• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
Only two teams have come off the back of a bye to win, TGS and TSS. Even the half-favourites BGS lost off their bye. Could this be trouble for Nudgee or will they hold it together?

Exactly my point, the extra week to train is not always your best friend.

Taipan168

Dave Cowper (27)
Exactly my point, the extra week to train is not always your best friend.

The Nudgee team will be ready for the 'Grand Final' against Grammar.
The extra week gives coach Anthony Connellan time for a game plan to
nullify Greene, Cornelson and pocket rocket Marsden.
I expect a big crowd at Ross Oval Sept15, so come early for the best seats.
Kudos to BGS coaches Emtage and Gardner on a fantastic season .:cool:

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congratulations to both BGS and TSS teams today. A Physical, skillful and memorable match. Great respect shown by both supporter groups and in stark contrast to the Churchie v Grammar match last week, you could have heard a pin drop when either side lined up a kick. Rugby was the winner on the day!
Yes a great game and agree re supporter groups. The "Brains Trust" at BGS have done a great job in the last 3 years, I Think TSS beat them something like 93-0 3 years ago so big steps have been made. Well done. A nice return for the TSS #10 Mitch Third. Shame TSS gave away a penalty in the last few minutes when pressing the BGS line. Well done to Grammar

T

tightfive

Yes a great game and agree re supporter groups. Shame TSS gave away a penalty in the last few minutes when pressing the BGS line. Well done to Grammar

Yes I think TSS would be disappointed with a few of the penalties they gave away. Green was lethal with the boot anywhere in TSS half. Interestingly though it was his reading of the game that saw him run to the line and create the space for some Matt Marsden magic. Greenes skills extend well beyond just a golden boot!

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
does anyone think Marsden (BGS 14) has a shot of school boys next year?

You can only hope so. "The King", as he is referred to by peers, has been able to cause two upsets, one against BBC and one obviously against TSS and came away with a clutch try to win the game. His defence is only getting better and better and time will help him. His only limiting factor is his size, weighing in at around 65kg, but what he lacks in size, he makes up with his explosiveness and Quade Cooper like step. Similar to Lewis Radford in 2011, Marsden has been the surprise package of the Grammar back-line and one of the crowd favourites. I really hope to see him get some recognition from higher authorities and possibly a Queensland or even Australian cap.

R

rugby125

The harsh reality is that he will most likely be overlooked because of his size. He may be extremely agile and nifty across the field with a killer step that can get around any fullback... He may be able to tackle the quickest backs and strongest forwards double his size... But unless he puts on 10-20kg in the next year then I don't see the selectors taking him.
Have there ever been small/light Schoolboys who have been selected in the past? Hopefully I can be proved wrong because I would think Marsden would be a great addition to that team. Anyone agree with me?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Terrace would have to be considered unlucky. Scored 2 tries to one. Led 7-6 at halftime. Churchie appeared to score from a forward pass. Conversion from the sideline on fulltime from Terrace would have got them up by a point. Churchie really were pretty disappointing

As a Churchie parent, I can only agree. It was an unconvincing win by any standards. Worse was that Churchie are again repeating its obvious flaw in structured defense - our backs rarely align properly or quickly against fast attack out wide and compound that with poor individual defense.

This problem commenced v TGS and remains largely untreated and the vast majority of tries scored against us have come from this flaw (or combination of flaws). And opposition teams are now skillfully exploiting the ongoing porosity we yield up.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Just on another note with regards to spectators. I was not at BGS v ACGS the week before but have read the comments on behavior and heckling. Yesterday, Terrace required a kick from around 5 meters from sideline to win the match, but right in front of the main (but disappointingly small) body of Churchie spectators. I reckon you could have heard a pin drop it was so quiet. So also pointing out some of the better things that do occur at these games.

While on that note, when the kicker (Dalgliesh I think) missed he looked pretty upset. The Churchie boys on the charge down were the first to him and it looked from where I was that they were friends as they seemed to put their arms around him to console him. I was a distance away, but this is how it looked to me and if true the players sportsmanship should be acknowledged.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Just on another note with regards to spectators. I was not at BGS v ACGS the week before but have read the comments on behavior and heckling. Yesterday, Terrace required a kick from around 5 meters from sideline to win the match, but right in front of the main (but disappointingly small) body of Churchie spectators. I reckon you could have heard a pin drop it was so quiet. So also pointing out some of the better things that do occur at these games.

Maybe you think they were quiet because last week they may have been screamed at by teachers for such a poor display of sportsmanship???

While on that note, when the kicker (Dalgliesh I think) missed he looked pretty upset. The Churchie boys on the charge down were the first to him and it looked from where I was that they were friends as they seemed to put their arms around him to console him. I was a distance away, but this is how it looked to me and if true the players sportsmanship should be acknowledged.
Acknowledged for hugging and congratulating a Terrace player for missing a kick that cost them the game? how is that sportsmanship?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe you think they were quiet because last week they may have been screamed at by teachers for such a poor display of sportsmanship???

Acknowledged for hugging and congratulating a Terrace player for missing a kick that cost them the game? how is that sportsmanship?

No, I was watching closely for that type of rubbish when the ACGS players got close to Dalgliesh. It looked genuine to me. If anyone was closer and can confirm or refute, please go ahead.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)

I'm afraid that if he is overlooked by schoolboy and rep selectors that he might be lost to rugby league. In all honesty he's a splitting image of Ben Barba in his performances throughout the season, arguably with even better footwork.. The Bronco's released Barba from their junior academy at 16 or 17, and with his recent form for the Doggies it can only be assumed that they would be regretting letting him go.

If Marsden does turn to League, I think the Bronco's would be keen to nurture his talents and try to develop him.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
No, I was watching closely for that type of rubbish when the ACGS players got close to Dalgliesh. It looked genuine to me. If anyone was closer and can confirm or refute, please go ahead.
Can confirm it was genuine. It was disappointing to miss the kick, but churchie seemed to be good blokes about it

guildford

Peter Burge (5)

Agree. There was silence for the kick except for a few old boys I imagine but all up pretty good. Also seemed to me that they were 'consoling' the kicker genuinely. There seemed to be an air of massive relief rather than celebration when the kick went wide. Agree also with the comments re Churchie defence reforming for 2nd and 3rd phase which was when GT made territory.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Why do terrace think they can beat Grammar? All you nohopes said Terrace were going to give NC a run for their money. nek minute.
Just do us all a favour and keep it to yourself. Statistically Terrace has a very little chance, the only way they could come away with a win is by sheer luck on the day.
Blackshaw, mate you can talk smack when you weigh more than 50kg.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Blackshaw, mate you can talk smack when you weigh more than 50kg.
You can talk smack when you can win more than 1 game out of 6. FYI I do weigh more than 60kg at the moment, nothing to brag about but what does weight have to do with anything?

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
You can talk smack when you can win more than 1 game out of 6. FYI I do weigh more than 60kg at the moment, nothing to brag about but what does weight have to do with anything?
Well you would be in the grammar 4ths/5ths..which means you yourself haven't won any games yourself and 60kg...the bulking must be working!

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Well you would be in the grammar 4ths/5ths..which means you yourself haven't won any games yourself and 60kg.the bulking must be working!
There's a time and a place for this mate, Queensland GPS 2012 definitely isn't it. Take your snide comments elsewhere all right? And once again, your statement about the 4ths/5ths once again is inncorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.