• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Highlanders Super Rugby Rd 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rebels return to Melbourne with a 3-1 record, the clan visits with the same 3-1 record.

The Rebels will really be wanting a good performance here to prove they really are finals contenders in 2016, so far our 3 wins have been against the bottom of the table sides. It's time to start showing that we can match it with the best.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Rebels (and Chiefs) travel is far worse than anything the Jaguares or Sunwolves have done.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon the travel load will take its toll and we'll get spanked out wide by some simple draw and pass rugby.

Hopefully the injury ward gets emptied and some of the blokes who've been putting in heavy shifts can have a rest.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
provided they cut out the aimless kicking to the Clan back three i think the defence will hold up pretty well. i think the defensive structure has been the Rebels most impressive change this year actually (Bulls game aside)

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Hanson straight back into 2. If they'd be happy for Nic to start, maybe swap out Sean for Fugs to keep reasonably fresh. Maybe rotate Shipperley out if Crawford is fully fit, otherwise have him on the bench for Sione planning to sub Jonah at 60ish minutes. Timani looked to have taken a little knock, maybe start Jeffries.

While we want to win, trying to prevent more injuries and keep players reasonably fresh is also important.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Was surprised by just how much better Stirzaker's passing and speed of decision making was than Meehan's when he came on. Doesn't have the same kicking game, but his fundamentals are much, much, better. Did see him grab his shoulder after a tackle, so I wonder if he's still not 100%. If he's good to go I'd start him.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I reckon the travel load will take its toll and we'll get spanked out wide by some simple draw and pass rugby.

Hopefully the injury ward gets emptied and some of the blokes who've been putting in heavy shifts can have a rest.
It's a tricky balance. You obviously don't want to just throw a game and give some of your big dogs a rest, but cynically they have to be thinking about it given the travel and minutes some of the boys have put in.

Thought Fuglistaller was really good when he came on, we've got amazing depth at openside.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez I think that little bloke who was too small to play for the Reds, is having a wow start to the season. It would seem he is a captain who leads from the front and the other lads just fall in behind him.

Great position for Australia to be in even with Gilly heading to France. and Poey doing whatever Poey is going to do next year.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rebels return to Melbourne with a 3-1 record, the clan visits with the same 3-1 record.

The Rebels will really be wanting a good performance here to prove they really are finals contenders in 2016, so far our 3 wins have been against the bottom of the table sides. It's time to start showing that we can match it with the best.
Teams tend to only play as well as their opposition. Here's hoping the Rebels lift to the 'Landers level, which is a long way to lift, I admit...

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was surprised by just how much better Stirzaker's passing and speed of decision making was than Meehan's when he came on. Doesn't have the same kicking game, but his fundamentals are much, much, better. Did see him grab his shoulder after a tackle, so I wonder if he's still not 100%. If he's good to go I'd start him.
Hard to drop a guy with 3 meat pies in 4 games. Position should be his until Nic is really pushing for it off the bench, his 10 minutes was not enough of a cameo to earn a start.

Thinks might be different in a few weeks but for now Ben has earned the starters spot.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Don't kick to the Highlanders' back three, and you're in with more than half a chance.

On the question of travel, did the Highlanders stay over the week in Aus (presumably Melbourne) or did they return to NZ between games?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Injury update:

The Melbourne Rebels welcomed back captain Nic Stirzaker and Scott Fuglistaller from injuries after the pair took the field as second half substitutes in the team’s 35-9 victory over the Sunwolves in Tokyo on Round Four.

Cam Crawford has overcome his hamstring injury and will be available for selection while Reece Hodge, who suffered a quad strain at training ahead of Round Two in Pretoria, will undergo a fitness test this week.

Steve Cummins will be unavailable for 6-8 weeks after suffering a contact based hamstring injury.

The Melbourne Rebels injury update following Round Four against the Sunwolves at Prince Chichibu Memorial Stadium, Tokyo:
  • Cam Crawford (Hamstring): available
  • Reece Hodge (Quad): fitness test
  • Colby Fainga’a (Elbow): 2 – 3 weeks
  • Steve Cummins (Hamstring): 6 – 8 weeks
  • Mike Harris (Quad): 7 – 9 weeks
  • Tim Metcher (Hamstring – 2015 NRC): Indefinite
  • Sefa Naivalu (Leg – 2015 Super Rugby): Indefinite

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hard to drop a guy with 3 meat pies in 4 games. Position should be his until Nic is really pushing for it off the bench, his 10 minutes was not enough of a cameo to earn a start.

Thinks might be different in a few weeks but for now Ben has earned the starters spot.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
I think it's fair to say you've never really rated Stirzaker though?

The tries argument is a reasonable one, especially given the difficulties we've had picking them up over the last few years. I think Stirzaker is comfortably the better player though. The fact that his passes actually go flat and in front of the man should get Debreczeni taking the ball on the front foot again, which can only be a good thing.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Would prefer not to rush Hodge back. Getting him off the bench next week would be enough, look to get him into the 15 jersey after the bye. No disrespect to Placid or Crawford, but the centers are settled, the wingers are hitting form and Jack needs a playmaker buddy.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't kick to the Highlanders' back three, and you're in with more than half a chance.

On the question of travel, did the Highlanders stay over the week in Aus (presumably Melbourne) or did they return to NZ between games?

Pretty sure they stayed as they are apparently at a training base in Manly. Or so says a news report I read just now. The coaches were being interviewed about some of the dodgy refereeing calls that went against them on the weekend.

On a more positive note (for Highlanders fans at least), the injury problems that left them with a weakened team for the Waratahs game are over.
Joe Wheeler (lock), Dan Pryor (loosie), Osborne, Whitelock and Hohneck should all be back. Though Faddes may be out.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's fair to say you've never really rated Stirzaker though?

The tries argument is a reasonable one, especially given the difficulties we've had picking them up over the last few years. I think Stirzaker is comfortably the better player though. The fact that his passes actually go flat and in front of the man should get Debreczeni taking the ball on the front foot again, which can only be a good thing.

I agree Stirzakers passing game is better than Meehan, I think Meehan's kicking game and support play is better than Stirzaker.

Stirzaker has a tenancy to try run to often and gets caught out to easily leaving the whole team on the back foot, he does it when there is no support around to clear a ruck. When you watch Smith snipe he normally has someone to offload to so his not out of position to get the next phase going.

Scrum half's should not be caught at the bottom of the ruck as often as Stirzaker is. His role is to get play moving not to be a ball carrier and take flankers on all game.

Meehan also gives away less penalties in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.