• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rd 8: NSFW Waratahs vs The Auckland Blues

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A core role of a #8 -- perhaps the core role -- is providing go-forward. Something Whitelock is unmitigatedly terrible at providing. As per Fox Sports...

View attachment 10537

Thus far he's averaging 4 metres a carry and has generated one -- yes, one -- break. The Highlanders would probably get better production by sticking Ben Smith there. On the other hand, all of the other serious contenders for the backup #8 position average over 5 metres a carry and have generated 19-24 breaks each.

Of course, you could point out that there's a discrepancy in the minutes played between the players which will impact their stats -- m/carried aside. Fortunately, through accepting Jesus into our hearts the magic of a spreadsheet basic stats, we can normalise them and calculate contributions per 10 minutes of offence (and defence) played, yielding the following...

View attachment 10538

The part we're interested in here are the numbers under offence (CARRY, MATRES, BREAK). Just in case it's not clear, the tables says that for every 10 minutes of offence played, Whitelock can be expected to make 2.65 carries, making 10.76 metres. Ioane, 2.23 carries & 14.80 metres. Frizell, 3.31 carries & 16.84 metres, etc... As we can see, Whitelock is well and truly lagging behind Ioane, Savea and Frizell in terms of generating metres and breaks. Though he does try hard, as evident by his carries per 10 minutes. Perhaps some sort of sticker for effort is in order.
This is not terribly relevant to the thread but..... can you imagine trying to stop a team with Frizell, Savea and Ioane from making the gain line? God damb.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Good to see some consequences for one of the worst tackles attempted this season
Interestingly his old mate Drew Mitchell picked Beale in his Australian team of the week on Fox Sports. Banged on about his spark in attack and his touches in setting up tries for the Tahs. Left out the bit that he was a complete liability in defence and cost the Tahs more points than he created. Now dropped , don’t know how he kept a straight face .

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A core role of a #8 -- perhaps the core role -- is providing go-forward. Something Whitelock is unmitigatedly terrible at providing. As per Fox Sports...

View attachment 10537

Mate, while I not saying Flukey Luke should be in ABs , I have worry that anyone uses Foxsports stats to state their case for players to be in or out of test teams! We all saw how good Akira's figures were last year, yet he didn't play anywhere as near as he is playing this year, I think he playing great, but when you use stats you not looking at them all are you? Auks use Akira as a go forward ball carrier, because it suits their style, Canes biggest carrier is Ardie, doesn't make their 8 bad, just balance of loosies and associated jobs, interesting to see Clan have 2 in those stats, the only team that have 2 loosies in top carriers.
Stats, are very small part of how any team is picked. If you look at tackle stats,Flukey has made more tackles than Akira, he has missed more tackles than Akira, does that mean that he is a better or worse defender, or because he missed more, but has actually obviousy attempted more and not just let them go past? Think fortunately selectors actually watch the games and see how everyone operates in their team. Like I say I think Akira is finally looking like he is going to be a very good AB, but that doesn't stop Luke being a bloody good players either.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mate, while I not saying Flukey Luke should be in ABs , I have worry that anyone uses Foxsports stats to state their case for players to be in or out of test teams! We all saw how good Akira's figures were last year, yet he didn't play anywhere as near as he is playing this year, I think he playing great, but when you use stats you not looking at them all are you? Auks use Akira as a go forward ball carrier, because it suits their style, Canes biggest carrier is Ardie, doesn't make their 8 bad, just balance of loosies and associated jobs, interesting to see Clan have 2 in those stats, the only team that have 2 loosies in top carriers.
Stats, are very small part of how any team is picked. If you look at tackle stats,Flukey has made more tackles than Akira, he has missed more tackles than Akira, does that mean that he is a better or worse defender, or because he missed more, but has actually obviousy attempted more and not just let them go past? Think fortunately selectors actually watch the games and see how everyone operates in their team. Like I say I think Akira is finally looking like he is going to be a very good AB, but that doesn't stop Luke being a bloody good players either.

I think the difference is that Whitelock gives you a reliable return on his game time, Akira goes missing, drifting out of games, or at least used to. Also I think there was some off field issues?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interestingly his old mate Drew Mitchell picked Beale in his Australian team of the week on Fox Sports. Banged on about his spark in attack and his touches in setting up tries for the Tahs. Left out the bit that he was a complete liability in defence and cost the Tahs more points than he created. Now dropped , don’t know how he kept a straight face .
Is there a bigger waste of space with a rugby mic on Fox Sports?

Selling hard, brings nothing. It's a shame because he's apparently an okay guy - or used to be.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the difference is that Whitelock gives you a reliable return on his game time, Akira goes missing, drifting out of games, or at least used to. Also I think there was some off field issues?

Yep exactly fatprop, and Akira seems to be staying in the game more this year, by far his biggest improvement, and what he needed to do. I think perhaps his habit of cheap shots and being a bit lippy may of counted against him too, hopefully he's just maturing out of them too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is there a bigger waste of space with a rugby mic on Fox Sports?

Selling hard, brings nothing. It's a shame because he's apparently an okay guy - or used to be.

He add so little insight, even as a Tahs fan I find his bias grating