• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I see GPS are advertising for a CEO. Paying good money too by the looks of things. Sounds like it was written with someone in mind.

Not sure how a successful playing career with representation at the highest level is relevant to a CEO.

http://www.seek.com.au/job/25641695

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Not sure how a successful playing career with representation at the highest level is relevant to a CEO.

http://www.seek.com.au/job/25641695

Whatever happened to grassroots footy?

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Rugby clubs should have volunteering presidents not CEO's.

I am alarmingly worried with what's in store for Brisbane Club Rugby beyond 2014.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whatever happened to grassroots footy?

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. Rugby clubs should have volunteering presidents not CEO's.

I am alarmingly worried with what's in store for Brisbane Club Rugby beyond 2014.

Nice spin but incorporated associations cannot have CEOs in the true sense as it restricts the capacity of directors to be paid. That is why most not for profits become companies limited by guarantee as they grow. This is what the QRU became so Terry Doyle could be CEO.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Nice spin but incorporated associations cannot have CEOs in the true sense as it restricts the capacity of directors to be paid. That is why most not for profits become companies limited by guarantee as they grow. This is what the QRU became so Terry Doyle could be CEO.

Sorry I am having trouble understanding what you mean? So your in favour of money coming out of the grassroots campaign to feed the fat cat CEO of a amateur sporting organisation.

Terry Doyle CEO of QRU is nothing like PAID FAT CAT of Amateur GPS.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
My point is legally they cannot have an employee on the board as an executive director of an incorporated association.
What they do with their money is their business.
I dare say that if so so called fat cat doesn't raise his salary plus after the 1st year then the position will evaporate with the initial start up capital wasted.
We need to be careful we don't stifle clubs being commercially aggressive. If every club is a $1 chook raffle club then eventually they will all disappear the moment they strike any hardship.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
My point is legally they cannot have an employee on the board as an executive director of an incorporated association.
What they do with their money is their business.
I dare say that if so so called fat cat doesn't raise his salary plus after the 1st year then the position will evaporate with the initial start up capital wasted.
We need to be careful we don't stifle clubs being commercially aggressive. If every club is a $1 chook raffle club then eventually they will all disappear the moment they strike any hardship.

That's true, It's their business.

I just thought a club like GPS who already has a fantastic volunteer grassroot campaign would have someone in their clubland who'd step up and do the role for free. They certainly have a passionate brigade of gallopers.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS recently voted and approved the merger of the junior and senior clubs into one entity, making it the largest (playing numbers wise) rugby club in the southern hemisphere, I don't know where to get the figures to confirm that but still it is lots of players. Having a professional come in to run the show seems like the right move, I think youll find though that the advertisement was more a formality and the position will be taken by either Anthony Herbert (current club president) or Matt Turner as they both do similar roles currently.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's interesting seeing Jeeps Gallopers merging with the juniors Ashgrove Emus as they were once called. I thought Easts had the biggest numbers?

Jeeps should have a better year in 2014, with the new coaching appointments. With Ashgrove, Grammar and SPLC XV players featuring heavily in Colts.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
GPS have just shy of 1200 juniors. Easts are just over 900, I think Easts were larger before Riverside split away.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
GPS have just shy of 1200 juniors. Easts are just over 900, I think Easts were larger before Riverside split away.

That is sooooooooooooooooo good for the game - obviously both clubs have worked hard to facilitate those kids and their Mums (and Fathers)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
When you add Albany Creek to the GPS figure, they were once a feeder club, it becomes a huge figure. Also Brothers have just had to find more space to facilitate teams this year in the juniors so rugby is growing.

Back to Premier rugby though. No news on dates for the season? Anyone here high up enough to be in the know?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Feedback I've heard was either a 22 March start OR 5/12 April or something like that. Will know more in the next 7-10 days once the possible Fox Sports deal is completed.
Apparently the QRU are not overly keen on the concept. Doesn't fit in their rugby model. Which is completely understandable.
If it goes ahead, looking at a 23 August start for National Club Comp.
Nobody really knows the criteria to get in or how it will work but it looks like ARU and Super Rugby contracted players will be fed into these clubs to keep them playing at the "next level".
E.g. It could be a Norths jersey on TV, but minimal actual Norths players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.