• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
No, because Woodward is over here completely aware that he is not eligible to be an All Black in the time he spends here.

He's made a considered decision.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Jason talk about possibly playing for the Wallabies, and he's on a contract that will allow eligibility by the time it ends. He's about as 'Australian' as Tui Lager and fits the example of Savea that you gave.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Jason talk about possibly playing for the Wallabies, and he's on a contract that will allow eligibility by the time it ends. He's about as 'Australian' as Tui Lager and fits the example of Savea that you gave.

I know what you mean, but I think it's apples and oranges.

Sure, having people who are clearly not Aussies play for Australia with 3 years residency isn't perfect. But it's a necessary international qualification mechanic because one could easily fall in love with a nation and be invested enough to represent it after a certain period of residency.

Now, Woodward has made a decision to be in Oz knowing:
a) It will preclude him from being an AB in that time period.
b) That at the end of his contract he will qualify to play for Australia.

If another player comes here knowing that he could be called up to the ABs at any point, but never gets the call and decides to play for the Wallabies then no sacrifices or commitment have been made. They missed their train to the AB jersey and we're the next best thing.

It would be a sad state of affairs. Sure, it would be by the rules and like I said the rules are written that way for a reason. But still, a sad state of affairs.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'm sure I've read the same things before, can't say I've heard it. Dunno if it's creative licence or the truth, but from what I've seen this year I hope it's true :)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
what are people's thoughts on our starting XV or match day 23 for next year?
I have less and less of an idea every time i look at our squad
Alo Emile
Sexton
Toby Smith/Weekes (not sure which side smith plays)
Pyle
Jones
Timani
Colby Fainga
Higginbotham
Zacker
Hegarty
veainu
Ellison
Inman
Kingston/English
Woodward (work on your restarts)

Eddie
Smith/Weeks
Shota
Neville
Fuglistaller
Burgess
Jake Debrenzci (my bet is he takes over for angus, who is terrible)
English/Kingston

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would start Luke Jones at 6, Neville at lock and have Timani as a reserve. He's a strong impact player whereas I don't see Neville as that.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually won't be surprised if the Rebels toy with a combo of 10. Elison, 12. Inman, 13. Kingston.

Ellison has played most of his career as a utility and I think he was even a 10/15 when he played that Spring tour with the ABs and played in that terrible game against Italy in Rome with all the scrum resets.

Kingston hasn't been brought over here to bench.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would start Luke Jones at 6, Neville at lock and have Timani as a reserve. He's a strong impact player whereas I don't see Neville as that.

I would say this would be overwhelmingly likely.

It would be good to see rotation for rotation's sake as Timani was excellent in the Tahs/Force game this year where he got his real shot.

It'd also be great to see Fugistaller rotated in as even though Colby is excellent, Fugistaller goes pretty well too.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Burgess would be in my starting side.

He probably will. It takes a ballsy coach to not start a player making what Burgeo is probably making verses a player making what Stirzaker is probably making.

Additionally, Burgeo hasn't played any bad footy for us yet. I say, as fans, we back him to be our starting 9 and if he plays shit we champion Stirzaker who's no doubt a future star.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm sure I've read the same things before, can't say I've heard it. Dunno if it's creative licence or the truth, but from what I've seen this year I hope it's true

Well, he did say it himself...

Those overtures only hardened Woodward's resolve.
"You've got to play for three years to qualify for Australia, so I've signed for two years with the Melbourne Rebels,'' he said.
"Hopefully I will play well and re-sign with the Rebels and play for Aussie.''

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-wallaby-jersey/story-fnbzndrd-1226602670164

I think I also recall him saying that he would like to stay in Australia as there are more opportunities here for him to find work as a chopper pilot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you're playing a developing 10 (Hegarty or Debreczeni) then Burgess should hopefully be good at halfback to help them out. Particularly after playing in France where the 9 is used as a playmaker a lot of the time.

Stirzaker will definitely be important to the Rebels in 2014 and I expect him to get more and more game time as the season wears on, but it's a great position to be in to have Burgess and Ellison either side of your inexperienced 10.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
what are people's thoughts on our starting XV or match day 23 for next year?

For what it's worth...

Smith
Shota
Lahiff
Pyle
Neville
Jones
Fainga'a
Higgers
Burgess
Hegarty
Kingston