• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

John Hipwell (52)
1721984047470.png

8u0tlz.jpg

ManOSteel

Frank Row (1)
Question I'd like to pose. Is GPS rugby turning towards producing more first-grade league players rather than union?

In the past 10 years

Kings have produced
  • Joseph Sua'ali'i (Who is returning to Union)
  • Will Penisini

Scots have produced
  • Angus Crichton
  • Toby Rudolf
  • Billy Smith
  • Siua Wong
And Newington on a completely different level have produced
  • Joey Lussick
  • Taane Milne
  • Tepai Moeroa
  • Cameron Murray
  • Bailey Simonsson
  • Toluta'u Koula
  • Jesse McLean

I thought of this watching Penisini but genuinely think the production of players from these schools could very well be shifting towards the NRL. Would love to hear some comments regarding this

-Superman (King of Lists)

ManOSteel

Frank Row (1)
They "produced" no one.
NRL clubs simply parked their players at private schools so it would lock them in to the club paying their fees.
TOTALLY LEGAL, but ethically?
Why wouldn't they park them at league schools to further develop skills in the sport they're actually prioritising?
Such as Gregs, Pats or Westfields

FastNFurious

Bill Watson (15)
Question I'd like to pose. Is GPS rugby turning towards producing more first-grade league players rather than union?

In the past 10 years

Kings have produced
  • Joseph Sua'ali'i (Who is returning to Union)
  • Will Penisini

Scots have produced
  • Angus Crichton
  • Toby Rudolf
  • Billy Smith
  • Siua Wong
And Newington on a completely different level have produced
  • Joey Lussick
  • Taane Milne
  • Tepai Moeroa
  • Cameron Murray
  • Bailey Simonsson
  • Toluta'u Koula
  • Jesse McLean

I thought of this watching Penisini but genuinely think the production of players from these schools could very well be shifting towards the NRL. Would love to hear some comments regarding this

-Superman (King of Lists)
Produced? Hahahhaaaa

Mungo1866

Frank Nicholson (4)
Why wouldn't they park them at league schools to further develop skills in the sport they're actually prioritising?
Because as someone who went to one of those schools the GPS/CAS schools (even the worst of these schools is better performed ) are all better academically and do offer opportunities that make them more attractive to the player or family To some extent the players are shopping themselves to both rugby and league - that won’t happen otherwise. Peter Mulholland Cup ( a great bloke- so a clue there I went) in league highlights a few teams and players but GPS/CAS makes it really easy to watch players develop.

Joker

John Hipwell (52)
NRL clubs aren’t stupid. The offer of two years at a AAGPS school gives these kids a taste of something they would never dream of. Some AAGPS schools are known as “parking stations” as they are very happy to accept these players. Not all schools do.