• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rd 9: Brumbies vs Lions, Saturday 13 April 7:45pm AEST

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Again, inexplicably, we have a SA referee for a game in Australia involving a SA side. It just beggars belief.

Raster is essentially a 7s ref and imo not a very good one. He is not a quality 15s ref. Knows next to nothing about rolling mauls and the defensive offences committed by the Lions tonight. And given the Brumbies won with almost a bonus point it is not sour grapes on my part to bring this matter up.

There is just no justification for appointing a SA ref to take charge of a match in this country involving a SA team.

Overall, though, I think the standard of refereeing has been better this year than last.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didnt see it, howd Banks go? We have a jersey up for grabs here.

He played well......... not enough yet to catapult him into selecting frame, but he used his speed to cut through the Lions defences on a few occasions.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
All of Nasirani, Jones and Leota were nullified. So, it’s not like any one player has all the answers.

I thought Naisarani was outstanding in a beaten side. His work rate was very high and he still made yards even though the Rebels game plan basically allowed the Stormers defence to gang tackle the Rebels forward runners (yes - he did get driven back at times too). Personally I felt he cemented my view why he needs to be the Wallabies 8.

McCaffrey is playing well, but he is fighting with the likes of Dempsey, Samu, Jones, Salakaia-Loto & Hanigan for a place in the squad. Timu isn’t starting for Qld, is currently suspended and, I’m pretty sure, didn’t make the last Wallabies training camp, so McCaffrey is pretty safe there. I get your point with the ‘style of play comment’ but in reality this is the first year McCaffrey has laid down any serious claim, so it’s not really that surprising he hasn’t featured in any squads to date.

Personally I see him missing out as I believe Naisarani is first choice and Pocock, Samu & Dempsey can cover although his chances improve if Pocock remains injured.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Again, inexplicably, we have a SA referee for a game in Australia involving a SA side. It just beggars belief.

Raster is essentially a 7s ref and imo not a very good one. He is not a quality 15s ref. Knows next to nothing about rolling mauls and the defensive offences committed by the Lions tonight. And given the Brumbies won with almost a bonus point it is not sour grapes on my part to bring this matter up.

There is just no justification for appointing a SA ref to take charge of a match in this country involving a SA team.

Don't know why it beggars belief BR, don't know if you noticed South Africa wasn't playing. It was Lions/Brumbies and refs (I thought ) were given games on their ranking, and nothing else, as it should be.
I not Raster's biggest fan, maybe because I tend to think of him as a 7's ref, but worrying what country a ref comes form is pointless, unless you are accusing him of being biased because of it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Competition for 6/ 8 very high which is great for wallabies.

For me jones edging out LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and then Dempsey behind them

For 8 I could toss a coin between nasarani and mccaffrey as both in form and offer something different with Dempsey behind them but problem is if poey on bench with hooper starting he could cover 7 and 8.

If mccaffrey misses out on rwc squad spot I am going to be bummed as he has been incredibly consistent and deserves at least to be considered and looked at for initial rwc wider squad before they trim down to final confirmed players who get on the plane.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
To be clear, I agree McCaffrey will be unlucky if he missed out. I’ll leave any further comments on different players to the Wallabies thread.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
All fair comments and good debate

It’s nice to actually be able to debate positions/selections now that we’ve got some depth. Good times.

:)

Reactions: TSR

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Great game! Well done to the Brumbies. Pretty comprehensive win, Lions never looked in it. Thought Powell played well and gave good service. Don't know why the Brumbies are so hot and cold, but I enjoyed it. Lions FB is dangerous but couldn't tackle an u10's player.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Don't know why it beggars belief BR, don't know if you noticed South Africa wasn't playing. It was Lions/Brumbies and refs (I thought ) were given games on their ranking, and nothing else, as it should be.
I not Raster's biggest fan, maybe because I tend to think of him as a 7's ref, but worrying what country a ref comes form is pointless, unless you are accusing him of being biased because of it.
One mitigating factor last night that was fairly evident at the game was watching the Raters' AR's, especially Mike Fraser. Fraser is usually pretty good when he is on-field but last night on the sideline he was out of position many times and we also noticed he was focused on the infield play rather that what was happening on his side line at times. Maybe habits are hard to break, but I think the support Raster would have expected from the sidelines was not there last night,