• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quarter Final: Brumbies v Highlanders Sat 8th 7.35PM @ GIO STADIUM

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well done Brumbies. Even with a rather concerning scrum you came through with a pretty convincing win.

Is Slipper a definate out next week? if so, I have some concerns coming up against the Blues.

I know Muirhead cops a bit for not being seen as a headline winger, but he really does deserve kudos for his effort and execution tonight.

Wright is looking pretty assured playing his game.

I thought Hooper, Bobby V, Brown and a number of players had excellent games, playing their roll upfront.

Overall I'm also just really happy to still have an Australian team to cheer on next week, though I will say the crowd at the game was a tad disappointing in turnout, as is this match thread when compared to the attention that other teams garner.

griffins

Watty Friend (18)
He’s also really dumb. Don’t forget that
Yeh and also playing really well.

Brums getting massive pay out of regaining their contestable kicks tonight. Noah, Lonergan (minus one that was undercooked) and Goddard all good. Kept us in their half and got us out of trouble a couple of times after our attack stalled.

Valetini MOTM for mine. Muirhead got it at the ground and he was good but the defensive read for the Highlanders try was average.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah and over the course of the game they beat them in lineouts the field and the scoreboard.. scrum wasn't great but down to third choice LHP and second choice hooker and a prop coming back from a year long injury..

I don't know what you really want from them
I was talking about scrums

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I was talking about scrums
You then decided to go through the whole pack on the difference, and back row we had Bobby V and a rookie Super Rugby player and another Super player.

Scrum wasn't good but it's disingenuous to suggest it was a Wallabies scrum vs an NPC... You're wrong, plain and simple. It's not the Wallabies scrum and it's not an NPC scrum..

Just stop

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
YTB. First time is seen tommy wright make a mistake this year but he played a cracker.

Muerhead such a solid player. Could be a wallaby in a different time

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
You then decided to go through the whole pack on the difference, and back row we had Bobby V and a rookie Super Rugby player and another Super player.

Scrum wasn't good but it's disingenuous to suggest it was a Wallabies scrum vs an NPC... You're wrong, plain and simple. It's not the Wallabies scrum and it's not an NPC scrum..

Just stop
Not cause some new Wallabies will be picked from this Brumbies team cause it's the best Aussie side (Maybe Charlie Cale) Meanwhile I can't see many Landers players earning a black jersey this season

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He’s also really dumb. Don’t forget that
GG Brumbies. Now they real finals can begin. Good luck next week.

1717856374959.gif

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Again, we see the importance of someone like Charlie Cale to the Brumbies. With the scrum going backwards and being penalised at almost every one of them in the first half, the Highlanders were enjoying a glut of possession and territory, but Cale's lineout steals and the pressure he puts on the opposition lineout saw some evening out of possession. In the second half, I think the first scrum was around the 70 minute mark when Ikky put a bit too much juice in his kick through and the ball went dead. Add to his lineout prowess his value around the ground in both attack and defence, and he is a vital cog in the team. I just think Bernie should be playing him the whole game and not substituting around the 60 min mark.

Scrum aside, the Brumbies forwards really got on top of the Landers' pack. Their physicality was almost as good as the best we see from the likes of the Blues, Chiefs and Hurricanes. Not sure it will quite match what the Blues will bring next week at Eden Park.

Outstanding games from Rob Valetini, Jahrome Brown, Charlie Cale and Tom Wright.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Rob Valetini is such an amazing player. Makes metres in contact better than just about anyone else going around at the moment. So many time when the Brumbies are.in a bit of trouble he gets over the advantage line and then they are off.

I reckon he's under rated even now, as a John Eales medallist.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wonderful second half Brumbies. Absolutely went up a level and Highlanders couldn't go with them.

Brumbies crowds have been disappointing for years. The players do their bit.

whitefalcon

Jim Clark (26)
Brumbies crowds have been disappointing for years. The players do their bit.
I was expecting a bigger crowd for a quarter, it seems that as someone else said, its the same people each week. 8800 for a final is dissapointing.

I haven't watched the replay but an observation at the game was that Gardiner was very harsh on the brumbies in the first half before it evened up in the 2nd. Not sure if that's accurate or just what I perceived though.

griffins

Watty Friend (18)
I was expecting a bigger crowd for a quarter, it seems that as someone else said, its the same people each week. 8800 for a final is dissapointing.

I haven't watched the replay but an observation at the game was that Gardiner was very harsh on the brumbies in the first half before it evened up in the 2nd. Not sure if that's accurate or just what I perceived though.
Think Brums were just lucky there were only 2 scrums in the whole second half...