• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What does this mean for the grammar 1s? Do they have enough depth to field a decent team now? Who looked sharp in the grammar 2s?
The long term damage will be only 1 player as school holidays start this week. That player was gone after 10-15 and they won reasonably easily so I don't think it will change much.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can someone please inform me how they select the GPS rugby coaches? I have had good reports regarding the shore forwards coach (G. Inches) but i really can't say that about the backs coach. Andrew Cleverley and Brian Smith from TSC can clearly warrant their 'selection' as the 1st XV coaches.

Is it a form of rotation between the schools? Or just a lucky dip each year.

It used to be rotated, not really sure how it is done now.

Gareth Inches played quite a bit of 1st grade for Manly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure what you're thinking about your tip with Shore over Riverview. Riverview has looked very strong the last couple games, despite a 19 point loss last week to Joeys, with convincing wins over Newington, and a very narrow loss to Armidale 1st's who are looking strong this year.
On the other side of the coin, it's my understanding that Joeys 3rds beat Shore 3rds by 50 odd only a couple weeks ago. Depth seems to be a problem at Shore this year.

It would seem that Riveriew won this game by 2 points with a late try, so quite an even match. Does this indicate that Riverview have the same problem with depth that you identified at Shore? (noting also that the 2nds was a draw);)

M

magpie52

It would seem that Riveriew won this game by 2 points with a late try, so quite an even match. Does this indicate that Riverview have the same problem with depth that you identified at Shore? (noting also that the 2nds was a draw);)

Riverview were leading comfortably 22-10 when shore scored a converted try with 2 min to go.

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
Watching the game at Northbridge yesterday had me on the edge of my seat for the vast majority of the game, with some great running rugby and big hits throughout.

An injury early to View No. 8 Gehrig led to the replacement No. 20 being sin-binned for what the referee labelled as "talking back", would love to know what he said.

The outside backs for View dominated for the entire game, with all their tries coming down the right wing, something that Shore will have to address. Even with the speed that Rixon has, his poor defensive ability was put on display, furthermore I think he was pretty lucky to stay in the game after dropping No.11 O'Reilly on his head, thats a red card 9 times out of 10.
However, Shore stuck around in the first half, with some nifty tries of their own.

As the game wore on, tension built and despite suffering from clear amounts of pain to his shoulder, No. 10 McGregor led from the front with his kicks downfield, and his overall decision making including a try of his own in the corner. The game seemed all but over

But as Shore always seem to do against Riverview, they came back again and all of a sudden the deficit was 5 with three minutes remaining. A scrum 5 metres out on last play was Shore's last chance, with a deafening silence over Northbridge, the Shore No.10 Cowley through a ball to No.12 Sinclair and then immediately wrapped around, a play that they had used earlier and Riverview picked up on it, with the No.15 Hurley capitalising by taking an intercept, and McGregor kicking it out for the end of play. From my vantage point, if Sinclair held on to it, a decent sized hole had formed and surely he was through for a try, guess thats what inexperience does to a team (He is in Year 10).

3 - Mete, proved a constant threat down the right wing in scoring two and assisting on another.
2 - Fenn, his hard ball running and offloading was hard for Shore to contain, being in Year 11, we'll see plenty more of him to come.
1 - McGregor, still not back to his Schoolboy form but led from the front and made timely decisions that other players simply can't make.

Shore:
3 - Cowley, despite constant pressure from the View backline in attack he made some good passes and led well.
2 - Rixon, despite defensive lapses had some shining moments in attack, has a good boot on him and once he gets going, his hard to track down.
1 - Doyle, led the forwards well in the line outs.

Heres to a great season to come, probably the most wide open I've seen in a while. Can't wait till next term.

gps_pilfs

Bob McCowan (2)
Even with an injury and
Watching the game at Northbridge yesterday had me on the edge of my seat for the vast majority of the game, with some great running rugby and big hits throughout.

An injury early to View No. 8 Gehrig led to the replacement No. 20 being sin-binned for what the referee labelled as "talking back", would love to know what he said.

The outside backs for View dominated for the entire game, with all their tries coming down the right wing, something that Shore will have to address. Even with the speed that Rixon has, his poor defensive ability was put on display, furthermore I think he was pretty lucky to stay in the game after dropping No.11 O'Reilly on his head, thats a red card 9 times out of 10.
However, Shore stuck around in the first half, with some nifty tries of their own.

As the game wore on, tension built and despite suffering from clear amounts of pain to his shoulder, No. 10 McGregor led from the front with his kicks downfield, and his overall decision making including a try of his own in the corner. The game seemed all but over

But as Shore always seem to do against Riverview, they came back again and all of a sudden the deficit was 5 with three minutes remaining. A scrum 5 metres out on last play was Shore's last chance, with a deafening silence over Northbridge, the Shore No.10 Cowley through a ball to No.12 Sinclair and then immediately wrapped around, a play that they had used earlier and Riverview picked up on it, with the No.15 Hurley capitalising by taking an intercept, and McGregor kicking it out for the end of play. From my vantage point, if Sinclair held on to it, a decent sized hole had formed and surely he was through for a try, guess thats what inexperience does to a team (He is in Year 10).

3 - Mete, proved a constant threat down the right wing in scoring two and assisting on another.
2 - Fenn, his hard ball running and offloading was hard for Shore to contain, being in Year 11, we'll see plenty more of him to come.
1 - McGregor, still not back to his Schoolboy form but led from the front and made timely decisions that other players simply can't make.

Shore:
3 - Cowley, despite constant pressure from the View backline in attack he made some good passes and led well.
2 - Rixon, despite defensive lapses had some shining moments in attack, has a good boot on him and once he gets going, his hard to track down.

Heres to a great season to come, probably the most wide open I've seen in a while. Can't wait till next term.

even with an injury to one of their best players and a yellow card Shore weren't able to capitalise on a shaky View side. Looks like its going to be another rough season for the boys from Northbridge.

On another note, that Fenn guy is a straight beast

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Look there is no love lost between the two sides who have been playing one another for years. Tough game, bit of niggle, cheap shots all over the field if you watch the video replay, good game of footy. Pity Joeys lost. Move on.

I beg to differ rugby mum
Scots beating Joeys leaves 4 teams with a win and a loss, Newington with 2 wins and Shore without.
Newington are strong but not unbeatable.
It is shaping up to be the most open GPS in a number of years.
That's a good thing.
If Joeys had won it would have been somewhat fortunate.
It was a close game but Scots were certainly the better team on the day as a number of Joeys supporters have conceded.
Hardly a pity that the better team won...

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Disagree completely Wrist re Joeys vs Scots game and please allow me to be as partisan as you. 3 tries a piece makes what some would call a close encounter with 1 try disallowed for Joeys. I would say fairly even except for the kicking department. It was a good game with 1 winner and 1 loser, not necessarily the better team winning ;). Dan England was kicking very well.

I agree that Newington is beatable, and that the comp is wide open and the teams with most depth are likely to prevail. It is a long season plus throw Rep footy on top of that.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the tries by Grammar 1sts on their way to their convincing win over Kings 3rds. Put up some likes if you want me to upload more action from JS White Oval, North Parramatta.

Great footage - thanks SS. Loved the inside pass, the Campo-like inside out running, and the support play. That type of rugby doesn't need background music!

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)

Shore:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Even with an injury and

even with an injury to one of their best players and a yellow card Shore weren't able to capitalise on a shaky View side. Looks like its going to be another rough season for the boys from Northbridge.

On another note, that Fenn guy is a straight beast

So let me get this straight, you win the 1sts by 5 points, you draw with them in 2nds and you win by 2 points in 3rds, and Shore are heading for a rough season? By implication you're saying that Riverview is in for something very close to a rough season as well.:confused:

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It used to be rotated, not really sure how it is done now.

Gareth Inches played quite a bit of 1st grade for Manly.

The coaches have to ensure the on-field combinations work well without divulging their own schools' set moves, calls, strategies etc. Still 7 GPS rounds to go and they don't want inside knowledge becoming general knowledge!

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree with several observations ,McGregor led well on one leg and shoulder his reading of game the differnce in the end.However the Shore scrum was appalling and gave View a big advantage on go forward ball. Rixon was also lucky to escape red card ,unfortunately he has fractures Collar bone and likely out for season. The View outside backs took advantage of Shore's inexperience out wide, with Mete showing great speed and skill, well supported by 13 Terry.Shore stayed in game with Doyle and Bragg rallying the pack.View were unlucky to lose their 8 Gehrig who was showing his wares as a strong running backrower.
However , the Shore inside backs were appalling ... very poor in setting up the outside backs,the ball never got wide in attack, never giving their 2 fastest players Patrick and Rixon any room to move.They also missed some one on one tackles that led to tries. The Shore backs coach will have some serious juggling ahead.As Rixon is gone,their most potent attacking weapon is gone.They do have Corbett and Sam Allen coming back next round which will add some much needed experience out wide.
Neither side will threaten the top 3 teams joeys,Newington and Scots.
Congratulations to all those boys selected in GPS teams.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Some footage from the 16A's Kings win v Newington, i didn't get much, and not all of the tries, but i think there are about 5 here [mostly at the opp end of the field unfortunately].

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

etc etc

Hi Byron - our Shore v Newington writer had a sickie and if you don't mind I will lift your post to put in a blog.

There was a double whammy when our Kings writer had to drop out because his boy was playing at another ground.

If a few folks can write a few words on the Kings match maybe I can cobble a few words to put a brief "match on the run" report from the game.

Thanks all

LG

Status
Not open for further replies.