• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Alright lads, maybe take a Bex and hop off it for a sec.

Personally I accept that the RA is not for everyone, and a lot of what we do is trying to find the sweet spot between the support we want and the support people want to give. We did that very well last year, but the goalposts constantly change so we'll have to do it again this year.

As for the attendance in the bay on Saturday, I'm not that fussed. It was GA across the ground and a lot of our members took the opportunity to sit in the good seats, as is their want to do. I was one of them, up in the press box.

Take that and the fact it was a 6000 attendance with a usual average of 16000 and the attrition is easy to explain. We expect to be close to regular numbers for the last trial, and above them for the season at large.

I don't think it was ever daz's or Barbarian's intention to slag off the RA. As daz mentioned, he's a high end member of the Rebels and I appreciate that, coming from a Reds fan whose finals spot we'll likely take this year.

What I think got lost in translation is how seriously we take our reputation. Whether you think that reputation is founded or not, the fact remains that Gav, Nev and the team have done a shit-ton of work to get us up to the level where we can be criticised. So, I suppose a passing comment about the crowd size at a trial can be taken with more heat than with which it was delivered.

A

Army_Gav

What I think got lost in translation is how seriously we take our reputation. Whether you think that reputation is founded or not, the fact remains that Gav, Nev, Stu, Paul and the team have done a shit-ton of work to get us up to the level where we can be criticised. So, I suppose a passing comment about the crowd size at a trial can be taken with more heat than with which it was delivered.

A

Army_Gav

So how about them Rebels hey?
How about Luke Jones in the line out? Reminded me of the U20s WC in Italy. If I recall correctly, was he on at blindside? Or packing down alongside Hugh Pyle?

The first few minutes were a bit of a flash, with Cips, KB (Kurtley Beale), JOC (James O'Connor), Vuna & Gerrardo carving it up.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Anyone with a fantasy team, do yo-self a favour and buy Cooper Vuna.

Then when you win the whatever-amount-of-money, you can give your ol' pal Stu some.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do you know you can get beer delivered to the AAMI Park press box?

Yeah I figured that, but I really get invited into the snob seats any more. (Apparently I embarassed a few with my knowledge of the game last time.) Enjoy it while you can. Any better view?

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it was all getting a bit to serious and in the end it was a trial. At the end of the season I would be disappointed if the attendance numbrs for the Rebs games are below those of 2011. But then again I would bet that the organisers of the RA would be disappoitned as well.

A

Army_Gav

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it was all getting a bit to serious and in the end it was a trial. At the end of the season I would be disappointed if the attendance numbrs for the Rebs games are below those of 2011. But then again I would bet that the organisers of the RA would be disappoitned as well.
In terms of the on field performance, I understand it's a trial. However I do take the situation in the stands very seriously.

As Super Rugby supporters, we only get 8 home games! When you compare that to most other domestic competitions, it's a handful. You should treat trial games as if they were your last.

In the context of Melbourne/Victoria. We have fought so long for a team, I take it to heart when the crowd is perhaps, not respective of the team (in terms of numbers, not support). We have James O'Connor & Kurtley Beale for crying out loud! Not to mention Adam Freier.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
How about Luke Jones in the line out? Reminded me of the U20s WC in Italy. If I recall correctly, was he on at blindside? Or packing down alongside Hugh Pyle?

The first few minutes were a bit of a flash, with Cips, KB (Kurtley Beale), JOC (James O'Connor), Vuna & Gerrardo carving it up.

Just a bunch of lads having the craic, so they were.

In other news, I'm a bit worried at how badly our lineout fell away in the second half. I get that there were a stack of substitutions and all, but it really was absolutely gash. We don't have the firepower to stick with the big boys for 80 minutes, so surely our set-piece has to be rock solid to have any sort of a chance.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah I figured that, but I really get invited into the snob seats any more. (Apparently I embarassed a few with my knowledge of the game last time.) Enjoy it while you can. Any better view?

Don't get me wrong, it was a great view, but kind of boring. Guess that goes to show the oft-talked-of 'differences in support', hey?

A

Army_Gav

In other news, I'm a bit worried at how badly our lineout fell away in the second half. I get that there were a stack of substitutions and all, but it really was absolutely gash. We don't have the firepower to stick with the big boys for 80 minutes, so surely our set-piece has to be rock solid to have any sort of a chance.
I think everything is general fell away. The logical consensus is, bar Saffy, the best XV was in the 1st half. The 2nd half was to determine the bench for the Saders.

The Saders game should be full match preparation, considering we have a bye. Hopefully there is no injuries.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't get me wrong, it was a great view, but kind of boring. Guess that goes to show the oft-talked-of 'differences in support', hey?

Yeah, I find that you don't get the feeling that you are at a rugby game, and apparently screaming 'GO DIGGERS' as he is streaking down the side line is also not the done thing. Oh well. Prefer to be with the plebs, better atmosphere. Actually will go and watch a game of rugby where ever I can get into the game. But then I am a bit strange. If there is a rugby game on and I can go watch I will, even if I don't 'support' either of the teams involved.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah, I find that you don't get the feeling that you are at a rugby game, and apparently screaming 'GO DIGGERS' as he is streaking down the side line is also not the done thing. Oh well. Prefer to be with the plebs, better atmosphere. Actually will go and watch a game of rugby where ever I can get into the game. But then I am a bit strange. If there is a rugby game on and I can go watch I will, even if I don't 'support' either of the teams involved.

Yeah, although most of the people in the press for the trial were from the Rebels Media Unit, so my outburst of 'GET IN THERE YOU BASTARD' when Gerrard scored was well received.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
yikes....don't log in for a morning and look what i miss.

its a trial game - if rebel army numbers were down for it, no one cares. It just seemed to be an observation to me since he who commented is, as most are, probably use to seeing a lot of you there. it's ok if some take a night off though, it's pre-season - no dramas! I haven't been to any of them and regrettably can't attend

Pleased to hear DJ Vuna looks in fine form. If his off ball work rate has picked up a bit and his defense has been shored up, he will be bloody dangerous. With ball in hand last year he had the ability to beat anyone - exceptional offloads. has he shed any weight?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

Same thing I wrote in my review - the gap between first XV and second XV was astounding. Sure, they still had a lot of kids there who won't be in the main squad, and it's not like the entire team will be chopped and changed like that, but still a big concern if we get early injuries.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Pleased to hear DJ Vuna looks in fine form. If his off ball work rate has picked up a bit and his defense has been shored up, he will be bloody dangerous. With ball in hand last year he had the ability to beat anyone - exceptional offloads. has he shed any weight?

Think so, but his main improvement has been in defence and reading his man.

Somebody (I forget who, so apologies to whoever it was) summed it up perfectly on Saturday, the incredible vision he has, and used to use to try and spot an intercept opportunity, he's now using to target his man and lay the tackle.

And WHAT A HIT THAT MAN HAS. I could directly attribute three second half Blues turnovers to some poor guy getting smacked by a Vuna pearler.

D

daz

As daz mentioned, he's a high end member of the Rebels and I appreciate that, coming from a Reds fan whose finals spot we'll likely take this year.

I like your style, sir. Deluded, but stylish none-the-less.

:D

I'm a Melbourne boy by choice and by heart, and I have a very soft spot for the Rebels and wish desperately for them to do well. Far more so than the Force (who I was a member of the last 3 years), the Brumbies and the Tahs.

Just remember though, we all have red blood.....!

Ollie

Frank Row (1)
G'day one and all....first time poster on GAGR. Proud RA member, and still a bit raspy from Saturday night's game, trying to cover for absentees and general dull atmosphere.

As someone once mentioned to me, why can't the Rebel Rising boys have a hit-out against a Premier/Shute side or someone like that in the preseason? There was a gulf in talent bigger than the Carpentaria between who ran out in the 1st half than the 2nd half. And in a city where rugby union is still trying to gain in traction in the media, (ironically the Herald Sun sponsor the Rebels but are the worst for articles), I think the Rebels need to take these trials seriously for the WHOLE 80 minutes! I don't buy position of Damien Hill that there was decent talent out there in the 2nd half and he expected better. They were always going to struggle, but still a 20 point turnaround wasn't even a pass mark.

If the 'stars' had stayed on for most of the game, then I'm sure we'd have won easily (Blues were bamboozled with DC and co.) and that in turn would have given us a bigger write-up in the 'coverage-on-results' media we have down here for them. Of course, there is the risk of injuries, but there are with rugby players at any time. Saffy couldn't even get on the park again from obviously a preseason training injury, not a game one.

I hope at the Crusaders game, which pains to say I won't be able to make, that the first team plays out most of the match. as it's a cracker of a side who have seemingly bonded well. THEN, there will be hopefully 2 weeks of great media to sell out AAMI Park for the 'Woop Woop' Waratahs game! (sorry, couldn't help myself :)) Cheers!

D

daz

I have made some comments about Mr. Vuna in my superficial after game post, but I will state it again; he is a scary individual both in talent and presence. I reckon half of the balls dropped in the crowd when both teams kicked for touch was because we all had his footsteps thundering in our ears.....

I also very much hope he carries that into the season proper, which is when we will all start to pass judgement.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm inclined to agree with Daz as I noted that there weren't a heap of the RA there. Then again, I just assumed that since it was GA all around the ground, they took the opportunity to try out the fancy seats before the season proper started. As I am a fancy seater for the season proper, I took the opportunity to check out the new seats for this year.

I agree that Vuna's tackling has certainly improved. Danny's efforts are much better too; although one of his trysaving tackles should have actually been a penalty as an attacker came off their line to impede his access to the ball carrier. Good desperation all around, and a bit of luck - especially KB (Kurtley Beale)'s trysaver in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.