• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Lions RD 11, Sat 6th May @3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well good way to attract a crowd, play at the exact same time as Dewar Shield. Rule out about 1000 rugby fans due to club commitments.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Injury update, from R365.

INJURY UPDATE: THE MELBOURNE REBELS HAVE LOST SCRUMHALF AND CAPTAIN NIC STIRZAKER TO AN ANKLE INJURY FOR THREE WEEKS.

Stirzaker was a late withdrawal from the Rebels side that lost 3-44 to the Southern Kings in Round 10.

The Rebels will also be without Stirzaker's deputy in the No.9 jersey for a lengthy period.
Mick Snowden, who started against the Kings, is out for six weeks with a suspected syndesmosis injury.
"It's some sort of bone fragment in Nic's ankle that flared up so I think he's going to be out for three weeks," Rebels' General Manager of Football Operations Baden Stephenson told AAP.
Ben Meehan will likely wear the No.9 jersey against the Lions, with Harrison Goddard recalled from the Australian Under-20 team.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
First grade play Friday night and 2nd grade either play late Saturday morning or before first grade on Friday night. My issue is how long between when VRU sent out this directive to change these games (roughly two weeks ago) vs. when the Super rugby draw was issued (Q3 or Q4 of 2016). Anyway, Rebels by 20+.......

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Still can't bring myself to watch the Kings game.

If we truly dominated possession and territory, give the forward pack another chance, particularly given all the unavailables. Maybe start Toby if he's ready.

As for backs, please drop JGB entirely, and give a running fly half (Either Debreczini or Volavola) a chance with a running Scrum Half.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^Have not watched, going to go down as the first game I never watched.

Two shocks from this mornings drive to work, Rebels getting air time on Tripple M adds for the match this weekend. Than I drove under the electric billboard just near Richmond on the Monash and it was an advertisement for the game with a picture of Tom English on it. Nearly had a car crash at the shock of it all.

Where has this marketing been the last few years.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^Have not watched, going to go down as the first game I never watched.

Two shocks from this mornings drive to work, Rebels getting air time on Tripple M adds for the match this weekend. Than I drove under the electric billboard just near Richmond on the Monash and it was an advertisement for the game with a picture of Tom English on it. Nearly had a car crash at the shock of it all.

Where has this marketing been the last few years.

As an impartial observer, I would suggest someone has opened their wallets in a rush. Possible causes:
  1. They are looking to build the gate from this game from dismal to something better. Given the last result, I can see a lot of marginal fans not turning up.
  2. Given the relative performances of the two franchises in the firing line, maybe they are trying to build a crowd to shore up their negotiating position. Bad crowds do not a good case make.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^I was surprised that they are not letting kids in for free again. Perfect time slot for them to do it.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Any news on Debreczeni's injury on weekend? Hamstring doesn't sound good. Was it a strain, tear or twinge? Is he also likely to miss 2-3 weeks?

Still not sure why he was dropped from original 23 man squad for last week (before Stirzaker pulled out).

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I have been told by a lapsed member that he has received free tickets for upcoming games

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I have been told by a lapsed member that he has received free tickets for upcoming games

Nice if they gave some to current members too. I'm bringing most of the horde this weekend, will be nice to watch some afternoon Rugby!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
As a member this does not even bother me at the moment.

This week I would be giving kids free enetry and increasing the members discount on tickets to 50%. We all know Saffa games struggle to draw a crowd and we need real numbers this weekend.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
As a member this does not even bother me at the moment.

This week I would be giving kids free enetry and increasing the members discount on tickets to 50%. We all know Saffa games struggle to draw a crowd and we need real numbers this weekend.

I wasn't whinging this time, just adding to the conversation re possible crowd numbers. Im not bothered by freebies either. Agreed to give kids free entry to bolster crowds, think players from schools can gain free entry if they register their free memberships.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
All the junior players registered in Victoria get a Road to Rebels membership, sp expect them to show.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Teams Out
75adafba-397e-4f8d-8d5a-d8e63635630e.jpg

Would you look at that, a scrumhalf on the bench. More of the old guard in the starting team. Like Maddocks on the bench.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So at the family day, the training part was unstructured play and Meehan was tearing the starting team to shreads. The non starters would have actually won. Lets hope he gives TT the bird and players with some guts and attacks instead of kicking the ball away

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
team is about as good as can be expected. see how they play.

kevin , yes i have seen a couple of sessions where Meehan was clearly the best on view, and another couple of times i'v seen him before training practising box kicks !:eek:

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
100% best team available assuming you want a reserve 10.

Hope there's enough cohesion to put on a good fight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I actually thought Meehan was better than Stirzaker for a lot of last season. Admittedly Stirzaker was injured at the start of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.