• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure on my thoughts of Deans coming to the Reds, but have to admit that he is exactly the sort of proven professional coach that fits the CV I would hope for. I'm certainly more comfortable with the idea than the latest Ballymore carpark applicant, with respect to the dedicated Heenan fans, that means for me Deans > Heenan.

Yes. I personally would like to see Heenan afforded some mentorship. I think anyone would be foolish to think Dean's wouldn't have anything to offer, but there may be other equally suitable/better candidates out there.

Reactions: dru

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With the Lord (Laurie) finishing up with the Brumbies at the end of this season, any chance we could see him being snapped up join to the Reds in any kind of capacity (e.g. forwards coach, scrum coach). He would be enormous in turning around the struggling Reds pack.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
With the Lord (Laurie) finishing up with the Brumbies at the end of this season, any chance we could see him being snapped up join to the Reds in any kind of capacity (e.g. forwards coach, scrum coach). He would be enormous in turning around the struggling Reds pack.
He's retiring from full time coaching as far as I'm aware, so I can't see him taking another super role. If he plans on retiring back to Queensland it'd be great to have him involved somehow though, maybe in a coaching development role.

I think it's probably more likely he's setup in Canberra to retire there though, hopefully RA taps him for some sort of ongoing role in the game.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we need a Hype man - Cheika would be more impactful then Deans. Pay the cash hard for a couple years, Get it turned around THEN go for a steadier hand, the queensland link etc blah.

Don't throw a rookie coach like Heenan or a Qlder heart and soul Taylor like person in with with lacking squad. Reds have already scoured the local market quite deep for players - getting MORE teenagers and prem players won't make us stronger. We need an aggressive experienced coach with connections and influence around the world and a willingness to build a professional team that will win games, not a feel good Qld rep team.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's retiring from full time coaching as far as I'm aware, so I can't see him taking another super role. If he plans on retiring back to Queensland it'd be great to have him involved somehow though, maybe in a coaching development role.

I think it's probably more likely he's setup in Canberra to retire there though, hopefully Rugby Australia taps him for some sort of ongoing role in the game.
We should try to get him part time, has any team got a director of forwards coaches?

Maybe we could have him work with a forwards coach a day a week or online and discuss what he is seeing and what should be happening.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not thrilled on Kalani. He’s got a few years to mature.
The issue being that he’s already had a few years to mature in the Reds’ setup. He started well this season, but has really fallen off in recent weeks.

For his and the Reds’ sake, I hope his regression is a blip and his earlier season form is indicative of the next couple of years.

Reactions: Ged

Putmeoncoach

Herbert Moran (7)
The issue being that he’s already had a few years to mature in the Reds’ setup. He started well this season, but has really fallen off in recent weeks.

For his and the Reds’ sake, I hope his regression is a blip and his earlier season form is indicative of the next couple of years.
After watching him in the U20’s I just didn’t like his attitude. Numerous times I’ve seen the ball turned over when he could have gotten involved to prevent his side from losing possession. Instead he just puts his hands up in the air and hangs his head.

Reactions: Ged

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
After watching him in the U20’s I just didn’t like his attitude. Numerous times I’ve seen the ball turned over when he could have gotten involved to prevent his side from losing possession. Instead he just puts his hands up in the air and hangs his head.
I feel most observers here think similarly - saying his form was better at the start of the season may have been a misnomer, rather it was his attitude around the park (and some decent footy).

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've heard a couple of comments and suggestions both within this forum and on The Roar suggesting the Reds should chase Cheika as coach. The argument being that he would create publicity and shake things up. I still remember the disaster that was the hiring of Eddie Jones as Reds coach. My opinion is that it's nothing more than a short term sugar hit hiring someone like Chekia and won't benefit the Reds long term. I also have reservations about his technical nous, especially comments out of the Wallabies that oppositions were never analysed, instead relying on their own game plan to get the job done. At Super Rugby level, I believe players still need coaching. So many young players out of school or the academy systems still developing their core skill sets. I think a steadier, more technical coaching team is what the Reds need moving forward.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's pretty obviously a heavy hitter coach is being lined up. Lots of key matchday 23 personnel being announced as re-signed over the last month.

The Reds being able to sell themselves to a coach is also a big part of any deal, so having a heap of core players re-commit early on is obviously a key part of their sales process.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Not thrilled on Kalani. He’s got a few years to mature.

The kid is 21 years old though? There wouldn't be many scrum halves who would join the Reds knowing they'll be second fiddle to Tate. When you compare all the scrum halves we've had in perhaps the last 6-8 years (Frisby, Tuttle, Moses, Tata, Khalani, Spencer). I'd dare say we've come out on top?

Putmeoncoach

Herbert Moran (7)
The kid is 21 years old though? There wouldn't be many scrum halves who would join the Reds knowing they'll be second fiddle to Tate. When you compare all the scrum halves we've had in perhaps the last 6-8 years (Frisby, Tuttle, Moses, Tata, Khalani, Spencer). I'd dare say we've come out on top?
Didn’t Bobby Tuttle Captain Australian A last year?

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Kalani was playing good rugby at the back end of last season with UQ and started this season well, i don't mind his decision to go to NZ and play in the NPC at season end, I think it will be good for him to get out of his comfort zone and help him grow up a bit.