• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pumas vs Wallabies - Sunday 9th October @ Twickenham

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's more an indictment of Fardy. If you can't knock Mumm out of a team you know you are passed it.

My issue is, if Fardy is a great player who's run down and under performing (seems that way) why cart him all over the world and sit him on your bench?

Sent him home to do a proper preseason and let him come into 2017 fresh.

Players have a lifespan that can be extended with good management.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree with that amirite. He should't go on the EOYT. It would be good for him to stay home and rest his body and recharge for a big 2017.

And opens up a shot for someone like Tom Staniforth or Nned Hannnnigann.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree with that amirite. He should't go on the EOYT. It would be good for him to stay home and rest his body and recharge for a big 2017.

And opens up a shot for someone like Tom Staniforth or Nned Hannnnigann.

I agree, but I don't think Staniforth is a sensible 'swap' in terms of positions covered and skill set. Hanigan, hypothetically, though I've never seen him have to cover an 8-9 play on the blindside because he's been playing lock.

I honestly rate Demsey and think he fits the bill, and seeing as they like to park the Aussie 6s out wide, he'd do just fine.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jeez, if true Mumm has to be the luckiest player in Australian Rugby

Why would anyone be surprised at Mummy keeping the gig. Just another Chek favourite, bit like Folau, Hooper and Foley. At least with Hooper the bloke performs a certain role.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Why would anyone be surprised at Mummy keeping the gig. Just another Chek favourite, bit like Folau, Hooper and Foley. At least with Hooper the bloke performs a certain role.

Joises, you never stop with that do you?

Same shit could be said about Moore, Sio, Kuridrani, Simmons.

He doesn't picked based on favouritism. He picks the best players he has available. He's a fucking national coach not some kid picking his mates first in the school yard. Do you actually, genuinely believe that a national coach would jeopardize his job, his reputation and his national teams performance to pick his mates/favourites?

Edit: who here actually believes that either Tom Staniforth or Ned Hanigan are starting wallabies quality? talk about scraping the barrel.

T

Train Without a Station

No. he's saying that like many selectors in many sports Cheika has somehow got the idea in his head that Mumm is a test player and is blinkered, therefore continually picks him despite the same flaws he drops others for.

Blake Ferguson and Josh Dugan are great examples of this in NRL.

The favoritism is an error in his judgement, not a willingness to select a player he knowingly knows to be inferior.

Based on last game, what did Mumm execute well that Simmons did not? They had the same flaws, with the exception being that in 45 minutes, Simmons did close to what Mumm did in 80 and has a history of being a much better test line out option and reliable defender. Why not select him at 6 then?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mumm has simply benefited from our lineout being shit, and our locks being continually rotated every week.............

Despite the talk of Fardy's poor form, it was nothing compared to how Mumm is going.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The reality is that Hooper is one of those players you don't budget a direct replacement for because he will continually play the 80

"If" the worst happens, the team makes do

Kind of like Pocock for that RWC semi? We didn't make do very well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Joises, you never stop with that do you?

Same shit could be said about Moore, Sio, Kuridrani, Simmons.

He doesn't picked based on favouritism. He picks the best players he has available. He's a fucking national coach not some kid picking his mates first in the school yard. Do you actually, genuinely believe that a national coach would jeopardize his job, his reputation and his national teams performance to pick his mates/favourites?

Edit: who here actually believes that either Tom Staniforth or Ned Hanigan are starting wallabies quality? talk about scraping the barrel.

Haha

The Tooth Fairy doesn't exist and I have serious reservations about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I agree with the Sio, Moore ones but he has dropped both TK and Simmons

Time to open your eyes wide.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Fardy is the guy who would replace Hooper if he was injured tomorrow isn't he? Which is probably why he is still in the squad

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Haha

The Tooth Fairy doesn't exist and I have serious reservations about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I agree with the Sio, Moore ones but he has dropped both TK and Simmons

Time to open your eyes wide.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if there were players who are clearly better but aren't getting picked. I think Mumm is terrible, but i don't think Fardy is playing any better.

If you ran the same argument but for TPN over Moore i'd be more inclined to agree with you but at least in that case it's obvious he wants Moore in for his 'captaincy'.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If McMahon is out for the remainder of the tour then they should call in cover at 7. Gill for the tests that fall within the test window since he is already there would be a logical choice.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fardy is the guy who would replace Hooper if he was injured tomorrow isn't he? Which is probably why he is still in the squad

I don't think anyone could replace Hooper's tear arse action and energy across the whole field.

Agree that Fardy would probably do a reasonable job as a traditional 7 if the unspeakable was to happen

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If McMahon is out for the remainder of the tour then they should call in cover at 7. Gill for the tests that fall within the test window since he is already there would be a logical choice.

This is the last test of the two test tour.

They then return to Australia before the EOYT squad is announced (which includes the third Bledisloe Test in NZ).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Even 6 weeks out means McMahon is back for France.

4 weeks is the start of the EOYT, and 5 weeks is playing against my lot.

If you take a bigger squad rather than the standard 32ish, a Jordy Reid or Jack Dempsey is maybe worth taking as a back up option and to play against my lot and the French Barbarians game.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Even 6 weeks out means McMahon is back for France.

4 weeks is the start of the EOYT, and 5 weeks is playing against my lot.

If you take a bigger squad rather than the standard 32ish, a Jordy Reid or Jack Dempsey is maybe worth taking as a back up option and to play against my lot and the French Barbarians game.

Wouldn't think they would fly McMahon over there half way through the tour.
Suppose if Timani goes well at 8, it won't be an option

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wouldn't think they would fly McMahon over there half way through the tour.
Suppose if Timani goes well at 8, it won't be an option

More that, if he's expected to be fit for 3 or more Tests, why wouldn't you send him over with the original squad, particularly given it's expected to be slightly larger than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.