• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
Gents,

Something I have often pondered in recent years, is with the year round commitment which playing opens rugby is these days. The multi sport athletes are becoming few and far between... I leave it open to the forum to list some of the best multi sport athletes going around in the GPS at the moment. I believe these athletes deserve real recognition for their immense commitment to their school.

Here are a few I am aware of:
Gus Grover (SIC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket
Will Johnston (TSC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket, Athletics
Luca Cleverly (NC): 1st Rugby, 1st Basketball

Would love to hear some other ones
Cheers, howgood.
There are a few Shore boys who were in the First VIII who are now in the 2nd XV. There are a few boys who are in the First VIII and First XV. Namely:

Dooley (J) 3 Seat First VIII, Starting Second Row First XV
Baker (K) 6 Seat First VIII, Starting Second Row First XV
Whalan (K) 2 Seat First VIII, Starting Blindside Flanker First XV
Thiel (K) was in the First VIII 2023, but quit. He is now the Second Row of the Kings First XV

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gents,

Something I have often pondered in recent years, is with the year round commitment which playing opens rugby is these days. The multi sport athletes are becoming few and far between... I leave it open to the forum to list some of the best multi sport athletes going around in the GPS at the moment. I believe these athletes deserve real recognition for their immense commitment to their school.

Cheers, howgood.

From last year at Joeys:
Hwi Sharples 4yrs 1st XI cricket, 2yrs First XV rugby - GPS rep at both
Oscar Jorgensen - 3yrs 1sts basketball, 3 yrs 1st XV rugby, also GPS rep at swimming and athletics.

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
There are a few Shore boys who were in the First VIII who are now in the 2nd XV. There are a few boys who are in the First VIII and First XV. Namely:

Thiel (K) was in the First VIII 2023, but quit. He is now the Second Row of the Kings First XV
Chairman,

You got few jumbled up here, Whalan (K) was the 1st VIII 7 Seat and the 1st VIII 2 Seat was Farrah (K).

Coincidentally that makes them in the same crew and the same rugby team. Not only is that top-notch athletic performance, but some proper schoolboy mateship - that'll create a great trust in the Kings XV forward pack that Newington might need to think about when taking them head on this weekend...

- Cheeky

CutOutBallFanatic

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gents,

Cheers, howgood.
Daniel Osborne (SIC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket
Angus Mcgrath (SIC): 1st Rugby, 1st Rowing

Cheers,
- Fanatic.

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)

Bit more to this

I believe Logan (J) was 1sts Waterpolo x2 and is now the 7 for the First XV

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOKER- I want you.jpg

I WANT YOUR TIPS

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
Gents,

Cheers, howgood.
Bit more to this, some of the finest AAGPS Athletes have been in both.

Nicholas Purnell (E) was First XV 2008 and First VIII 2008. He would represent the Aus M8+ at Tokyo 2020.
Alastair Holmes a Court (E) was First XV 2011 and 2012, and would go on to win the 2012 HOTR in the Bow of the First VIII.
Jackson Kench (E) played A's rugby all the way from 13-16s but would have to stop due to rowing comittments. He would be in both the champion 2016 and 2017 crews.

Probably a few that i'm missing but those are the ones that are off the top of my head

Reactions: Syd

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
Bit more to this, some of the finest AAGPS Athletes have been in both.

Nicholas Purnell (E) was First XV 2008 and First VIII 2008. He would represent the Aus M8+ at Tokyo 2020.
Alastair Holmes a Court (E) was First XV 2011 and 2012, and would go on to win the 2012 HOTR in the Bow of the First VIII.
Jackson Kench (E) played A's rugby all the way from 13-16s but would have to stop due to rowing comittments. He would be in both the champion 2016 and 2017 crews.
Similarly, Karl Schmidt (N) was First VIII and XV in 2008. Legend says that Nicholas Purnell didn't loose a single sculling race while training at Shore, hence why he is an olympic athlete...

- Cheeky

The Front Rower

Ward Prentice (10)
Important that you mention this Steve,

Mistakes have been made and whats done is done now - leaving very little room for much needed experimentation. Tis impossible one cannot ponder why the trials weren't utilised more effectively to address this.

Does somebody know of any issues going on within the TSC coaching staff? Perhaps TSC 1st XV coaches could bite the bullet, making bold moves with their formations as they can't afford to wait until the final few games to shake things up. Large's return could add a bit of confidence in the way of victory as well.

If they choose to let things unfold the way they are, history may repeat itself.....

- Cheeky
You just need to read allot of previous comments to answer that question !

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)
From last year at Joeys:
Hwi Sharples 4yrs 1st XI cricket, 2yrs First XV rugby - GPS rep at both
Oscar Jorgensen - 3yrs 1sts basketball, 3 yrs 1st XV rugby, also GPS rep at swimming and athletics.
Looking at kings last year.

Boston Fakafunu 1st xv and basketball

Tyrese Lokeni, Lachy smith, Hamish barber, Hadley Tonga, Luke Maroun, Austin Dubriage 1stXV and 2nds basketball

Adney Reid 1st basketball, 2nd XV and current BYU student for College football (nfl)

Tom watts 1st XV and swimming

Issac fonua XV and junior 8
Frasier wait, Tom watts 1st xv 2nd 8
Fraser captain of rowing and rugby

Plus about all 75% of the 1st and 2nd XV being apart of the athletics team who won in 2022 (Hadley Tonga co-captain of athletics)

sorry if I missed any members.

Last edited:

NotAlwaysCorrectAdam

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking at kings last year.

Boston Fakafunu 1st xv and basketball

Tyrese Lokeni, Lachy smith, Hamish barber, Hadley Tonga, Luke Maroun, Austin Dubriage 1stXV and 2nds basketball

Adney Reid 1st basketball, 2nd XV and current BYU student for College football (nfl)

Tom watts 1st XV and swimming

Issac fonua XV and junior 8
Frasier wait, Tom watts 1st xv 2nd 8
Fraser captain of rowing and rugby

Plus about all 75% of the 1st and 2nd XV being apart of the athletics team who won in 2022 (Hadley Tonga co-captain of athletics)

sorry if I missed any members.
An infamous 2nds ball team. One of the best King's has had I would say...

Bobcat54

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know if its raining on Saturday? It seems to be the reason for lots of upsets this year.
Forecast at this point says yes. Wet and cold for this weekend, a top of 14 degrees. Hopefully we see a change because I am getting sick of this wet footy, not as fun to watch.

- Bobcat