• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
Back in 1998 the ABC decided to fill in a blank weekend of Shute Shield coverage with a AAGPS game. It was a no brainer so they choose Joeys v Riverview which was to be the big game then. The broadcast worked well (I watched from Perisher top station) and it was well received. What wasn't though was the constant highlighting of students which sort of goes against what Joeys and the swamp monsters were about. (St Joseph's 31 defeated St Ignatius 0) The boy in particular focus was Peter Playford and Joeys did not like it. As Brother Henry said, "Joeys does not make champion players, they make champion teams".

The ABC did it again with Joeys v Kings in 2002 with Kings coming away with a good win that day securing the premiership as champions. Again the sticking point was the ABC insistence to "pump up" players. In the 2002 AAGPS Headmasters meeting and the AAGPS Sportsmasters meeting the decision was taken that school rugby is for the schools and if people want to watch then come and join the community. To help the country families, in 2012 Joeys were the first school to introduce Joeys Rugby on twitter which has been a great success as it JUST REPORTS SCORES and does not promote players. The 2018 SIC v SJC game that was streamed was because of a major fundraising effort you will recall. Cluch jumped in when the the pandemic hit which made for very weird viewing as there was next to nothing crowd noise. Imagine the noise from the swamp if fans were allowed there in 2020 with this incredible finish after the bell.

Joker, wasn't it Kings v Joeys in 98? I also remember that they could not interview the players post match.

Rudderless

Vay Wilson (31)
1st XV Scores
Barker 28 d Riverview 14
Knox 34 d Joeys 33
Shore 26 d Oakhill 12
Scots 80 d Stannies 22
Newington 33 d Waverley 10

2nd XV Scores
Riverview 24 d Barker 7
Joeys 35 d Knox 7
Shore 17 d Oakhill 5
Scots 19 drew Pius 1sts 19
Newington 14 d Waverley 5

3rd XV Scores
Shore 19 d Oakhill 7
Riverview 4ths 24 d High 1sts 14
Scots 24 d Stannies 2nds 14
Newington 40 d Waverley 0
St Gregs !st 15 d Joeys 10
More to come...

INP
To add to 3rd XV Scores

St Aloysius 10 d Syd Grammar 7
Kinross 42 d TAS 0

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
3rd XV Report - Trial 1

Joeys
The match at Hunters Hill against Gregs 1st XV was excellent preparation for the season. Even though Joeys lost 10-15, it was two tries each and only a conversion and penalty separated the teams. Gregs have two huge locks and plenty of speed out wide that really tested the Joeys defence. Joeys are off to Oakhill next week and that will be an interesting match.

Riverview
The reported 59-5 win against Barker goes to show that the defending premiers mean business this year and are off to a strong start. Barker have struggled with depth in recent times even though their 1sts are generally very strong. Riverview 3rds shouldn't have too much trouble with Waverley next week if the Newington result is any indication.

Scots
A good result at Bellevue Hill defeating Stannies 2nds by 24-14. Scots can be contenders this year - they have shown promise in previous years but havent won the 3rd XV competition since 2014. Next week they play a trial against defending co-premiers Kings at North Parramatta so that should be an excellent indication of their prospects.

Shore
A good 19-7 win over Oakhill was an excellent start to the season for Shore 3rd XV. They play Knox away next weekand would be favoured to win that also.

Grammar
A close 7-10 loss to St Aloysius 1st XV is not a bad result for Grammar, with St Aloyisius improving in recent seasons, however Aloyisius recently lost to Pius so I would like to see a few more Grammar results to indicate where they are this year. They travel to Kinross next week and that should be a good match up after Kinross demolished TAS.

TAS
An opening defeat for TAS by 0-42 at the hands of Kinross would not be the way that TAS wanted to open the season. Still it's early days and there's a bit of time for TAS to build some form for the season.

High
A 14-24 loss to Riverview 4ths is not a bad start to the season for the revitalised High 1st XV. Reports are that they will be stronger this year than recent seasons and that's good news. They play Newington next week who are coming off a big win at Waverley so that should be interesting.

Kings
I did not see a Kings 3rd XV result yesterday with their 1st XV playing Eastwood but I am sure they will be in good form and ready to take on Scots next week.

Regards
INP

Bigmac75

Bob McCowan (2)
3rd XV Report - Trial 1

Joeys
The match at Hunters Hill against Gregs 1st XV was excellent preparation for the season. Even though Joeys lost 10-15, it was two tries each and only a conversion and penalty separated the teams. Gregs have two huge locks and plenty of speed out wide that really tested the Joeys defence. Joeys are off to Oakhill next week and that will be an interesting match.

Riverview
The reported 59-5 win against Barker goes to show that the defending premiers mean business this year and are off to a strong start. Barker have struggled with depth in recent times even though their 1sts are generally very strong. Riverview 3rds shouldn't have too much trouble with Waverley next week if the Newington result is any indication.

Scots
A good result at Bellevue Hill defeating Stannies 2nds by 24-14. Scots can be contenders this year - they have shown promise in previous years but havent won the 3rd XV competition since 2014. Next week they play a trial against defending co-premiers Kings at North Parramatta so that should be an excellent indication of their prospects.

Shore
A good 19-7 win over Oakhill was an excellent start to the season for Shore 3rd XV. They play Knox away next weekand would be favoured to win that also.

Grammar
A close 7-10 loss to St Aloysius 1st XV is not a bad result for Grammar, with St Aloyisius improving in recent seasons, however Aloyisius recently lost to Pius so I would like to see a few more Grammar results to indicate where they are this year. They travel to Kinross next week and that should be a good match up after Kinross demolished TAS.

TAS
An opening defeat for TAS by 0-42 at the hands of Kinross would not be the way that TAS wanted to open the season. Still it's early days and there's a bit of time for TAS to build some form for the season.

High
A 14-24 loss to Riverview 4ths is not a bad start to the season for the revitalised High 1st XV. Reports are that they will be stronger this year than recent seasons and that's good news. They play Newington next week who are coming off a big win at Waverley so that should be interesting.

Kings
I did not see a Kings 3rd XV result yesterday with their 1st XV playing Eastwood but I am sure they will be in good form and ready to take on Scots next week.

Regards
INP
Thanks for the update

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Joker, wasn't it Kings v Joeys in 98? I also remember that they could not interview the players post match.
Hey Subbies.
In that Kings v Joeys game I recall watching my mates son Jarrod Saffey playing.
The game was televised from Hunters Hill.
Jarrod was in the 1st XV in 2002 for this game.

The 1998 game was indeed Joeys v Kings....the College record states...
I had made an error earlier by stating it was Riverview

1682812792049.png

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
RESULTS WEEK 1 TIPPING

So how do the points get awarded?

1 for a draw
3 points for the win
5 points if the win is achieved between 1-5 points over your margin spread
10 points if you tip the exact margin
20 points if you tip a DRAW

Look at RugbyAu

He scored 26 points

5 for the Barker win (his tip was 1 point OVER the winning margin)
10 for the Shore game as he picked the winner with the EXACT margin
5 for the Kings game (his tip was 5 points OVER the winning margin and within the boundary set)
3 for the Scots win
3 for the Newington win

If you have any issues with the scores PLEASE let me know.

I will correct it as soon as possible.
I do make errors and I do appreciate the feedback.
A message works best please.

1682827113738.png

Last edited:

BoysfromtheBxW

Allen Oxlade (6)
RESULTS WEEK 1 TIPPING

So how do the points get awarded?

1 for a draw
3 points for the win
5 points if the win is achieved between 1-5 points over your margin spread
10 points if you tip the exact margin
20 points if you tip a DRAW

Look at RugbyAu

He scored 26 points

5 for the Barker win (his tip was 1 point OVER the winning margin)
10 for the Shore game as he picked the winner with the EXACT margin
5 for the Kings game (his tip was 5 points OVER the winning margin and within the boundary set)
3 for the Scots win
3 for the Newington win

If you have any issues with the scores PLEASE let me know.

I will correct it as soon as possible.
I do make errors and I do appreciate the feedback.
A message works best please.

View attachment 15813
joker i’m new to this so correct me if i’m wrong but i tipped riverview +5 so i get 3 points for the win. i tipped joeys so i get 0. i tipped shore +12 so i get 3 for the win and 5 more for being within 5 points which makes 11 points. i tipped kings which gives me 3 points which makes 14. i tipped scot’s and newington which makes 20. please tell me if this is wrong.
Yours truly BoysFromTheBxW

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
joker i’m new to this so correct me if i’m wrong but i tipped riverview +5 so i get 3 points for the win. i tipped joeys so i get 0. i tipped shore +12 so i get 3 for the win and 5 more for being within 5 points which makes 11 points. i tipped kings which gives me 3 points which makes 14. i tipped scot’s and newington which makes 20. please tell me if this is wrong.
Yours truly BoysFromTheBxW
Your tips were

1682827229680.png

View lost 0 points
Joeys lost 0 points
Shore won by 12 BUT this was short of the margin spread. If you picked +15, +16, +17, +18 or +19 you would get 5 points. Under is just 3
Kings won 3
Scots won 3
Newington won 3

Total- 12.

The spread works like this.

There were once five tippers from Sydney’s north shore. They gave me their tips for the weekend on this game Shore v Scots at Stirling Bridge.
Final score

Shore 32 Scots 0 (Shore wins +32)

NameTheir tipPoints awarded
BiffShore +283 (His tip won but his tip was UNDER the points margin)
TaddShore +3210 (exact margin)
SterlingShore +345 (he was over and within 5 points margin spread)
MagnusShore +393 (his predicted margin was beyond the 5 point margin spread)
ChadDRAW0 (This is the hardest and no one has done this)

Hope this helps. Please message again if you have questions

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting week of games.

Knox getting the W over Joeys might bring out the best in Shore. I think over the course of the game Knox will squeeze it out. Clearly got some fitness to come over the top of a Joeys team even with a lot of subs.

Newington v Barker could be the pick of the games IMO. Newington travelling well and Barker have some size and potential ability. Usually what you say about a Waverly team. Barometer game for many watching as well.

Oakhill v Joeys: Hard to judge this. Head automatically goes to a Joeys blow out but it's old school thinking by hearing the name Oakhill but they are a different program now. I expect Joeys to get it done relatively well.

Riverview v Waverly: Hard to see a clear favourite into this one as I haven't seen anything of Waverly. I'll say View seem fitter this year and if they can stay disciplined might get it in a close one. I'm one-eyed here and I know it.

Kings v Scots: My other option for game of the week but it could be more of a trial than New v Barker. Both coming off big wins against questionable opposition standard.

@Joker
Knox + 14
Newington + 10
Joeys + 20
Riverview + 7
Kings + 7

Status
Not open for further replies.