• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Cj, good preview. shore is at home though. Game definitely at Northbridge.

Indeed NIS. Took too quick a peek at the HJ Comp summary and went all dyslexic between New's Rnd 9 and Rnd 10 match locations. My bad. Apologies.

Shoremen at home will no doubt involve an abundance of the Comp's leading pies (assuming Azzuri hasn't swung by enroute to Hunters Hill), and presumably they'll be provided to the Newington change rooms an hour or so ahead of the game by the trayful... As if those big boppers from New will be able to resist that! ;) Shoremen to play inspired irrespective.

I suppose my main point on Scots was that after such an excellent last weekend for them, and not so much for Ruverview, they should take nothing for granted this weekend. New day. New match. Beware wounded pride. It can make short blokes tall, slow-coaches speed demons, and fumblers into exorcets.

Byron Williamson

Herbert Moran (7)
View vs Scots this week is looking like it will be a cracker. Weather permitting, and after Round 4, a great game of running rugby and exciting tries should be plentiful in this one. With the View year 12's having their last home game over in Lane Cove, they'll put up a big fight for their loyal supporters, but not sure it will be enough to stop Scots, especially with their schoolboys well rested after only playing one half last week. Scots by 10.

Will Cooper

Bob McCowan (2)
View vs Scots looks to be the game of the week. After a jog around the paddock for the boys in Gold last week, the Bellevue Boys will be rested and mentally prepared for this one. Especially after the Joe boys gave them hope for the premiership! Scots seem to be fully fit each week so there are no reason for distractions nor a lack in preparation. Scots by 15.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Reaching out to Uncle Jim (Belshaw), Executive Pastor of the Church of 3rds.

With Grammar taking their Bye this week, and Joeys hosting Kings at home (and looking undeniable for all the Premiership chocolates), the battle for a podium finish would seem to come down to this weekend's Scots hosting of your alma mater, TAS. Correct?

Apart from being demolished by the Joe Boys in their match a few weeks ago, the lads in Gold have been toiling away pretty well in this weight division, including a stirring win over a determined Shore last week, 17-10.

When TAS played the Shoremen a month or so ago, as I recall, Shore had that extraordinary winning scoreline, 3-0, though that could so easily have been 5-3 to TAS if only the field was about 2 metres shorter - Shore making one of the best try-saving cover-defending, and as it turned out, match-winning, tackles you'll ever likely see!

So, all signs point to a gripping encounter between these 2x towards the top of the table teams chasing bronze for Season 2015. I haven't seen a fixture sheet for the w'end games yet, but as most of the rest of the day's Rugby for Scots will be played over at Lane Cove, I assume this 3rds clash at Bellevue Hill will have a 1pm kickoff - but query that? One to watch 'live' if you can get there.

Beard

Allen Oxlade (6)
normally in the 3rds comp Cracker if the Scots boys are away from the rest of the school the game will be at 12 noon to allow them to back up for 2nds if the traffic is kind.

Also need to factor in that this is TAS last opportunity for points as they have the bye in the final round.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Kings V Joeys-Round 9 Preview

An ancient battle reignites

It’s not widely known that there is long and acrimonious history to the current adversarial relationship enjoyed by round 9 protagonists Kings and Joeys. The fact that the sport of rugby was spawned from this long fractured relationship has been a well-guarded secret, until now.

The acrimony that exists between the two camps has its nexus in the early 1500’s when Joeys (who supported the Papacy of Clement VII) and Kings (who supported Henry the VIII) had a little tiff about the amount of time Henry was spending on Ashley Madison hooking up with members of his extended family. Joey’s couldn'tsee the humour in the situation, so it was decided that the matter would be settled by a violent trial of strength and endurance between supporters of both camps to be fought in the depths of winter each year. It was from these tortuous beginnings that the gladiatorial pursuit we now know as rugby, evolved.

Despite the passage of 500 years the rivalry and quest for dominance between these two sides has not abated. In fact if anything it’s increased. This Saturday’s penultimate round hostilities between these two ancient foes will be a stark reminder that past indiscretions have been neither forgotten nor excused.

With the sun on their backs from last week’s victory over the Stanmore Shorthorns the Cerise and Blue will be more fired up than a bunch of arsonists at an oil refinery. Expect to see the Joe boys with flames shooting out of their noses and red mist in their eyes when they run on at 3.15 Saturday fueled on by the shrieking, blood curdling war chants of the Joey’s Rugby Mums stationed around the perimeter of Jacks bar. Tom Horton will be hard on the ball and his jackaling counterparts, Simpson and McGrath will be looking to clean house at the breakdown and provide Clements and Jaffer-Williams plenty of ball and space to unleash their latest breakdance.

The lads from Parramatta will be looking to King Louis Heaton to lead his troops into battle and hit each breakdown with the force of a Zombie Apocalypse and the speed of a herd of meth fueled bag snatchers at a bingo hall on pension day.

The forward battle will be no place for the fainthearted and expect to see the Ryan lads tear into the breakdowns like a couple of hungry hyenas who’ve been on a week-long salad cleanse. The Orpen lads along with Stubbs will look to get up in their oppositions faces and Millar will make his usually blistering return runs to finish off.

All in all I see this as the match of the round and I’m going to call it early and give this game as a potential 4.5 Bocconcini’s out of 5.

Score Prediction: Kings by 7

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
Azzuri .. in the words of the great and late Richie Benaud ..that was "MARVELOUS "

However i see Joeys seem to be better overall without Wright (that's not taking anything away from Tom he is a great player, i think the team just relied on him too much ) as the rest of the team have risen to the occasion. i Like the cut of Kings cloth as they play as a real team, no super stars (as i have said before #8 is close though) ,just lots of very good players. Joeys by 12

New will be too good for Shore again even without a couple of their backs out 13 Kenewell for sure and maybe # 10 as well.However they will have all 835Kg's of their forward pack playing, Shore's best chance is a heat wave!
New by plenty ,stopped counting now in fairness to the boys,it's not all their fault.
Shore scrum may be on roller skates,and with Shore's inside backs giving such poor service last week,things wont get any better for 13 to 15 in the backline.

Scots training run last week against Shore should see them fresh to touch up View,overall too good , but if the View forwards get some ball,their outside backs fed by McGregor are very dangerous. Scots this weekend by 20 .

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)

It’s not widely known that ...

All in all I see this as the match of the round and I’m going to call it early and give this game as a potential 4.5 Bocconcini’s out of 5.

Score Prediction: Kings by 7

Add that one to the GAGR Gold pile, Az! (Will refer back to it when am in need of a good chortle.) :) :)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Azzuri that is classic!

shrieking, blood curdling war chants of the Joey’s Rugby Mums stationed around the perimeter of Jacks bar

Reminds me of a passage from Rudyard Kipling

When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws,
They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the squaws.
’Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale.
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Hard to see any chance of an upset this weekend ...

Even a depleted Newington will have way too much firepower for Shore. Similarly Joeys are on a roll, and being at home, I think Rugby Mum 2 and her fellow Joeys Mums will be dancing a happy jig, in their RMs.
All of which leaves only Scots versus View, and very hard to see View pulling a rabbit out of a hat, on that one. Then again that funny shaped ball can always surprise ... so anointing View versus Scots as match of the round, although it is close enough to Hunters Hill that if it looks like a cricket score at half time could head over to Jacks to see the victory Jig.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Good to see you boys taking some pride in your work, it has made for very entertaining reading. Never forget that the female is deadlier than the male. I have a new found love for Kipling. I will pay that SDW. Although no dancing, just drinking at Jack's.

As for the great wordsmith Azzuri, he scores 5 meat pies and a bonus bocconcini for his efforts. But he keeps getting the result wrong :cool:

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

With Grammar taking their Bye this week, and Joeys hosting Kings at home (and looking undeniable for all the Premiership chocolates), the battle for a podium finish would seem to come down to this weekend's Scots hosting of your alma mater, TAS. Correct?

Apart from being demolished by the Joe Boys in their match a few weeks ago, the lads in Gold have been toiling away pretty well in this weight division, including a stirring win over a determined Shore last week, 17-10.

When TAS played the Shoremen a month or so ago, as I recall, Shore had that extraordinary winning scoreline, 3-0, though that could so easily have been 5-3 to TAS if only the field was about 2 metres shorter - Shore making one of the best try-saving cover-defending, and as it turned out, match-winning, tackles you'll ever likely see!

So, all signs point to a gripping encounter between these 2x towards the top of the table teams chasing bronze for Season 2015. I haven't seen a fixture sheet for the w'end games yet, but as most of the rest of the day's Rugby for Scots will be played over at Lane Cove, I assume this 3rds clash at Bellevue Hill will have a 1pm kickoff - but query that? One to watch 'live' if you can get there.

Bless you, my son. I think that you are right, but will recheck the numbers.

Will Cooper

Bob McCowan (2)

Azzuri, marvellous words!

All posts on this thread have been brilliant to read and it is coming to my attention that there is only 2 games to go! It's been a great season full of twists and turns, and the end premiers (whoever that may be) would have deserved a nice relaxing summer. Bring on 2016! ;)

Cheers for the great insight fellas.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

....... I assume this 3rds clash at Bellevue Hill will have a 1pm kickoff - but query that? One to watch 'live' if you can get there.

Program on TAS web site shows 12pm game. Will get there if I can.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Earlier I said that I would post the full TASvGrammar results when I got them as a comparison of the relative strengths of the two schools.

Grammar beat TAS in the Firsts (26-10), the Thirds (15-7), the 16As (38-7), the 15Bs (36-21), the 14As (19-17), the 13Bs (14-12) and the 13Cs (59-21). The last was interesting because SGS 13Cs were playing the TAS 12s. Good to see the younger boys getting experience.

TAS won the Seconds (28-12), the 15As (43-0), the 14Bs (36-10) and the 14Bs (36-10). Over on the thread that dare not speak its name, I learn that BGS has apparently pinched one of the TAS 15As.

So just on the day, SGS came out in front. Not sure what it tells us for next year, in part because I do not know year distribution of the senior boys.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Azzuri's letting his bias get in the road of objectivity here, surely it's Joeys v King's, home team first.

The Italian Stallion and RM2 can rabbit on all they like about the Joey's Rugby Mums enjoying themselves over a few bottles of champagne (I've never seen champagne in the Joeys dining room post-march!) but that pales in comparison to the quantity of beer sunk by Old Boys at Jacks after the final whistle. Ably helped by a few OBs from King's on the odd occasion. The Joeys OBU are justifiably proud of their little licensed shack tucked away in the south-west corner, it has all the charm of a country pub or a beer booth at a western NSW show with the added usefulness of a men's shed. In my time it used to be the weights shed, but it's been altered and spruced up to better meet its current task.

Going back to the Joemums, I'd like to congratulate them for the wonderful spreads they've put on over the years; it'd surely have to be the best feed going in the GPS. Who could top a whole hot ham carved off the bone in front of them? You've done an outstanding job scoring the pies, Azzuri, how about a similar exercise on the dining room spreads?

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Not in the dining room silly duffer, that's just cups of tea and cream cakes. We are talking about the contraband at Jacks bar that's snuck in under the cover of darkness. And no ham, just sushi - we are moving with the times. As to beer drinking, I will leave that to others.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Good point @Lindommer.

As the AAGPS season winds down, that is a timely reminder of what School sport should be about.

We tend to focus a little too much on the winners, men of the match, future wallabies, NSW and Aust schoolboys performances, competition tables, promoting the virtues of the schools that we are associated with etc, and forget that the majority of these are just kids playing a game they love, with their mates against good acquaintances.

With the season almost done and dusted, nominations are now open for the more prestigious awards of the AAGPS season:

a. Best 1st XV Afternoon Tea
(Quality 25%, Quantity 45%, Range 15%, Captain's speech, 10%, Location 5%)

b. Best Canteen/BBQ
(Quality of product 50%, speed of service 30%, Value for money 20%)

c. Best Match Day experience
(Parking 20%, Crowd behaviour 10%, Sportsmanship 25%, Canteen/BBQ 10%, Afternoon Tea 10%, exciting footy 10%, Medical Support 5%, Presentation of ovals 10%)

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Sushi? SUSHI! Looxury. Back in my day we were lucky to get boiled boot. And that were after brother booted bum with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.