• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

SubjectiveStan

Frank Row (1)
Hi guys, new to the forum here. Have watched the games from the weekend and have to say my stand outs were 100% Harry McLaughlin-Phillips and Kye Oates. Any others worthy of mention?

Last edited:

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knee jerk reaction by the man in the middle. Just a reflex tackle and wasn’t dangerous to the ball carrier. As we know more concussions caused from tackling than being tackled.
It may have been shared before, but I'd love to see that data re prevalence of concussion as the tackler vs being tackled.

It's not on Stan which is annoying because I'd love to have a more informed opinion, though I think you nailed it in your post above if there is no mitigation. If there is high danger due to the speed/ force/ angle or whatever you like - then it's red. Not the ball carriers job to slow down into contact to help the tackler get a lighter sentence - just drop your body height, simple.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Where do Taj Annan & Creighton stand in the conversation of future #10 for the Reds?
Annan has the physical build. Yet to see his skill on display for a solid 80. Thorn must rate him for a start. My preference is a tall and solid 10. Creighton lacks skill and Harry lacks height for the best optioned player.

And read today that Flook has played a bit of 10. Another option and a good one.

Last edited:

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Think you reading more into my comment than what was intended. Was just trying to point out the fact that they both youngsters and we will loose the Souths 10 when he comes of contract in a couple of years as he will not be content to bench for Lynagh and rightfully so. Did not say he could displace any other Aussie Super Rugby 10's now but I do think he will in time to come.

But whiles you brought up the point:

I don't think Lynagh can displace any other Super Rugby 10 either. I am sorry but I am not sold on Lynach yet, all I have seen up until now is a bit of kicking, hanging out the back waiting for opportunities that in most cases never comes and a lot of missed tackles. I keep on hearing he is still young and will grow into his body. Saw him the other day, he unfortunately is always, even at his biggest, in years to come, going to be a small player that will really have to work very hard on his tackling technique if he wants to survive in the modern game. I personally, and this only me, can not see how a you can justify having to hide a player that gets payed to play the game. How do we get to a point that we need to hide professional rugby players in defense? Do we really have no one better in QLD? Keep on hearing it is not an age thing, if you good enough you old enough and then when they stuff up they are just youngsters that will grow over time. If you can not defend your channel, you are not good enough and therefore not old enough, needs to work both ways. At this point I will back the Souths 10 to play over Lynagh everyday of the week. He creates opportunities, not wait for them. He defends his own channel and don't hide on the wing. He takes on the line, gets in opposition's face and again, defends his own channel. We all knows he will always play second fiddle to Lynach, now and in years to come and that is why I just gave my humble submission that we will loose the Souths 10 and rightfully so as nobody needs to bench for a team if you could be a starter in another team in the same comp.
What bollocks. Let’s just wait and see what Lynagh can produce before you continue down this path. Lynagh has the head start and his standing to lose (not loose). Your comments are loose.

Maybe Harry could look to move to halfback. Low to the ground and potentially quick ball off the ground.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
It may have been shared before, but I'd love to see that data re prevalence of concussion as the tackler vs being tackled.

It's not on Stan which is annoying because I'd love to have a more informed opinion, though I think you nailed it in your post above if there is no mitigation. If there is high danger due to the speed/ force/ angle or whatever you like - then it's red. Not the ball carriers job to slow down into contact to help the tackler get a lighter sentence - just drop your body height, simple.
I cannot find data to back up my statement so it’s more anecdotal and based on watching the game. One thing is clear and that’s the issue of brain injury in rugby. Not necessarily via concussions but the aggregate of impacts - scrums, tackles, being tackled, mauls, clean outs at the ruck etc over a player’s career. The Drake Foundation has some really interesting reading. Good to be educated further on this.

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)
What bollocks. Let’s just wait and see what Lynagh can produce before you continue down this path. Lynagh has the head start and his standing to lose (not loose). Your comments are loose.

Maybe Harry could look to move to halfback. Low to the ground and potentially quick ball off the ground.
Moving Harry to 9 can work, but who will defend in the 10 channel if we move Harry to 9?

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I believe I saw it in the studies the RFU referred to on their second attempt at communicating the new rules, or possibly it was in the data RA referred to in their comms. Either way, it exists - from memory it was about a 70-30 split (tackler higher incidence)

Brian O’Driscoll

Stan Wickham (3)
Annan has the physical build. Yet to see his skill on display for a solid 80. Thorn must rate him for a start. My preference is a tall and solid 10. Creighton lacks skill and Harry lacks height for the best optioned player.

And read today that Flook has played a bit of 10. Another option and a good one.
HMP is a very good player better than Lynagh, Creighton and Annan. Size isn’t everything but skill is and HMP has it in spades. In regards to Flook he is a 13/winger definitely not a 10. Just because somebody played a position when they were younger doesn’t mean they can play it at a higher level ‍♂️

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
HMP is a very good player better than Lynagh, Creighton and Annan. Size isn’t everything but skill is and HMP has it in spades. In regards to Flook he is a 13/winger definitely not a 10. Just because somebody played a position when they were younger doesn’t mean they can play it at a higher level ‍♂️
To be fair I can only go off Souths against UQ. The performance in that game didn’t demonstrate Harry was better that Lynagh. So why has Thorn gone with Lynagh? How do you think he stacks up against JOC (James O'Connor).
For the best rugby at the Reds I hope he is up there with Lynagh at some point. Nothing like a good fight for a position. They are totally different players and it will come down to who goes forward because at this point there is nothing to compare. One is a super player and one a club player. My money is on Lynagh.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Lynagh is a year of ahead of HMP, and has had more time in the Reds system to learn and press his point, it’s that simple

HMP is signed until 2025 like Lynagh, so clearly he is rated highly, they’ll both have their opportunities to impress and earn the starting 10. A bit of competition and slightly different styles is healthy.

Annan, HMP and Lynagh are all still incredibly young, no need for over the top criticism

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lynagh is a year of ahead of HMP, and has had more time in the Reds system to learn and press his point, it’s that simple

HMP is signed until 2025 like Lynagh, so clearly he is rated highly, they’ll both have their opportunities to impress and earn the starting 10. A bit of competition and slightly different styles is healthy.
U20s will be telling. Lynagh, Bowen, M Gordon and Harry. I did hear Mason Gordon wants to move to fullback.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
U20s will be telling. Lynagh, Bowen, M Gordon and Harry. I did hear Mason Gordon wants to move to fullback.
Smart idea if he can handle it. More Super Rugby jobs at 15 than 10 right now. Bowens involvement in last years squad I think will have him get the first start. If Wilson is the 9 as well since they play together week to week.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Personally I see guys at all levels in Rugby and League getting head knocks now from head clashes due to the increased tackle height. Rugby want to hold the ball carrier up and League want to slow the play the ball. You can get concussed through no fault of your own now, where I think traditionally most concussions were foul play or poor technique going low and getting your head on the wrong side.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Personally I see guys at all levels in Rugby and League getting head knocks now from head clashes due to the increased tackle height. Rugby want to hold the ball carrier up and League want to slow the play the ball. You can get concussed through no fault of your own now, where I think traditionally most concussions were foul play or poor technique going low and getting your head on the wrong side.
That article details the level of risk associated with different types of tackles. It's a good read, though the TL;DR version is, the lower the tackle height, the lower the risk of concussion for all involved.

On that last point I'd say while the dynamics of the game have definitely changes as the game has evolved (players are bigger/ fast, laws have changed, tactics have changed), we're also better at recognising HI's than before, and understanding the long term consequences which would explain the increased incidence rate.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
LOL at the autocorrect spelling labelling it the Dave Rennie version. I'm guessing by the amount of penalties the Wallabies gave away he wasn't exactly monitoring tackle height too much.

MoneyBill685

Ted Fahey (11)

Just watched the tackle and what a ridiculous call by the referee who mind you I've seen referee super rugby games.

talk about killing a contest

you can talk about mitigation blah blah blah.....if you've played or watched rugby you know what is a red card and that was not. The defender almost jumped back to his feet quicker than the defender did.

Embarrassing.

• Dislike
Reactions: Ras