• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pointless question for those with too much time on their hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Rugger/Rugga - socially acceptable or not?

Is it just me who hates it when people use these terms? Is it an Australian thing?

Agree for the abolishment of these terms from the interwebboxamajiggy :yay

Never heard the terms used anywhere else in the world.

Used by lazy people who don't have enough IQ to complete words properly.

B

Braveheart.

I meant it hating it and not using it being the Australian thing Blue

Agreed.

I've heard the term more commonly used in the UK.

But it's one of the little idosyncracies of an international game.

It's like a South African openside in a no.6 jersey, or an Englishman calling the backline "the three quarters" or having a second 5 rather than an inside centre.

Speaking of the three quarters... I'd love the know the origin, and why it's the three quarters and the fly half is the 5/8th.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
'I must say, old Fforbes-Smythe was a demon on the rugger field when we were at Ox. Never the same after he pranged his MGA at Shelsley, of course. Ankle-bones splintered into matchsticks. Damn shame. Another port?'

Gold.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Speaking of the three quarters... I'd love the know the origin, and why it's the three quarters and the fly half is the 5/8th.

I don't know the history but I have always assumed it was a bit like a military line-up in battle. The forwards are the front-line broken down into front row, second row and back row, the full back is the last line of defence, the 3 quarters are 3/4 of the way to the back, the half back is half way and the 5/8 is inbetween the 3 quarters and the half back. Even team line ups are sometimes displayed this way.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree with Braveheart - it's more of a UK thing and if you look at old rugby books the word was used a lot. It'd not used do much now, but still more in print than over here.

Was re-reading the autobiography of the great Wales player, Bleddyn Williams, recently. The name of the book?: Rugger, My Life

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I totally agree with you.

You have too much time on your hands.

As long as they are playing it /watching it / supporting it / giving a shit about it who cares what they call it?

I call it footy most of the time. Sorry if that bothers you. Oh actually hang on, no I'm not.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
"Are you going to rugger practice tomorrow?"
"No, I'm going to rugby training"

The seppos use it a lot.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have been around a lot longer than most, and I have never, ever heard an Australian use the term "rugger" - other than as in "rugger buggers", a term of abuse that was used a lot during the 1971 Springbok tour.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not really bothered by it. Rah Rah is probably more stupid to me but given we could have a nickname like "Poofball" or "Aerial ping pong" or "Mungoball" I think our slang names are fine by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.