• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Thing is, do we want/need Quade?

Do you need him, probably not. Should you want him, hell yea! He is still the most talented flyhalf in the country and a very marketable player.

Imagine Quade taking it to the line and flat balling to Mafi and Coleman, then next phase sending the ball wide to Hodge, Koroibete and Naivalu on some nice overs lines

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the only team in Australia that isn't guarenteed to get better with Quade at 10 is the Waratahs, and even that's debatable.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Very debatable. AND Wessels is good enough to work Quade.

I think a few people are getting a tad ahead of everything. Wessels had a 6/9 season, same as Larkham, with some players who turned out to be pretty bloody good, of course partly improved by him (albeit he only had 1 year input really). So he may well be a good coach, but he has a small sample group to make a proper assessment. As far as I know, he's never coached Quade. From what I have heard and read, Quade was not every coaches cup of tea and some (McKenzie for example) seemed to be able to get the best of him. Others not. I'm not blaming anyone, but this stuff has been widely discussed. In short, there's a bit of hyperbole and a few leaps of faith being made. As an aside, I'm not sure Quade would dramatically benefit the Tahs, given their roster and what Gibson seemed to want to do, style-wise, which obviously worked only in parts. Remember, their attack was OK (points and tries-wise, and specifically against NZ teams), their defence was the biggest glaring issue. A really big issue. Huge issue. Anyway, enough side-tracking in the Rebels thread.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Goodness Cyclo. Quade might not suit the Tahs? That says more than a simple comment about Quade, as you intended.

Anyway, let's see what happens. Probably pissing into the wind at this stage. Personally I'd love to see him in Auckland. Long shot - not happening.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I find the talks of rebels taking Quade amusing as if not over salary cap by country mile - taking Quade would make sure they are big time over the cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I find the talks of rebels taking Quade amusing as if not over salary cap by country mile - taking Quade would make sure they are big time over the cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is going to be a fair amount of dead weight cut next year. Some of whom would be reasonable pick ups for other states but I'd expect a fair amount to head overseas.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thing is, do we want/need Quade?

Yes and yes. Would be brilliant to see him every week and from a marketing perspective he'd be fantastic. If we could afford to have him on our books is an entirely different question. Although it's getting to that point in the season now, where the Reds would almost want him off their books (so might pay a portion of his salary at least to save some money), Quade would be desperate to be actually playing, the ARU would want him playing as they have to pay him no matter what. So could potentially be a bargain for the Rebels. Financial moves like this happen all the time in League. Wests were still paying a large portion of Farah's salary at Souths

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
There is going to be a fair amount of dead weight cut next year. Some of whom would be reasonable pick ups for other states but I'd expect a fair amount to head overseas.

I think Quade could be a good pick up for a season for the Rebels if salary cap was not an issue to help develop Jack D's and others game at 10. But equally beyond salary cap would need to fit with culture Wessels trying to foster at the Rebels and not sure if Quade would hence be good from that perspective.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Quade could be a good pick up for a season for the Rebels if salary cap was not an issue to help develop Jack D's and others game at 10. But equally beyond salary cap would need to fit with culture Wessels trying to foster at the Rebels and not sure if Quade would hence be good from that perspective.
I fear Quade at the Rebels could be another O’Connor / Beale / Cipriani.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not really sure whether it's a case of coaches being good enough or not to work with Cooper.

I think it's entirely a case of whether or not they want their game plan and structures based around how he plays or whether they want to coach a general team structure that remains the same regardless of which player is playing there.

Is Cooper ever going to get back towards his peak form from a few years ago? If you were betting he would then it would be viable to base your game plan around him. If you didn't think it was likely you probably wouldn't.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously this is all hypothetical but i am a dreamer and it's early in the work week so i need something to hang onto. If finances were still an issue there is still opportunity for both teams to work a deal that would be beneficial for both teams. The Reds need backline depth, as much as i think he is a good player, but the Rebels could send Tom English the other way to get some week in week out game time (beneficial for his career), the Reds would get some depth (beneficial for the Reds, hell maybe even a starting fullback), the Rebels another salary off their cap (with Lance and English gone could afford Quade, at worst make up most of the salary and the Reds can pay the difference), ARU get some bang for their buck (Quade actually playing), Quade's career doesn't stall (beneficial for him) and the Rebels get a great marketing piece (beneficial for Rebels). Plus the Reds squad gets better and the Rebels squad gets better, there would be no downside to this.

But like i said, it's all dreams and most likely no action.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Agree with GMR - reckon he's not a great fit, even with the ridiculously mobile transient squad we have at present. Let the young guys have a crack, build them up and develop the talen.

I hope Cooper stays in Australia. From here he looked to be a much more mature player and a solid leader to boot.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

RN, Quade's attitude since he returned from France has been spot on. I'd definitely go after him if I was the Rebels and for the two remaining years of his contract. They should even ask the Reds to pay half. Worth a shot.

T

TOCC

Salary cap is irrelevant for 2018 as per the 2018-2020 CBA. It’s been deemed a transition year with flexibility around the ‘salary cap’ and squad sizes.

The clubs bottom line however, could be an issue...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Salary cap is irrelevant for 2018 as per the 2018-2020 CBA. It’s been deemed a transition year with flexibility around the ‘salary cap’ and squad sizes.
The ARU $ is locked in. Anything the Reds get back is a bonus. The half of his contract not paid for by the ARU, for the rest a 50/50 split with the Reds is more than they should expect. Then it’s Wessel’s turn for an “honest conversation”. Quade does NOT have to be gifted the starting role, make him earn it. I can tell you at least one Reds fan who wil cash in my three season flights to Brisbane in order to test the coffee in Melbourne instead.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i love QC (Quade Cooper) as a footballer, a rare talent, much abused and badly used. He does have some glaring deficiencies in his tackling technique and generally thinks too quick for the mere mortals who play around him. i am therefore conflicted about whether he'd be good at the Rebels. Quade circa 2011 - 2013 very definitely, but apparently, according to Reds fans, his great games have been fewer since. I've recently only seen him in the Rebels v Reds games and the few Wallaby games he has been allowed to play, and i still think he is our best 10. BUT, i have great confidence that Adams will be a very good 10 and that McGregor will also develop, and that JD could possibly fulfill his potential; so despite my love for QC (Quade Cooper) i think on balance that the potential for disruption might outweigh the upside of a Genia/Cooper halves combo. I certainly wont be disappointed if he comes south, i just wouldn't pursue it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.