• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
IMG_1499.jpeg
IMG_1500.jpeg

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
@Joker, did you previously mention that you attended Knox prep in which you met this great friend of yours in a Shore prep vs Knox prep U12 game? Must make this mateship even more special considering you would've changed schools (Knox to Joeys) and would have been able to play against him even more (as Shore plays Joeys more than they do Knox), and then continued to be mates with him even though you were in more so rivaling schools than you were in the prep.
You have it muddled. When I left Knox and went to Joeys I got to play my best friend from Knox. He was a winger. We grew apart and my friendship with Tim started about a month after the Knox game. I am lucky I have made friends across many schools.

Last edited:

The Chairman

Cyril Towers (30)
Tomorrow, much to my surprise, Mackellar (E) is selected to play for the 2nd XV - a drastic change from the 1st XV, where he has played since he was in year 10. I have no answer as to why this change is being made. Is it possible that he has gotten into trouble? Is he not working hard enough? He's too good for this to be the result of talent, I would believe. Anyway, my prediction for tomorrow is a man-of-the-match performance by Mackellar against Joeys and an individual act to carry us to victory. So I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Yours in sporting reason, A sane observer

-wisemaan
He hasn’t been producing or having the impact on the Wing that he was having at 13 last year. Breakwell played magnificent last weekend. Makes total sense. Either him or Francis had to go down. Francis has been finding the line more, so they had no other option.

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)
May I ask who that teacher was who informed you about 'Jikka' Travers? Wouldn't surprise me if it was Mr John Meakins. He actually played Cranbrook 1st XV fly half in I believe 1968, and is the only Shore staff member to have been at the school for 4 different headmasters; last couple years of 'Jikka' Travers tenure (he actually gave John Meakins the job as a history teacher when Meakins walked into the school with his history teaching qualifications after seeing flyers for the job in public, then Jikka hired him practically on the spot), the entire Bob Grant and Timothy Wright era and 1 year of Timothy Petterson. An incredible feat considering each headmaster lasts about 15-20 years (normally). I'm aware that John Meakins came to know "Jikka" quite well and picked up his focus on sporting success, which Meakins coached many sports teams and I had the privilige of knowing him while I was at school there during Meakins almost 45 year teaching career at Shore. Another great man.
You hit the nail on the head. It was Meako.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
View attachment 19207
Tales from the Badger

Jika recalls….

One glorious afternoon, as the setting sun shone its final golden beams across Stirling Bridge battle field, a group of Joeys/Shore lads were demolishing the spread the lovely Shore mums had presented. In the corner huddled a couple of likely lads who had no right to be there. They weren’t 1st XV or 2nd XV players but interlopers from the lower teams. These two lads were mates and had been for years and this was their only chance to taste some of the serious Shore hospitality. The sneaky duo was spotted by the imposing figure of “Jika” Travers, Headmaster of Shore who shuffled towards these two. We stuffed whatever goodies we had into blazer pockets and hoped for the best. Here is my best recollection.

Jika asked who we were. I explained we were part of the support crew for the senior teams. I lied through my teeth but I hoped that Jika would believe a good Catholic boy. He gave me a curious look, followed by a sly grin that spread across his face. Firstly, he was thrilled to hear that a Joeys lad and Shore boy were best friends, even more so that we had first met on a rugby field. Tim then explained how it all happened (that’s for another story) but rest assured Jika was impressed that boys from completely different schools, faiths and back grounds could maintain their mateship. Jika then went quiet as he was thinking and then he told me this story about his Joeys “mate”

In his early days at Shore as Headmaster he told us he had encouraged every master to take a rugby team. He himself took on a lower grade Under 14 team to set an example. Even though he had won a blue from Oxford in rugby and had captained the Oxford team, he admitted that his coaching needed some support. He just wasn’t getting through to the team. So, on one windswept afternoon in 1957 Jika found himself at Hunters Hill playing at the Park. His team were being thoroughly thrashed in the first half. He said it seemed that there 18 players on field for Joeys as support play was incredible. They simply didn’t let the ball die. At half time his bedraggled players slowly marched to the him and sat forlorn on the dry Hunters Hill turf. He admitted he knew nothing about lifting their spirits but he soon caught the eye of a wizened old man with white wispy hair poking out from beneath his hat.

He asked Jika if he could have a talk to the boys. Jika complied and allowed the old man to take the reigns. “Stand up,” he commanded. The Shore boys jumped to their feet. He called them all in close. In a soft but stern voice he spoke of nothing more than the spirit of Shore. “Play for your jumper, your school, your mother and family, but most of all, play for your mates beside you.” Other words were said about not giving the Joeboys time but to swarm like seagulls at the beach but those first few stuck with Jika the most. The second half began. In the movies you would expect the team to come back and win. This is not that type of movie. In this feature film, Shore held Joeys scoreless in the second half. A victory of sorts that the coach revelled in. He turned to thank the old man for his inspirational words but he had vanished.

Later in the afternoon Jika was at the main game. It was his first Joeys experience as Headmaster and he was most moved by the level of support for their team. Jika was also most impressed with the level of hospitality shown by the Joeys community. It was at this reception he ran into the small old man. The Joeys headmaster introduced him to Br. Henry, winner of 24 1st XV titles, a legend in Australian rugby. In the following years he and Br Henry became firm friends. They would sit and watch games together, not just the main game. He said he would love to walk around Northbridge or Hunters Hill with his little mate, encouraging the boys. Over time when Br Henry became frail and weakening, Jikk would visit his good friend in hospital and then a hospice. When Brother Henry passed away his funeral was held in the College chapel. Sitting close to the front was Mr Travers along with the Shore school captain and the captain of the 1st XV. No other AAGPS school Headmaster was present.

Jika smiled at the end of that just like he had rediscovered a long-forgotten memory. He asked us to always remember that rugby teaches you more about life than any other game. He told us to always respect your opposition because without them there would be no game. Finally, he said he was giving us one more minute to fill our pockets before he had to “do his day job”. Tim and I grabbed a few lamingtons and scooted off. I never spoke to Jika again. But to think this giant of Education, war service and sport, willingly gave his time to couple of lads who were pinching cakes will always stay with me.

Basil, you were a good man.
Just gold Joker. Pure Gold.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Loving these. Newington have been putting them out now Kings.

What year is the Kings 8 in? He’s a really talented player. Technically sound but also has that genuine athlete ability.