• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Unlucky day for the GT XV, only just narrowly missing out on a win. The ref's decisions went to both teams and apart from 2 incidents against GT. 1 resulting in a try to IGS and another in the dying minutes of the game. But rather not dwell on this as nothing can be changed now. Was quite unimpressed by the performance of GT, didn't play like they had in past weeks. Haven't seen IGS play this year so i couldn't comment on their performance. To be honest i was pretty appalled at the fact that IGS asked for uncontested scums after a couple of penalties went GT's way in the scrum. The line out was pretty good from GT #4 Isaac French stealing numerous balls from Aus A representative Dan Preen. This was a game of the forwards and ended up being very uneventful. MOTM IMO was IGS #12. IGS proved that they are one of the dark horses of the competition and could very well cause more upsets like the previous week against TSS. Travelling up the range next weekend to see GT take on TGS.

paddywagen

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am by no means a Churchie supporter, but I can't help but to feel disappointed for them.

Can anyone who has watched them tell me what is going on? They literally have a backline full of QLD representatives, as well as a backrow that could line up for their state. Is it a problem with their tight five? Or are they truly suffering from having a 'team of superstars' rather than 'a superstar team'?

For their sake I hope they can find some form against BBC next week, but not too much for the week after against Southport. ;)

Their forwards, especially their back rowers were more than competitIve against Nudgee.
The problem was they couldn't win a linout all day and the Nudgee backs kept running around the Churchie backs on the outside.
On yesterday's performance, the Churchie backs are overrated.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Anyone have the team list of the BGS team?
(As per program July28)

1.Cody Blackhurst
2.Alister Harper
3.Anthony Fatseas
4.Benjamin Muller
5.Dalton Cox
6.Michael Gilbert
7.Andrew Saunders
8.Jack Cornelsen
9.Fergus Holiday
10.Samuel Greene
11.Lewis Radford
12.Zachary Laud
13.Joshua Birch
14.Mathew Marsden
15.Hugo Starr-Thomas

V

vuna goona

Having seen BGS last week, there is a distinct difference between their skills at the breakdown and what I saw today.
can you elaborate on this?

also anyone who saw the BGS v TGS game, can they give a review of it? i'd like to know how two teams we forum people thought to be contenders can have a 20 point gap??

something

Jim Clark (26)
i saw the bgs - tgs game yesterday. Both teams had a pretty slow start with lots of dropped ball. Fortunately for BGS they just slotted conversions whenever TGS got pinned within the 40m. half time score was 12-5 bgs. 1 tgs try which i didnt see and greene hitting 4 conversions. There wasnt any real highlights though there was an amazing catch from winger Radford which was pretty impressive.

Second half had a bit more flare. BGS got two tries in a row i think both to Blackhurst but i could be wrong. TGS got a try in the forwards didnt see the number though. Placid was very good but as mentioned earlier TGS solely relied on him with almost every counter attack. I was impressed by BGS 9 who nobody has really mentioned on this forum, clean ball every time and a very good box kick. Also, best 1st XV try ive ever seen to Greene late in the second half.

Greene was by far best on the field. He just seems like a very complete player. Fast, solid in defence, amazing kicking game, good vision, good passing.

something

Jim Clark (26)
BGS forwards impressive - flankers were very solid at the breakdown - hardworking.

the grammar 2 was a solid little guy; he got hit really hard like 3 times in a row and was groggy as but just kept on trudging along.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
can you elaborate on this?

also anyone who saw the BGS v TGS game, can they give a review of it? i'd like to know how two teams we forum people thought to be contenders can have a 20 point gap??

Swarly has an in depth report on 61 if I remember correctly...

D

doug smith

I must agree as a GT old boy I was hoping to see the terrace boys get up, the kicking games were quite ordinary. I watched most games and was impressed by ipswichs 2nds #10, thought he outplayed the #10 of the first xv

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
I can confirm that TSS played their full firsts yesterday barring Fielea and the injured Guttenbiel. Papworth moved to the second row to accommodate young Brown at 7, which is a good idea methinks. Not sure of the final score but I've heard that Gibson (12) played well, as a distributing 12, which could prompt a move for Fielea onto a wing... This is only if the coaching staff believe that the outside backs really were starved out of the game against IGS by the ball continually dying in midfield. Regardless of who gets the gig there this weekend, they will have to be on their game to nullify the effectiveness of Tuttle.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Regardless of who gets the gig there this weekend, they will have to be on their game to nullify the effectiveness of Tuttle.

After seeing him yesterday I wish you the best of luck, you will need it. He did go down injured though, appeared to be his shoulder. His form is stunning right now, particularly with the confidence of two years as an Australian Schoolboy.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
After seeing him yesterday I wish you the best of luck, you will need it. He did go down injured though, appeared to be his shoulder. His form is stunning right now, particularly with the confidence of two years as an Australian Schoolboy.
Agreed - what were your thoughts on the players outside of him? Seeing as he will undoubtedly draw multiple defenders.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Swarly has an in depth report on 61 if I remember correctly.
My review probably focussed a bit more on what let TGS down, as it was Toowoomba I was asked about. I did talk a little bit about Sam Greene but that was about it from a BGS perspective. I could have elaborated on Greene but everything that needed to be said already has been. Easily the best player on the field, a truly exceptional game from the fly-half.

I was impressed by BGS 9 who nobody has really mentioned on this forum, clean ball every time and a very good box kick. Also, best 1st XV try ive ever seen to Greene late in the second half.

Fergus Halliday? He's been particularly impressive. He was playing at #10 during the trial games with Sam Greene either out with injury or playing at schoolboys (with the exception of one game) and had to work hard to secure the #9 jersey ahead of Sam Burke and Dugie Hill. He's improved with every game so far this season so he should be one to really keep an eye on as the season continues.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Fergus Halliday? He's been particularly impressive. He's improved with every game so far this season so he should be one to really keep an eye on as the season continues.

Watching the game against State High the BGS 9 seemed indecisive, and some of his service to Greene was fairly poor, but he grew into the role better in the second half, probably after overcoming some nerves. Good to hear he played well yesterday. How did he compare to his opposite, more credentialled Adam Deck?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Round 3
BBC vs ACGS - Too close to call
GT vs TGS - TGS by the smallest of margins
TSS vs NC - NC by 10
BSHS vs IGS - IGS by 20
Grammar with the Bye.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Watching the game against State High the BGS 9 seemed indecisive, and some of his service to Greene was fairly poor, but he grew into the role better in the second half, probably after overcoming some nerves. Good to hear he played well yesterday. How did he compare to his opposite, more credentialled Adam Deck?

Well the BSHS game was the first time he'd played scrumhalf at Grammar, including this year where he'd only previously appeared at #10 or #15 for the 1sts. He really stepped up yesterday with a high involvement rate, good decision making and quality service to Greene. I didn't really notice Deck- although that's more because I was focusing on the Greene vs. Placid battle for most of the match. He didn't do anything incredible, but he didn't disappoint.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Rnd3 (Aug4)predictions
NC v TSS - Nudgee by 12
IGS v BSH - Ippy by 15+
BBC v ACGS - College by 9
TGS v GT - TGS by 6

G

GPS fan

i saw the bgs - tgs game yesterday. Both teams had a pretty slow start with lots of dropped ball. Fortunately for BGS they just slotted conversions whenever TGS got pinned within the 40m. half time score was 12-5 bgs. 1 tgs try which i didnt see and greene hitting 4 conversions. There wasnt any real highlights though there was an amazing catch from winger Radford which was pretty impressive.

Second half had a bit more flare. BGS got two tries in a row i think both to Blackhurst but i could be wrong. TGS got a try in the forwards didnt see the number though. Placid was very good but as mentioned earlier TGS solely relied on him with almost every counter attack. I was impressed by BGS 9 who nobody has really mentioned on this forum, clean ball every time and a very good box kick. Also, best 1st XV try ive ever seen to Greene late in the second half.

Greene was by far best on the field. He just seems like a very complete player. Fast, solid in defence, amazing kicking game, good vision, good passing.

So much for Coach Gilmore's dream team. i believe there were 7 or 8 Queensland players fielded in the TGS side yesterday versus 3 for BGS. 2 tries to Blackhurst yesterday adding to his 3 against State High last week. Another cracker game from Cornelsen, Birch and Blackhurst yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.