• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The Nudge are a comin ...( as they always do )

They really took off in the 15's last year , and from that cracker of a season that team had , they've added even more to this year's 16's . Keep an eye out for Cayle Manu this season in the Blue and White
Cayle is an outside chance for the 1st's this year.......Nudgee have a hell of a log jam in the loose forward department.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
What is this muscle at GT you speak of ?

I hope it's not all pinned on the 2 x High transfers to what is still pretty much the same team

Anyone else ?

Some pinned on the two new imports however most of it pinned on the fact they troubled the competition big dogs, BBC /IGS/BSHS and in my opinion only some size let them down. A years growth on those GT players will make all the difference.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well they did trouble BSHS in their first hit out of the season , and yes , BSHS got home in bash and crash in the last 15m of the game despite a couple of the more spirited Terrace lads doing their best impersonation of a traffic speed bump.

I cant speak of the Terrace v IGS encounter - didn't see it .

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well they did trouble BSHS in their first hit out of the season , and yes , BSHS got home in bash and crash in the last 15m of the game despite a couple of the more spirited Terrace lads doing their best impersonation of a traffic speed bump.

I saw the BBC v GT game and it was GTs biggest loss of the year by a long way .Their Bs got pumped as well.
it looked to me like that slick BBC backline v a league centric GT backline : because the BBC forwards were not huge .
Mind you they put around 50 on Nudgee as well.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
U/15 A's.
Early stages yet with trials continuing for at least 3 more games?, but perhaps BBC are firming as an early favourite for the top spot.
BUT a huge unknown is coaches may still be "trialling" combinations.
My top 3 still looks intact:
  • BBC
  • BSHS
  • IGS

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
OK. . .1st XV gps trial #1 at TSS tomorrow.
  • Looks like a very wet affair.
  • good luck to all the boys trialling.
  • Knock-wood no serious injuries with season not too far away.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Terrace lead until the last play of the game when IGS scored. Was a great game to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Looking forward to hearing some reports from this weekend. I'm away and not sure if I'll be able to find tape to watch.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A beautiful day on the gold coast for the gps schoolboys 1st XV trials.
As expected, the 30 minute games did not give too much away as These are in keeping with 'trialling combinations'. However very noticeable the number of new faces appearing in the BGS team. They were the surprise team
Results:May not be absolutely accurate. I was trying to get to as many games as possible.
  1. NC beat BGS, drew with IGS
  2. IGS drew with NC, only just drew with BGS(last play intercept try.
  3. BGS lost to NC drew with IGS. . .but biggest improver of the 3 teams.
  1. BBC beat Terrace; lost to Churchie?
  2. Churchie
  3. TERRACE lost to BBC; beat churchie
  1. TSS beat BSHS, may have lost to TGS
  2. BSHS lost both games
  3. TGS beat BSHS, may have beaten TSS
From these results, cant really read too much into the season predictions.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
A beautiful day on the gold coast for the gps schoolboys 1st XV trials.
As expected, the 30 minute games did not give too much away as These are in keeping with 'trialling combinations'. However very noticeable the number of new faces appearing in the BGS team. They were the surprise team
Results:May not be absolutely accurate. I was trying to get to as many games as possible.
  1. NC beat BGS, drew with IGS
  2. IGS drew with NC, only just drew with BGS(last play intercept try.
  3. BGS lost to NC drew with IGS.but biggest improver of the 3 teams.
  1. BBC beat Terrace; lost to Churchie?
  2. Churchie
  3. TERRACE lost to BBC; beat churchie
  1. TSS beat BSHS, may have lost to TGS
  2. BSHS lost both games
  3. TGS beat BSHS, may have beaten TSS
From these results, cant really read too much into the season predictions.
TGS lost to TSS but not by much

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks Realist. When I left to watch BGS vs IGS, TGS were ahead.
  • BSHS looked quite small compared to TSS & TGS.
  • BBC, TERRACE, & Churchie dont have any standout advantage
  • NC & IGS have massive packs but BGS look quite a balanced side.

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
You must be watching a different game to me. Hume cannot be compared to Lucas. He is a solid halfback and defends well in that position. He played 10 in the second game and had one run of 2 metres so hardly a step or pace shown and does not kick for Churchie. The Churchie backline barely got out of a trot and with the 13 injured they will struggle. Wingers did not see much of the ball in either game. Playing kids out of position does not help. The fullback ran strongly when given a chance. The forward pack was strong and defended well.
The 2 for GT was very solid in defence. All in all a pretty boring game of rugby.
BBC backline struggled in both games to have any impact. BBC forward pack looked like they were short of game time.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I watched the GT V Churchie match on Saturday and was quite impressed with GT defence. Churchie did not offer much in attack, however i'm sure they didn't want to give to much away.

Standouts GT - 5, 12, 15 really pushing for the GPS 1

Standouts Churchie - 13, not sure what number but the shaved head prop
Also very surprised Fin Hume isn't starting 10 for Churchie, he reminds me of Isaac Lucas with his step, pace and raw ability of getting over the try line. A boy with a lot of potential and someone to look out for this year, especially with his kicking game reminiscent by that of Owen O'Farrell.

Really keen to see these 2 teams play a full match against each other this weekend, i'm backing GT by 10.
Any other game analysis?

Churchie 13 should have stood out- he played Aussie Schools last year.
I was impressed with Churchie forward pack- the 2 new boys from last year had blinders especially the lock from Mackay .

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting views from GD and trw of TCE & Churchie:
The consensus that the games (trials) were not a rugby spectacle from a spectators perspective is accurate and it WAS NOT for that PURPOSE!!
However, from the coaches perspective, lots of interesting match ups and combinations that will be tweaked and changed a lot before final squads are named for gps season proper game one happens.
And so for the real purpose of what these half games were for(selectors to identify,and select about 60 boys for gps;1,2,&3),it is worth noting that from 1-22, I think the selectors would have a clear idea of what they have at their disposal. Some obvious choices and some dark horse with a chance. Who is brave to have a go at naming their likely gps 1&2. Traditionally, from these 2 they select Qld 1 &2 with an outside chance of gps 3 making it. Usually gps 3 would likely be selected for the Combined States team.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sadly I was out of the country last weekend so didn't get to watch any games at TSS.

Once I get to see a few more trials I should be able to have a better crack (not just select on rep)

Speaking of which, I'm planning on heading down to Wests for BBC v BSHS this Friday. Here are the details: https://www.facebook.com/events/781939461973357/?ti=icl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon you are pretty on the money with GPS 1 Gregory

GPS 2 looks pretty good too ( maybe about 75% not sure about the other 25% )

You might be a bit rough on Cam Howard as a strong outsider

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well done G D.
Only surprise is:
  • #13 Tristan Stanghon Aust Barbarians Anglican Church Grammar QLD he will l be in gps 1 & Qld 1.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Emile Tuimavave had a strong 2016 for BGS and I have been informed that he had a good outing on the weekend. Made GPS 3 last year at loosehead so you'd expect the selectors to consider him for either GPS 1 or 2 in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.