• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Players we Should Have Selected Ahead of Salesi Ma'afu Based on Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Can I ask you all one question? How many S15 games have you guy's played?
Why is it his fault? This thread is a joke and not constructive at all.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can I ask you all one question? How many S15 games have you guy's played?

Why, Matty Burke, you've finally revealed yourself. :lmao::lmao:

Welcome aboard mate!!

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Speaking as someone who put watching Brumbies games towards the lower end of my priority list this year, but occasionally checked on how they were going, I was disappointed in Palmer's year. He seemed to be off the field for lots of it injured and the rest of the time he was pretty much invisible.

Vidiot, I'm with you. Palmer has carried his club rugby scrumming prowess far too far. He is definitely still "potential" imo rather than "class". He is very ineffective aways from the scrums. I'm not sure how you can pick him when we are having many games with less than 10 scrums?

For mine, Maafu, is a best of a bad bunch selection as depth is still a major issue for our props. Robinson is our only test quality prop. Kepu has had a great season but is not proven at test level yet. Slipper is promising but young and did well at times last year. Alexander was very disappointing in tests last year and has quickly gained a Baxter like reputation with referees. If we include anyone outside of these 4 props in our 22, I would be worried.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think I'd prefer Palmer's invisibility, but world class scrummaging to Ma'afu's penalty infringements and what little else he provides...

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think I'd prefer Palmer's invisibility, but world class scrummaging to Ma'afu's penalty infringements and what little else he provides...

I understand your point and it has merit. I don't like Maafu much either. However I don't know how you can call Palmer's scrummaging world class with no tests and not that many Super Rugby caps.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I understand your point and it has merit. I don't like Maafu much either. However I don't know how you can call Palmer's scrummaging world class with no tests and not that many Super Rugby caps.

Well, there wasn't a single prop he came up against that got the better than him, and the difference he made alone to the Brumbies' scrum was impressive...

I don't think his scrum credentials can be questioned, but the rest of his play won't see him make the Wallabies...

It'll be great for Australian rugby if they can get this guy's workrate to a reasonable level...

I don't think he's fit at the moment anyways, but I think a player like him would benefit being in the Wallabies camp more than Ma'afu, particularly when it's a position that's going to get cut anyways...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

What's that suppose to mean? Didn't see anyone blaming Ma'afu - only Deans.

In fact in the opening post by farva he has stated
Edit: and no animosity to the big fellow. He has tried his guts out, and fair play to him for taking his opportunities.
But I see this selection on par with selecting say Gene Fairbanks at the moment.

You must be involved with Ma'afu in someway.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Actually Slim the Force scrum did pretty good against him as did the Highlanders and Saders. The Tahs were subdued on the second outing but pasted them in the first. He is "technically" one of the best but he still lacks in a lot of areas. Saying that there is a reason why he was first choice at TH this year for the Mules, as I predicted would happen when he signed with them last year. I rate Ma'afu a long long way down the proping list. In any event Palmer's lack of game away from the set piece rules him out IMO unless the pitch is hock deep in mud. Players such as Fairbrother and Longbum can feel agrieved at this selection. Especially given that Fairborther was told mid year he wouldn't get a gig (from the rumours on this very board).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually Slim the Force scrum did pretty good against him as did the Highlanders and Saders. The Tahs were subdued on the second outing but pasted them in the first. He is "technically" one of the best but he still lacks in a lot of areas. Saying that there is a reason why he was first choice at TH this year for the Mules, as I predicted would happen when he signed with them last year. I rate Ma'afu a long long way down the proping list. In any event Palmer's lack of game away from the set piece rules him out IMO unless the pitch is hock deep in mud. Players such as Fairbrother and Longbum can feel agrieved at this selection. Especially given that Fairborther was told mid year he wouldn't get a gig (from the rumours on this very board).

The Force scrum didn't do well until AFTER he left the field...

The Force LH gave away a string of penalties trying to bore in sideways on him...

He didn't take a step backwards against the Saders...

And the Brumbies' scrum smashed the Highlanders... although the Highlanders smashed the Brumbies everywhere else that game...

Actually, I believe the prop who did the best against him was Kepu, who from what I remember played LH that game...

vidiot

John Solomon (38)

I was just trying to say - without getting my words out highly good - that he had a real chance to push on this year and it hasn't, to my way of thinking, really happened. Injury obviously a factor. The unsettled Brumbies (coaching) camp did no one any favours.

T

TOCC

Palmer is a development player still, he has good scrummaging potential and is learning quickly, but he still has a long way to go, there are others I would select ahead of him.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Keiren Longbottom
Matt Dunning
Le Fuse
Tim Fairbrother
Dan Palmer

Discuss.
I am concerned that he is in the team based on the season he has had.
Why?

Edit: and no animosity to the big fellow. He has tried his guts out, and fair play to him for taking his opportunities.
But I see this selection on par with selecting say Gene Fairbanks at the moment.

while it may not mean to this thread comes across as a very personalised attack on mafu
ive jus finished watching a couple of games mafu playe in last year for the gold and he looked very busy> especially in defence and around the ruck
much more than ive seen from many of the ther props we got
cant belive dunning and baxter are still being disscussed both are the most to blame for australian having a piss weak scrum the last decade and why our front row has been the laughing stock world wide
deserved or not refs target them in the scrum in gold> this is fact and anyone who want to try them again obviously ha a short memory or didnt watch every scrum penalty go against us when these two held our scrum the last decade. NO MORE CHANCES
fairbrother is heading overseas isnt he so knock that off the list
palmer is the only one i would consider if his scrumming is as potent as im led to believe> but as someones pointed out if theres less than 8 scrums a game he loses importance
havnt noticed longbottom stand out enough to demand his selection an judging by thefact that he barely rates a metion from the comentators i doubt im mising too much

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i presume he has a good work ethic and he does some of the defensive work that allows thers to play a bit looser>
i wouldnt pick him above kepu, robinson or slipper but i wouldnt pick any of those others mentioned > mafu has recent experience in the squad too

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
jay-c, I dont think anyone would say Ma'afu doesnt work around the field.
But his scrummaging is not up to speed, and that is his promary function. As a tighthead, we need him to provide a stable platform. If he goes, so does our scrum.

Dunning and Le Fuse, while not world class, have had reasonable super seasons and can hold up a scrum. I wouldnt start them, but their experience in the squad teaching Kepu, Slipper, etc would be invaluable.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i agree the scrum should be the most importanct factor considered when choosing a tighthead, however if we are gunna pick someone in the squad they can learn off and has no chanc of playing we may as well pull sommerville in for scrum training > he got holidays now?
baxters reputation has benifited hugely the last 2 years by having robinson and tpn next to him, but my memorys of the constant failings at scrum time since 2003 will not fade
i wouldnt want the young props in australia looking up to baxter and dunning unless they want professionalism skills or drop kicking lessons
these two are but a painful memory> the quicker they removed from our considerations the better>
neither 3 are dominating scrumagers yet mafu offers a lot more around the park and is younger than the other two so can learn, hes also 126kgs so id bck him to have a better impact at scrum time with the right training.
lets remember mafu might have let a couple of scrums go down however the other two are responsible for forging a reputation the world over

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
al baxter can't scrummage so he is def out

greg holmes did well replacing slipper during games and when slipper got injured, I personally would go Holmes. But I rate Robbie highly and am sure he would have a great justification for it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
al baxter can't scrummage so he is def out

greg holmes did well replacing slipper during games and when slipper got injured, I personally would go Holmes. But I rate Robbie highly and am sure he would have a great justification for it.

bullocks, Baxter's issues was the crashing engagements and the subsequent collapses when it got wrong, the Tahs change their approach at engagement this year and there has been no issues at all. His weakness is his work rate around the field, whilst clearly better than Palmer it is no where near Slipper or Kepu.

Keiren Longbottom is the unlucky guy to me, he has been excellent this season, he is young and growing into being a quality prop.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
holmes had his chance in the reds final to show he can scrum against the best in the world.
he couldnt

Z

Zeno

It's not unusual (as Tom Jones sang) to pick certain squad members for training purposes only. I reckon Ma'afu is in the TN squad because Deans wants his front rowers doing plenty of scrum practice at 90 per cent of Test match intensity. Ma'afu has that Test experience and he's there to make it hard for the first choice crew.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
It's not unusual (as Tom Jones sang) to pick certain squad members for training purposes only. I reckon Ma'afu is in the TN squad because Deans wants his front rowers doing plenty of scrum practice at 90 per cent of Test match intensity. Ma'afu has that Test experience and he's there to make it hard for the first choice crew.

If it's experience Deans is looking for, why not pick the most capped Australian prop of all-time? I know Baxter doesn't feature in RD's plans for the RWC, but his experience is unparalleled by any Australian front-rower. Not only that, but he's very intelligent and I know the younger Waratahs admire him, and I'm sure he'd be able to impress his knowledge of the dark arts upon Slipper, Kepu et al. more than Ma'afu would.

Status
Not open for further replies.