• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It must be fun beating any team that has Connor Vest in it. He was a niggly pest all game, and this isn’t an insult - it’s great and what makes club footy so great. Fun game to watch - go Magpies!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any standout players from the various matches? New players making a mark?

Sebastian Hanna is the name to mention.

I saw he scored 5 tries, (hat trick before half time)

I watched the highlights of that game and Hanna looks like a weapon in counter attack.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hanna might take Brothers back to the days at Crosby when Dylan & Dallan Murphy would traumatise opposition sides with long range counter attack tries.
I think this was Hanna’s first game for Brothers after moving over from Souths in the offseason.
Recruit of the season after 2 rounds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jono Kent apparently fitting in quite well down at Brothers, sounds like Adams could be out for a while so Jono should get a decent crack in the starting 15. Will be interesting to see what happens with Creighton/JOC (James O'Connor) in the Reds over the next few weeks, Kent may finally get to play flyhalf after leaving GPS and getting shafted at Wests (which is fair enough with the players there).

I'm expecting GPS to fire after the Easter break. Sounds like the Fiji trip was a bit too much fun for some of the boys, has taken them a while to come back down to earth. 2 weeks off and some heavy sessions will have them sorted out though.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I feel like we might be seeing a bit of a Vunivalu in club rugby going forward.

how do you press your claim for world cup when you can’t make reds 23You do a Phil Kearns and do it from club rugby.

if Eddie jones is suddenly watching wests games to keep tabs on Vunivalu then there might be another clubland bolter still to come.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jono Kent apparently fitting in quite well down at Brothers, sounds like Adams could be out for a while so Jono should get a decent crack in the starting 15. Will be interesting to see what happens with Creighton/JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) in the Reds over the next few weeks, Kent may finally get to play flyhalf after leaving GPS and getting shafted at Wests (which is fair enough with the players there).

I'm expecting GPS to fire after the Easter break. Sounds like the Fiji trip was a bit too much fun for some of the boys, has taken them a while to come back down to earth. 2 weeks off and some heavy sessions will have them sorted out though.

good for Jono Kent.

that could be Werchon out there playing 15 for brothers and I’m sure Kent would of pressed his claim to be in these wests premier grade team first 2 weeks minuses the reds/rebels contingents… think Kent in the better position to hold his starting job though.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Vunivalu should go to another club with decent centres who get the ball to their wingers. Maybe Brothers. Didn’t their wingers score 6 tries on the weekend?

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Wests scored 6 tries - 4 by the forwards and 2 from their captain (centre).

I am over rolling maul tries. They’ve taken over the game and the referees go into a mode where they only referee the defensive side looking for fault. How many finish in penalties, yellow cards or pushover tries? I think it’s a blight on rugby and laws need to be adjusted.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wests scored 6 tries - 4 by the forwards and 2 from their captain (centre).

I am over rolling maul tries. They’ve taken over the game and the referees go into a mode where they only referee the defensive side looking for fault. How many finish in penalties, yellow cards or pushover tries? I think it’s a blight on rugby and laws need to be adjusted.

This is rugby. Don’t give silly penalties and you won’t have these piggyback scoring opportunities off dominate set piece

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Fair point SX - I agree it’s part of rugby but is now an opaque tactic that the average fan has no clue what is legal and what is not. A bit like scrums I suppose.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fair point SX - I agree it’s part of rugby but is now an opaque tactic that the average fan has no clue what is legal and what is not. A bit like scrums I suppose.
Sounds like a you problem. QRRA would be happy to have you down at an education session to learn how this part of the game is referreed

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sounds like a you problem. QRRA would be happy to have you down at an education session to learn how this part of the game is referreed

Sounds like a valid discussion point, don't be so quick to shut someone down. The maul has gone through a few law changes during it's lifespan e.g. the ball now being transferred via hands to the back instead of the ball carrier being able to slide themselves to the back.

I've been haunting these forums for a number of years and there would be dozens of pages of posters discussing their issues with the maul.

I actually don't think the issue is as prevalent in clubland as it is during professional games. Teams at Super Rugby and international level are so well drilled that stopping what is essentially a full team obstruction has become nearly impossible.

There are definitely some constructive points around how this part of the game could be improved, for example less leniency being given to the attacking side once the maul has become stationary, instead of allowing them a chance to regroup and move forward.

The lineout and the maul are essential parts of rugby DNA, but in an era where there are coaches who specifically focus on how to create an unbreakable wall of bodies, the way it is policed probably needs another review.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sounds like a valid discussion point, don't be so quick to shut someone down. The maul has gone through a few law changes during it's lifespan e.g. the ball now being transferred via hands to the back instead of the ball carrier being able to slide themselves to the back.
Definitely not a valid discussion point if the crux of the argument is based on a frivolous and baseless attack on community referees and definitely deserves to be shut down.

Of course, no individual area of the game should escape the microscope whether that be law reform or referee performance but idiots making sweeping generalisations such as "referees only looking at the defensive side of the maul" doesn't progress the game forward either. Especially since the majority of law changes that you're referring to in recent years have focused heavily on policing the attacking side.

Be good if the peanut gallery could support these claims with genuine, evidence-based commentary rather than side mouth dribble after their team has been dominated by a good rolling maul. If you don't understand how something works - just say so.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Be good if the peanut gallery could support these claims with genuine, evidence-based commentary rather than side mouth dribble after their team has been dominated by a good rolling maul. If you don't understand how something works - just say so.

You've come to an anonymous rugby forum, if you want genuine, evidence-based commentary, you've come to the wrong place.