekend. You need to acknowledge that. You're implying he'd been nothing other than solid at any stage which is incorrect. He is forming a new partnership with To'omua as well. I don't think To'omua's alignment is that good at the moment but he's played very little rugby for quite some time.

Brumbies still with plenty of work to do. Combinations still rusty. I think McCabe's straight running is going to help immensely. Lots of white line fever.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fair enough but you've simply been negative about the Brumbies in this thread. White had a very good season last year and a good game last weekend. You need to acknowledge that. You're implying he'd been nothing other than solid at any stage which is incorrect. He is forming a new partnership with To'omua as well. I don't think To'omua's alignment is that good at the moment but he's played very little rugby for quite some time.

Brumbies still with plenty of work to do. Combinations still rusty. I think McCabe's straight running is going to help immensely. Lots of white line fever.

Ah, so the rule is that I can only say nice things about the Brumbies? I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten. They are title contenders this year, and are all big grown ups. I'm sure they can handle some constructive criticism.

As for White, did you read my post? I 'need to acknowledge' he had a good season last year, yeah?.......

His form last season was good, and I had hoped he would go on with it in 2013.

But I do think that he's been nothing more than solid so far. Last week was very similar to this week. Good enough service but ultimately a no-frills performance. Solid.

It's clear we are on different sides of this debate, so I'm going to bed.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't think Leckie covered himself in glory. In the first half the Brumbies committed a long series of of breakdown fouls, some of which were certainly cynical. All they got was a warning. In the second half Saffy commits a "cynical foul" and gets a yellow card. The first thing a referee needs to do is get his decision making right. But the second thing he had to do was treat both teams equally. I didn't think he did.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thoughts on the match:-
  • Mowen was impressive. Always got over the advantage line. good work rate. was in the right place at the right time and showed good leadership. If he keeps this up he could be a contender for a Wallabies spot this year.
  • Mogg, Lilo, and Rathbone were also standouts
  • The Rebels were rubbish. a blind man could see they were getting pushed out of the game in the second half and they should have chanced their arm a bit. It seems to be a trend among the aussie teams, taking as few risks as possible, often til its too later. Although to be fair to the Rebels the loss of O'Connor didnt help.
  • Brumbies' defensive gets two thumbs up

P

Paradox

As for White, did you read my post? I 'need to acknowledge' he had a good season last year, yeah?

Problem is that your line of argument doesn't match your token statement which was only offered after I got stuck into you. You've stated this about White; "Neither did anything that suggested to me they were Wallabies." and that you see very little difference between him and Phipps . You acknowledge White had a very good 2012 and was solid last week so how can you say White is not Wallaby material (he would have played for Oz already if not injured)? Please exercise some consistency in your reasoning.

P

Paradox

I'm the only one seeing To'omua as the long term Brumbies 10, aren't I?

McCabe comes back soon. To'omua still hasn't see the backline on fire yet but he improved quite a bit on last week. Was that To'omua that smashed Beale for the first try?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
McCabe comes back soon. To'omua still hasn't see the backline on fire yet but he improved quite a bit on last week. Was that To'omua that smashed Beale for the first try?
Thought it was Rathbone, but might have been To'omua.
He's guiding the backs around the park well and telling the forwards what they need outside 10. I liked Lealiifano at 10, I'm very happy with him at 12, McCabe might not fit into the pack upon return.

P

Paradox

Thought it was Rathbone, but might have been To'omua.
He's guiding the backs around the park well and telling the forwards what they need outside 10. I liked Lealiifano at 10, I'm very happy with him at 12, McCabe might not fit into the pack upon return.

I thought his (McCabe) combo with Lilo was exceptional last year (and his straight running). He's quite good at doing the "right thing" on first phase attack. Underrated passer and dummy running etc.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought his (McCabe) combo with Lilo was exceptional last year (and his straight running). He's quite good at doing the "right thing" on first phase attack. Underrated passer and dummy running etc.
I just wouldn't remove To'omua or Lealiifano and don't think he has the footwork needed at a 13. However, he wasn't an international 12 until he was developed there, so I wouldn't mind putting him there. Just feel for Andrew Smith, he is great.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)

agree
it may be a little unfair to compare white and others to genia as the only acceptable standard
after all white has been playing s15 only from one season, and is coming back from shoulder surgery and a broken jaw
white's running game and passing were not outstanding tonight, but his kicking and defence, for instance, were strong
phipps, apart a couple of dummy half runs, was unnoticeable through the match

Status
Not open for further replies.