• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rd 12 2018 NSFW Waratahs vs Auckland Blues. 36 and 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Hooper should have politely been been chatting with Peyper following this, do you think K Reid would have been silent?

Poor captaincy.

No chance

As far as I’m aware if a defender does something illegal in the act of scoring you act as if he was never there, he has forgone his place on the field for that play by doing foul play. I don’t know where Jacos interpretation came from and what would actually qualify as a penalty try using his logic

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If I had my way, that would be a penalty try (illegal tackle when about to score) but not a yellow card.

The dude tackled his shoulder and it raised up to his head. A penalty sure but far too soft.

Nah about protecting the player - yellow card because slipped up from shoulder to head yank - if had of come in the head would probably have been red. And for that reason on initial contact would never have scored and would have been put into touch. Both TMO and ref got it right which is yellow card...was never red and was never penalty try.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Southsider's right, a player deemed to have committed foul play is then deemed to have taken no part in the play. YC-worthy tackle when the attacking player would otherwise have scored is a PT all day long.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Southsider's right, a player deemed to have committed foul play is then deemed to have taken no part in the play. YC-worthy tackle when the attacking player would otherwise have scored is a PT all day long.
I was happy enough with just a yellow but given that’s the law that’s a pretty bad miss by Peyper and the TMO then.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
The IRB site is unavailable for some reason, but define "act of scoring". If ~5 metres out is deemed to be "in the act of scoring" then there should be a lot more penalty tries.

EDIT: Someone on Reddit has posted what appears to be the relevant law:

9.A.1 Method of Scoring. Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.

Unless there's more to it, that's not exactly clear and conclusive for mine.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Unpopular opinion time - Folau the ultimate one trick pony. People will remember his aerial skills from this game, which are world's best. But for a bloke who has played pro rugby for 6+ years he cannot pass a ball for shit. He is not even at amateur level with passing and the first Blues try is directly attributable to this absolute failure to develop a fundamental skill. I tewll you what Israel, you what a bit fat contract learn to pass or F&^%$ off.

Taquele - we all know you can run with the ball, but there is another phase of play called defence - learn to do it.
Forwards all - if the Blues do not let go off the tackled player Hooper needs to bring this up with Peyper. If he doesn't address the situation use the slipper. If he penalises a Waratah for that tell him outright it will continue unless he gets them off the tackled player, and say it loud enough to be heard on the mic for the referee review.

The skill levels of the Australian sides are just F^%$%ing abysmal. Just woeful. Don't forget this is the worst NZ side by a very long way.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Nah about protecting the player - yellow card because slipped up from shoulder to head yank - if had of come in the head would probably have been red. And for that reason on initial contact would never have scored and would have been put into touch. Both TMO and ref got it right which is yellow card.was never red and was never penalty try.

I know it's about protecting players but it's like they've lobotomised today's referees. I mean you can see it in their brains, slowly rolling over when they review things, they look scared shitless half the time. They've basically said to themselves "it is impossible to differentiate between a dangerous tackle and one where there is incidental contact with the head". You might argue they're the somewhat same thing AND for the purposes of consistency this way works. Fair enough, I just think it's a little soft and inflexible. The one in question today is not exactly a bad call at all but I just have a different opinion.

I think this is why Nigel Owens gets a lot of credit (in most parts of the world), he thinks, acts and communicates differently than 80% of other refs. Uses a lot of common sense.

They called a head high tackle in the earlier game where the guy just put his arm on top of the shoulder (with zero contact with the head). There was a 5 second bit of silence from the commentators, you could tell what they were thinking, lol.

Side note: Isn't Folau an impressive physical specimen, just bigger and faster than everyone else.

2nd side note: When is someone gonna teach Akira Ioane how to be an All Black and not an imbecile?

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
^Foley didn't exactly help out with his skill either did he Gnostic? I mean he's a 10 for crying out loud.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
^Foley didn't exactly help out with his skill either did he Gnostic? I mean he's a 10 for crying out loud.

One of the first things I learnt as a Rugby player is - do not pass the shit on. Folau is a back & is getting paid the big bucks. I'd expect him to tuck the ball under his arm & use that big frame to secure the ball. Foley's pass was bad but he never should have been given the ball in that case.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Hmmm. Penalty 10 metres out and in the middle of the field. If they could reproduce that solid scrum, then there's every chance that A.Ioane wouldn't be stopped from there. Still, taking the three is the safe option.

EDIT: Should definitely be scrumming a lot now, I think.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unpopular opinion time - Folau the ultimate one trick pony. People will remember his aerial skills from this game, which are world's best. But for a bloke who has played pro rugby for 6+ years he cannot pass a ball for shit. He is not even at amateur level with passing and the first Blues try is directly attributable to this absolute failure to develop a fundamental skill. I tewll you what Israel, you what a bit fat contract learn to pass or F&^%$ off.

Taquele - we all know you can run with the ball, but there is another phase of play called defence - learn to do it.

Forwards all - if the Blues do not let go off the tackled player Hooper needs to bring this up with Peyper. If he doesn't address the situation use the slipper. If he penalises a Waratah for that tell him outright it will continue unless he gets them off the tackled player, and say it loud enough to be heard on the mic for the referee review.

The skill levels of the Australian sides are just F^%$%ing abysmal. Just woeful. Don't forget this is the worst NZ side by a very long way.

Ah well at least blues will win tonight so we don't have any false delusions that Oz professional Super Rugby rugby in serious problems

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Does anyone have a current location for Kearns? Whatever happens in the next 25 min there's gunna be Tears of Phil Kearns fo' sho.....

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Do the Blues seize up once they reach the 22? They try to play 5 metre rugby 20 metres out.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
*Sigh* Should've scrummed it that second time. Now the momentum has swung back.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Folau jumping off the back off a Giraffe on stilts would've struggled to pull that kick in.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

no he didn't but when receiving shit under pressure it is exceptional to be able to clean it up and Australia hasn't had an exceptional player at 10 with their hands since Lynagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.