• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Talk of Giteau and Wilkinson is fantasy really, with the former signing to Toulon until 2015 (if I recall reading?), and the latter signing for like a year at Toulon also.

T

Train Without a Station

Tooheys was quite good for the Reds I thought. in 2010 he showed he still had it. It is 2013 thought and there was a reason the Reds looked beyond him I guess.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
You guys will want a long term option at 10 and that isn't Giteau and isn't an overseas marquee player. There are a couple of guys who could make great 10s if they could be convinced down. I reckon Ben Volovola could be a good option. Ben Lucas might be a good option if he could be encouraged south. If Sam Lane's knees were good, he would be good value. Can Robbie Coleman play 10? His dad is in Canberra but he isn't getting much game time.

I think we are talking about developing our existing options (Roberts and Hegarty) as number 10s, but using a senior player/mentor to help develop their game from 12.

I know Lilo's name has been throw around a bit and he appears tied to the Brumbies for a bit, but if Jake White departed he might have a get-out clause. Perhaps a little tugging on the home state heart strings and you might have an opportunity. Longshot yes, but never say never.

D

daz

I really like the idea of Morgan Turinui, who's doing okay in France. But nobody seems to bite when I float that idea.

Actually, he's not doing all that well in France. He spends half his time on the pine or out of the team. The weaknesses he had when he was a Tahs/Reds reject are still the weaknesses he has now.

No pace, revolving door defence and ineffectual in attack.

I like Morgs heaps as a bloke, but if the Rebels were to even think of considering him as a player, I'd be surprised.

D

daz

Sorry lads, but Link is a short term filler. He would have a clause in his contract that he can leave if he gets an international gig.

He could well be here for a year then gone. Not sure I like that potential situation at all.

Good coach, but he left the Reds who are up the top. Why the hell would he want to come back to the bottom? To have a job until a better offer comes around? Sorry, not good enough.

He really doesn't want to be a Soup coach anymore anyway.

Nah, let's get someone who wants to be there.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Sorry lads, but Link is a short term filler. He would have a clause in his contract that he can leave if he gets an international gig.

He could well be here for a year then gone. Not sure I like that potential situation at all.

Good coach, but he left the Reds who are up the top. Why the hell would he want to come back to the bottom? To have a job until a better offer comes around? Sorry, not good enough.

He really doesn't want to be a Soup coach anymore anyway.

Nah, let's get someone who wants to be there.

When he got the Reds they were at the bottom so it's not as if he doesn't know what it's like to be on the losing end of games. He turned them around in a couple of years IIRC so he could do the same for the Rebels.

T

Train Without a Station

When he got the Reds they were at the bottom so it's not as if he doesn't know what it's like to be on the losing end of games. He turned them around in a couple of years IIRC so he could do the same for the Rebels.

You have completely missed the point of what he is saying I think.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm aware which one you are responding too. The Reds finished 5th in his first season, so I'm not sure how much he "knows what it's like to be on the losing end of games".

Why would he take the Rebels job? It only represents a risk and opportunity for him to fail and tarnish his reputation which is currently good having taken the Reds to a top 6 finish every season he has coached.

Put it in a professional context. Who would go from a top tier company, to a bottom tier company when they were only leaving the top tier company to move up to something bigger again? If you have got your resume to the point where you have the market currency for such a role, why would you then risk having a public failure on it when you are professionally competent to move on when a role becomes available? Jake White came to the Brumbies looking for a new challenge after a few years out of coaching. Link has set himself up for and stated an international gig is what he is going for.

If he doesn't nail an international position I think it's more likely his short term filler role would be at the Reds who would move heaven and earth to keep and integral part of their turn around.

R

rus

Adam Byrns in June was in Russia and said that he finished his playing career.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Link might not get the top job because of Jake turning around the Brumbies. If link can turn around the Rebs after dong the same at the reds then he will get the Wallabies gig next. I'm pretty sure that's what he wants anyway...

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Like I said earlier I think Link's fatal mistake was playing his hand too early. By declaring his intentions to coach international AND resign from the Reds at the same time he didn't leave himself that may options. Firstly he needed a desirable international coaching to become available; the only real opportunity on this year was Scotland (which didn't happen). Now with Dingo 50/50 in the Wallabies job and Jake moving up the pecking order he doesn't really have a lot to fall back to.

One left field option; if Jake got the Wallabies gig perhaps link goes to the Brumbies and Robbie goes down to Melbourne (or vice versa for the last two options).

Sadly if Link gets the Rebels gig i think it may be a stopover on the way to an international gig. As much as I think he will give it his all, he wants to play on the international stage.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Like I said earlier I think Link's fatal mistake was playing his hand too early. By declaring his intentions to coach international AND resign from the Reds at the same time he didn't leave himself that may options. Firstly he needed a desirable international coaching to become available; the only real opportunity on this year was Scotland (which didn't happen). Now with Dingo 50/50 in the Wallabies job and Jake moving up the pecking order he doesn't really have a lot to fall back to.

One left field option; if Jake got the Wallabies gig perhaps link goes to the Brumbies and Robbie goes down to Melbourne (or vice versa for the last two options).

Sadly if Link gets the Rebels gig i think it may be a stopover on the way to an international gig. As much as I think he will give it his all, he wants to play on the international stage.

Deans at the Brumbies would be my worst nightmare. If it happens, there will be another revolt, but I don't know if it will be the players or the fans!

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
When Deans does move on I think it will be to an NZ super rugby team, but if he has decided to call Australia home he'd have to be a shoe in for any Super Rugby coaching slot going you'd think.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Jones is a Muppet. Both have great credentials. If anything McKenzie's are more impressive than Whites.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jones is a Muppet. Both have great credentials. If anything McKenzie's are more impressive than Whites.

Even though I think McKenzie should be the next coach, have to disagree with saying a Super Rugby title is more impressive than a World Cup. Even if it did fall into his lap with NZ choking to France.

Status
Not open for further replies.