• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
This is my understanding of the U18 Rep Pathway going forward

All Associations - School (GPS, CAS, ISA, CCC, CHS, AICES) & Club (CRU & SJRU) have now competed in trial games and from here THREE x NSW teams will be selected in 2024.

These three teams (NSW Schools I & II and NSW Juniors) will contest at the ASRU tournament next week on Tues 2nd, Wed 3rd and Fri 5th July in QLD.

School Teams playing at ASRU in QLD are
-NSW 1
-NSW 2
-NSW Juniors (club only)
-QLD Maroon
-QLD White
-Victoria
-ACT
-Combined States

Players in the Waratahs Academy teams are able to participate at these ASRU Championships – if they are NOT in the PONI (Player of National Interest) squad.

The Waratahs Academy teams will be re-selected at the conclusion of all competitions and these teams will play QLD Academy teams at the end of Term 3.

Nationally
A 2nd PONI squad will be announced on 12th July (the 1st squad was announced on 29th March).
A 3rd and final PONI squad will be announced on 8th September.
The PONI squad will assemble for a National Camp on 22nd September.

A combined Australian Schools & U18 side will be selected to play NZ.

Also, there is a NSW game played each year for the 'Michael Brial Cup' between Sydney & Country (clubs only) on Sunday 28th July.

Last edited:

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
IMG_6527.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 491

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Nicholson (4)
It did feel like GPS I were lucky to hold onto their lead, CAS played much more enterprising rugby in the second half and really went for it. The energy and momentum was fully with them for most if not all of the second half.

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agreed, it prioritizes previous standing and not naming names it was clear that this leads to apathy as seen yesterday, it doesn't incentivize improvement it just bolsters egos and complacency. If we want the best out of our junior players we should select the best right now, not select someone because they were in a certain team last year.

As an invested party my opinion obviously has bias to it but seeing how lazy certain PONI players were yesterday and contrasting that with a plethora of gutsy performances from players in other teams across the competition. It really pains me to know that there are players who fight every minute across many games for just a shot at a NSW or AUS squad, and yet others can coast off of previous merit and not even need to put in satisfactory performances to make it, it's really frustrating, and in my eyes there are already PONI players who have already been usurped on skill by their unrecognized challengers.

Last edited:

shaquille_oatmeal

Frank Nicholson (4)
The disillusionment that players feel because of things like this will see them take their talent elsewhere, why bother working hard to make it into a higher team here? if they have already made up their mind because a certain player was good when they were 16 or 17yo then why bother?

Adversity is a catalyst for growth, you're essentially making an adversity and challenge-free environment by putting them in that PONI bubble. It has the double negative of making those you've selected more complacent, and also denies those outside that bubble the opportunity to challenge their PONI counterparts. We will only continue to struggle at a national level if we keep prioritizing these PONI players rather than frequently identifying, evaluating, and reevaluating those we select with thorough scrutiny and impartiality.

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
Tomorrow, we have the NSWSRU Under 16s Championships - 8 teams
Results

9:30 PRES XV A v ISA II
29-0

10:20 AICES v CHS
10-15

11:10 ISA I v CCC
20-5

12:00 PRES XV B v CAS
10-7

12:50 Winner Game 1 v Winner Game 2
PRES A v CHS
29-0

13:40 Loser Game 1 v Loser Game 2
ISA II v AICES
12-8

14:30 Winner Game 3 v Winner Game 4
ISA I v PRES B
36-7

15:20 Loser Game 3 v Loser Game 4
CCC v CAS
12-15

Last edited:

Maul of Duty

Herbert Moran (7)
In relation to the PONI squad, is this not just the first of many potential players that will make the final team? My understanding is that there are 3 different stages where players are added to the PONI squad and from their the player will either have to fight to keep their initial position or lose it to another player who has gone through the year, week in, week out proving to the selectors that they deserve the position ahead of the initial person that was identified.

I actually believe that this way of doing it allows a far greater number of people to be identified and ultimately recognised for their efforts on the field.
Being in the PONI squad from the outset can be a dangerous position as there will be many young men out there hungry to take their spot.

sundayeightpm

Bob McCowan (2)
Is anyone else pissed that we cant' find the NSW Schools Squads (and PONI) anywhere - except on rugbynews.net.au who want to charge you for the privilege. I find this sort of thing, along with the general shiteness of the Rugby Explorer app etc an embarassment for Rugby.