• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Staff member
1723504550190.png

Get your tips in or....

good.gif

JohnJuice7

Bob McCowan (2)
Joeys Play have been way too predictible for the past couple years. Since they won in 2022, they have been using the same style of play and technique, which is too easy for other schools to predict.

Shore has the best maul in the GPS competition this year, going into the match Joeys had zero preperation for maul defence, which was clearly shown by the multiple tries scored by mauls.

The game is changing and so does Joeys need to change.

runtheballup

Frank Row (1)
The unsung heroes of the Newington camp
As an avid supporter of Newington Rugby, I think that two players from Stanmore deserve much more praise than they are given. Apart from the obvious stars in Toby Rodwell, Luca Cleverly and Heamasi Makasini, in my opinion, two boys have stood up and put their hearts, souls, and bodies on the line for the Wyvern. Cooper Habler (5 for New but is a 7) and Dylan Simmons (8 for New but is a 7). Amidst the chaos of their gutting season, having a chance at the halfway mark to win the competition, to coming last, Habler and Simmons have been ones that give their all every game. Dylan is a dominant ball runner with the ability to make enormous hits on defense, who made the GPS 2nd team (deservedly) and capitalised on that opportunity; going to the next level and showing what he was capable of. He is a real battler who without a doubt will always hit the ball up hard and make try-saving tackles. However, there is one boy who does not get anywhere near as much praise as he should; and that is Habler. With the amount of Stars in this year's competition's forward packs with players such as Le Maitre, Brial and Cleverly, Habler has been the one who does the dirty work. He might not be able to run the ball like Simmons, however, he will run until he collapses, making tackle after tackle, topping the Newington tackle count week after week. In my opinion, he doesn't get the praise he should be getting mainly because he isn't the standout player to your everyday rugby fan, he doesn't make the line breaks or score the tries, but to a veteran union supporter, you'd be able to recognise the effort he puts in week after week. If you get the chance to either re-watch a game or watch New vs Kings on BTND this Saturday, do yourself a favour and give Habler a watch. However, I did notice he got taken off in the second half against Scots, and I'm not sure why, so I'm imagining it might be an injury?
On another note, I just want to congratulate Shore on their historic competition win. Congratulations on a gritty and deserving win!
Thanks a lot,
RunTheBallUp

JohnJuice7

Bob McCowan (2)
Also Joeys need to work on converting their underage success into opens if they want to have any hope of having rugby success in the future. Currently their seems to be very little connection between underage A's teams at joeys and their high level opens teams. Teams widely go through undefeated in their junior years only to end up having shocking results in opens (2023 1st XV).

As with many other schools Joeys are going to need to reorganise their rugby program, especially with pathways if they want to continue their rugby success into the future.

Victorlovesfooty

Bob McCowan (2)
Also Joeys need to work on converting their underage success into opens if they want to have any hope of having rugby success in the future. Currently their seems to be very little connection between underage A's teams at joeys and their high level opens teams. Teams widely go through undefeated in their junior years only to end up having shocking results in opens (2023 1st XV).

As with many other schools Joeys are going to need to reorganise their rugby program, especially with pathways if they want to continue their rugby success into the future.
Joeys have the best rugby program in the GPS, clearly demonstrated by their domination through the ages and the lower opens teams.

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
Cut the rubbish on Joeys. Any MIC would love their depth and talent across the age groups. As a Kings supporter I’d love our juniors to get within cooee of them (I digress but 13 yo need to know how to tackle, ruck, and draw and pass - screw pods).
However Joeys junior success can set up unrealistic expectations (as well as nostalgia) on the 1st XV.
They led the comp until last weekend and have still won three of the last five. They’re going alright.
The professionalism and “arms race” of school boy rugby has gone too far imo, and has in part crulled interest from the CHS schools to the detriment of rugby. (But again I digress).
Are there tactics dated, perhaps, but they’re still looking at second place at worst for ‘24.
Shore to their credit are building from the ground up and both surprised and impressed me this year.
I do hope we avoid the route of Barker however only investing in the top team.
Looking at the individual talent this year is incredible ( both GPS and CAS/ISA) however the team play has dropped from ‘23 and many of the best are already committed to league.
Joeys have great 15/16s coming through, they’ll be back.

gus titler

Peter Burge (5)

This is because other schools are very fond of somehow finding "new players" for their rugby teams in years 11 and 12. I don't know maybe they are good playing the triangle

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
One further comment on Joeys juniors form not necessarily flowing through to Opens.
They are bloody good.
Their room for improvement is much less than other schools.
The 15s smoked it this year comfortably but they played very well. Their opponents were pressured into errors and missed tackles which led to blow outs.
That won’t happen in Opens.
That is the biggest challenge for the Joeys Opens program. Kids will be used to executing a high paced, skillful game plan. That may not be enough when the others improve.

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)

this conconnect may be showing that the running up cricket scores for four years may not be the best preparation for the opens. With large wins in the underages, are they ending up with the best "footballers" than can fight it out under pressure in the A's? Or do they end up with the kids that are a little more flashy and can pile-on points when they are on top. The A teams are rarely tested each year so it must be very hard to see who can actually play under pressure.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
this conconnect may be showing that the running up cricket scores for four years may not be the best preparation for the opens. With large wins in the underages, are they ending up with the best "footballers" than can fight it out under pressure in the A's? Or do they end up with the kids that are a little more flashy and can pile-on points when they are on top. The A teams are rarely tested each year so it must be very hard to see who can actually play under pressure.
I get the point but what are they meant to do about it if other schools can't give them the good game? Play with 13 players?

Most of the time they get what View giving them a run in As-Fs and a couple others in the As maybe once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.