• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

sundayeightpm

Stan Wickham (3)
Gotcha - defo makes even more of a mockery of the PONI concept - several of those players IMO have been surpassed by emerging talent uncovered over this season and the last few days of the Schools trials. Who makes these decisions re: PONI structure etc. Maybe the SOARR group needs to refocus its energy on the whole pathways/ schoolboys rugby administration?

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
Combined States/Baa Baa Squad (a mix of School and Clubs Aust wide) who will be competing at the ASRU Championships from Tuesday

Attachments

• IMG_4793.jpeg
    IMG_4793.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Billy McGee

Allen Oxlade (6)
Bewildered with some of the people missing from this list, including players who over the trials performed better than their PONI counterparts, incredibly disappointed with certain omissions to say the least.
I don’t have a dog in the fight but can imagine your frustration if you have a lad that’s affected by the system.
It does look as if a few benefited from playing in the White and Blue teams with selection above the GPS 1sts and 2nds equivalents.
From what I saw, much of the backs play yesterday was similar to your comments re View vs Shore - playing for selection.
Would love to see a backline judged by how many tries their wingers score

sundayeightpm

Stan Wickham (3)
Yep, in the final selections, it seems the Blues an Whites just there to make up numbers i.e. keep it fair and make the Country and CCC boys get a game. However, the idea of giving as many boys as possible the opportunity to represent at this level is a good one. From my perspective, the ASRU Champs format (which I played in back in 1990-91) are tired and need a revamp - much like Super Rugby. Sadly, I feel like, with the State Unions are trying to distance themselves anyways. Surreptitiously (luv that word), I reckon the PONI concept is the States and RA attempt to say to the Schools comp "remember, we decide the Aus U18 Team, and will send who we want to you pony Champs..."

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
PONI is the dumbest thing going on in junior rugby. It is the opposite of development. It is so bewilderingly dumb but then again it is a concept developed by RA which is the very best union in the world at doing dumb things. We don’t call out players for poor form on this site but there is a significant correlation between PONI inclusion and performances below expectations. Furthermore, selectors and officials lock in their bias by naming a junior player in such a squad. They are rusted on to the players success so reinforce the bias by seeing what they want to see, the very opposite of objective. PONI = Poor Option Nutsack Idea.

sundayeightpm

Stan Wickham (3)
Interestingly the person I'm referring to was actually in the GPS 2s and their lack of selection reveals a huge blind spot from the selectors, which will most likely come back to haunt them when this person is inevitably picked for some form of national representation next year.
I hear you...and agree. Or they will turn up at an NRL club ;-). The winger selections were 'tainted' right across the GPS squads IMO.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
NRL - That'll happen with half the gilded cage PONIs anyway… free development for the NRL, help them ID exactly who they should steal to upset RA. I heard the horse guy thinks they named it PONI in honour of him then Gus Gould pointed out it was PONI not Pony…. Dead donkey more like it.