• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

TheFoundingFather

Stan Wickham (3)

sundayeightpm

Stan Wickham (3)
I can only assume Grover, Bassingthwaighte, Hartman and Makasini are in the PONI squad. Very interesting…
I am actually not too sure about that. We shall see when the mysterious list is finally released. Hartman was already named in the PONI squad earlier in the year. I understand that Masi (Makasini) is already in conversations with various NRL clubs also.

KingD

Bob McCowan (2)
Is there an up to date PONI list?
Assume Max Gough has been added to it and so not seen?
Also, I’m sure others from other associations. e.g. Lewis Wilson (Augs/ISA prop), Talaileva (Barker/CAS #8), Taj Smith [Barker/CAS #4), Harrison Dene, not sure but can Sam Nuilala play at this comp or just schoolboys. I’m sure many others.
Have seen Smith play live and his line out jumping on defence at the very front of the lineout (with often only 1 lifter behind him) is unbelievable - springs in his legs!
With CAS lineout problems on their own ball, was very surprised they were hardly throwing to him, could well have changed result.

Last edited:

Maul of Duty

Herbert Moran (7)
Is there an up to date PONI list?
Assume Max Gough has been added to it and so not seen?
Also, I’m sure others from other associations. e.g. Lewis Wilson (Augs/ISA prop), Talaileva (Barker/CAS #8), Taj Smith [Barker/CAS #4), Harrison Dene, not sure but can Sam Nuilala play at this comp or just schoolboys. I’m sure many others.
Have seen Smith play live and his line out jumping on defence at the very front of the lineout (with often only 1 lifter behind him) is unbelievable - springs in his legs!
With CAS lineout problems on their own ball, was very surprised they were hardly throwing to him, could well have changed result.
No update to what was released in March. None of the boys you listed were on that list from what I can see

Maul of Duty

Herbert Moran (7)
Gotcha - defo makes even more of a mockery of the PONI concept - several of those players IMO have been surpassed by emerging talent uncovered over this season and the last few days of the Schools trials. Who makes these decisions re: PONI structure etc. Maybe the SOARR group needs to refocus its energy on the whole pathways/ schoolboys rugby administration?
Goes both ways I think. PONI concept acknowledges the early players that have been identified and also allows other players to earn selection in the squad throughout the year. I don’t believe that the current PONI group will be the final team that is selected as form throughout the season will be taken into account. While some PONI players may have been surpassed by others, there are definitely players in the Schools 1 and 2 team that just aren’t at the same level as their PONI counterpart either

moa999

Watty Friend (18)
I don't have an issue with the PONI concept. Ultimately it's a talent identification list, and gives them opportunities.

But the lack of consistency year to year and excluding these boys from a mid-season tournament is crazy.

At least last year the Academy sides played each other over the break, with the Schoolboys sides effectively a 3rd 4th side.
This year it's kind of a 2nd 3rd, but the supposed best players are sitting out.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't have an issue with the PONI concept. Ultimately it's a talent identification list, and gives them opportunities.

But the lack of consistency year to year and excluding these boys from a mid-season tournament is crazy.

At least last year the Academy sides played each other over the break, with the Schoolboys sides effectively a 3rd 4th side.
This year it's kind of a 2nd 3rd, but the supposed best players are sitting out.
The PONI scam is the major reason for inconsistent selection calls. Sets in bias and means protected players don’t need to push ….. so you probably do have an issue with PONI you just don’t realise!