• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Well I had to travel out to Nerang on the week-end (game was transferred due to finals) to watch the boys take on Sunnybank. I arrived just in time to witness the Prem Colts lose on the bell and it went downhill from there. We were never in it (scored first and also last however) and I think Sunnybank still had a couple of their reps out. I know Holmes and Lucas were on the bench. It will be an enormous match-up between them and Uni.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How things have changed since the start of the season. A few people were saying that Easts would go through undefeated but they are a chance of missing the 4. They will be really keen for Norths to get up this weekend as it will cement their spot in the top 4 but GPS had a big win over Wests so I can't see them dropping out of the race.

Brothers and Uni would be the teams to beat at the moment and the 2 most likely top play off for the major prize.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How things have changed since the start of the season. A few people were saying that Easts would go through undefeated but they are a chance of missing the 4. They will be really keen for Norths to get up this weekend as it will cement their spot in the top 4 but GPS had a big win over Wests so I can't see them dropping out of the race.

Brothers and Uni would be the teams to beat at the moment and the 2 most likely top play off for the major prize.

To be fair, a club that has relatively few representative players (in comparison to Uni and Sunnybank) to start with has done well to be in the top 3 at all, let alone with the injury toll Easts has had this year. Yes it's been said on here alot, but the fact is that the Tigers are still in contention, having played most of the year without Reds Quirk and Toua, not to mention Academy players and team regulars. I think if we can still make the Semi's that's an achievement enough.

But i do agree with Uni and the Filth being the top sides, and will probably contest the final.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Sadly for Easts, if they do make the Top Four (still a big ask) they will be up against it trying to get past the first week of finals. Just too much disruption throughout the season and now Fuller is away with the Force, and he was missed last week.

Uni outright favourite I would have to say, and I reckon Sunnybank the smokey by virtue of all their Reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To be fair, a club that has relatively few representative players (in comparison to Uni and Sunnybank) to start with has done well to be in the top 3 at all, let alone with the injury toll Easts has had this year. Yes it's been said on here alot, but the fact is that the Tigers are still in contention, having played most of the year without Reds Quirk and Toua, not to mention Academy players and team regulars. I think if we can still make the Semi's that's an achievement enough.

But i do agree with Uni and the Filth being the top sides, and will probably contest the final.

Sorry Tigerland I only posted half a thought. I would have been great if Easts had remained injury free this year and really stuck it to some of the others. Also they are still in the running. A long shot but stranger things have happened.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Easts took care of the filth 16-13
Sunny bank 45 v sunny coast 16
Uni 55 d Wests 0
Jeepsters 25 d Norfs 8
Gold Coast 26 d Magpies 12

All pretty predictable except for the mighty Tigers!

T

tranquility

Someone please post a review of the Easts match, that is a fantastic result!

Up the tigers

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Someone please post a review of the Easts match, that is a fantastic result!

Up the tigers

Easts put out one of their gutsiest performances in recent years against Brothers infront of a large and vocal Bottomley Park crowd.

From the outset it was clear neither side was going to give the other any easy points, with brutal defence and good discipline keeping the scores 3-3 for most of the first period. A tight arm wrestle in the forwards but the Dallan Murphy controlled Brothers backline looked dangerous, creating many half chances. Right before the break, thanks to some great work from Tigers center Skelton, hooker Sean Fell barged over for Easts first and only try of the match. Brandon added the extra's for a 10-3 scoreline. Before the end of the half, Reds winger Dom Shipperley made an impressive break down the right hand side beating numerous defenders, before young Tigers scrumhalf Tomlinson produced a great cover tackle to knock him into touch 5m out.

After the break Brothers controlled territory and possession for almost the whole second period, with Murphy and Shipperley looking dangerous. They finally went over for a well worked try to equal the scores. Easts rarley made it into the Filth's half but Krelle added a 40m penalty before Murphy returned to favour soon after.

The crowd really lifted in the last quater of the game, as the Easts forwards, lead by blindside Bertini and props Bermingham and Murphy, putting on some brutal defence. Finally a penalty was awarded after a massive scrum took the feed off Brothers and Krelle kicked over a monster 50m to send the crowd into a fit. In a tense finish the tigers managed to hold on despite another Shipperley raid.

Great win for the Tigers, one of the toughest games of club footy I've seen in recent years.

Easts best: Bertini, Murphy, Bermingham
Brothers: Shipperley, Murphy

Just a few side notes aswell. I'm not sure why Felsman wasn't brought on for Brothers, winger Pyers added nothing and made a few obvious mistakes, Felsman's x-factor could of proved beneficial. Also young flanker Luke Beauchamp as brilliant for the Filth at line-out time, great jumper.

For Easts, Matt Brandon has been out of form in the past two games, he is crabbing across field too often, cramping up his outside runners. But I've been told he is pushing through injury and shouldn't be playing at all, so credit to him. Easts scrum, in particular their props has been great of late, Michael Bermingham is loving the physicality of first grade rugby.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Nigel Genia in the QLD XV
Ummm...This is awkard...
Is that the Nigel Genia that has been playing reserve grade for Wests?
WTF!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting that no Easts players are in the QLD XV. I thought Bermingham would have been give a shot.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting that no Easts players are in the QLD XV. I thought Bermingham would have been give a shot.
Jets - I tend to agree, especially seeing the Easts coach is coaching this team. But it is the "President's XV" so perhaps he had no say in the selections!!
Queensland XV Squad

1. JP Smith (GPS)
2. Andrew Coady (Brothers)
3. Albert Anae (Sunnybank)
4. David McDuling (Uni)
5. Tim Buchanan (Uni)
6. Jarrad Butler (Gold Coast)
7. Jono Ellis (GPS)
8. Jake Schatz (c) (Sunnybank)
9. Nigel Genia (Wests)
10. Dallan Murphy (Brothers)
11. Dom Shipperley (Brothers)
12. Nathaniel Gendle (Brothers)
13. Con Foley (Uni)
14. Stephanus Van Der Walt (Stingrays)
15. Mitch Felsman (Brothers)

Reserves

Prop - Jack Kimmince (Gold Coast)
Prop - David Faeo (Souths)
Hooker - Mitch Wade (Uni)
Lock - Marius Botha (Souths)
Backrow – Mitch King (Stingrays)
Halfback - Luke Evans (Gold Coast)
Flyhalf - Cayden Matahaere (Gold Coast)
Centre - Fred Tuua (Norths)
Outside back - Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank)
Outside back - Rota Setu (Sunnybank)
Outside back - Dylan Simpson (Gold Coast)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

I said this on another thread, but Richards wouldn't want to risk anymore injuries to his players, especially with Sunnybank this week.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I said this on another thread, but Richards wouldn't want to risk anymore injuries to his players, especially with Sunnybank this week.

I wondered about the lack of Easts players but I think you may have nailed it.
So did Cayden Matahaere 's shift to league not last long? I noticed he was at Sunnybank but what happened to the U20's Titans sojurn.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
So with one game to go Uni should seal the Minor Premiership with a win against Norths and Brothers to wrap up second spot by thumping Wests. Still interesting for the other teams. GPS should beat Souths and will then be sweating on the result of the Easts v. Sunnybank game. Should the Bank lose then they dip out, but if Easts lose by a massive margin and don't get a bonus point then GPS sneak through. Personally, I hope Easts get up and then face GPS the following week in the knockout.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
So with one game to go Uni should seal the Minor Premiership with a win against Norths and Brothers to wrap up second spot by thumping Wests. Still interesting for the other teams. GPS should beat Souths and will then be sweating on the result of the Easts v. Sunnybank game. Should the Bank lose then they dip out, but if Easts lose by a massive margin and don't get a bonus point then GPS sneak through. Personally, I hope Easts get up and then face GPS the following week in the knockout.
What happens if the bank lose by less than 7 points and score four tries?

B

bentarmrules

What happens if the bank lose by less than 7 points and score four tries?

Easts in 3rd (67 or 68) Sunnybank in 4th (63) on better Points Diff and GPS out (even if get 5 points and end up on 63). I think. btw it is less than 8 not 7...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Nar mate, Tigers will come home and win the whole thing and will be praised as one of the toughest title wins ever....or atleast that's what I'd like haha.

After the way the played the Filth last week I have faiththey can beat the Bank, but it'll be a bloody close one, especially with Taps, Lucas and Holmes returning for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.