• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Round 4: Canberra Vikings v Western Sydney Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If all the rugby media guys were great analysts or loved analysis, they'd be coaches.

There's people in all sorts of industries that just 'have a knack for it' without actually having deep understanding the theory.

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
I've really been talking up Staniforth lately, but damn.. how many tackles did he hold up or nearly hold up in the first half?

McInerney very impressive in the second half.
Staniforth's form has been great and he's playing the sort of game that looks like the form will transfer to super rugby. Will be very interesting to see what the brumbies do with him next year, with test players in front of him in all his positions. Wonder if he is worth a look at 8

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^ Not enough pace for 8 imo. Think he will spend another year covering 5 and 6 off the bench, but has the potential to surpass Enever as first choice reserve or injury replacement.

Indicative of some of the recruitment failures at the Brumbies. Very strong in some spots and thin ice in others. Next year could well be deficient at No 7, No 10, No 12 and No 15. But we'll top the Super Rugby comp again for rolling maul tries.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^^^ Not enough pace for 8 imo. Think he will spend another year covering 5 and 6 off the bench, but has the potential to surpass Enever as first choice reserve or injury replacement.

If you agree with the requirements for a world class 8 that some on this site would want, then you'd put him straight into the Wallabies. He's tall and big, so he must be a good 8. I myself want to see him demonstrate the necessary football skills.

Forgetting the arguments about numbers on backs, who are the best seven players at the Brumbies in spots 4-8? Pick them and then see if you have all the skillset covered. If not, tweak it a bit till you do. As long as you have all the skills sort-of covered (not completely mind you, perfection is imaginary) then pick the best players.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I

Forgetting the arguments about numbers on backs, who are the best seven players at the Brumbies in spots 4-8? Pick them and then see if you have all the skillset covered. If not, tweak it a bit till you do. As long as you have all the skills sort-of covered (not completely mind you, perfection is imaginary) then pick the best players.

Not sure if that's an invitation Hawko, or merely a hypothetical.

Without going into detail, I believe the Brumbies will have all the skill sets covered except for No 7 next year. Maybe No 8 is looking a bit thin also, but I wouldn't personally look to play Tom there.

I have real reservations about Jarrad Butler's abilities at either 7 or 8. He is not a fetcher, which I think is still a requirement of a No 7, and he doesn't have the ball running impact I'd like to see in a No 8. We will have Chris Alcock for 2017 to fill the No 7 spot, and while he does a good job, I would have rather had someone like Rowen Perry back (where he belongs). In any case, backup at the No 7 spot is looking very thin for next year.

Personally, I'd persevere with Jordan Smiler at No 8 unless someone in the JID comp, like OJ Noa or Rocky Iahiloa (spelling?), continues to step up and force his way in.

But the locks and No 6 spots are well catered for, perhaps over-catered. Carter/Arnold/Enever/Staniforth at lock, and Fardy/Smiler/Staniforth at 6. Someone is going to miss out unless injury comes into play.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if that's an invitation Hawko, or merely a hypothetical.

Without going into detail, I believe the Brumbies will have all the skill sets covered except for No 7 next year. Maybe No 8 is looking a bit thin also, but I wouldn't personally look to play Tom there.

I have real reservations about Jarrad Butler's abilities at either 7 or 8. He is not a fetcher, which I think is still a requirement of a No 7, and he doesn't have the ball running impact I'd like to see in a No 8. We will have Chris Alcock for 2017 to fill the No 7 spot, and while he does a good job, I would have rather had someone like Rowen Perry back (where he belongs). In any case, backup at the No 7 spot is looking very thin for next year.

Personally, I'd persevere with Jordan Smiler at No 8 unless someone in the JID comp, like OJ Noa or Rocky Iahiloa (spelling?), continues to step up and force his way in.

But the locks and No 6 spots are well catered for, perhaps over-catered. Carter/Arnold/Enever/Staniforth at lock, and Fardy/Smiler/Staniforth at 6. Someone is going to miss out unless injury comes into play.

I doubt Noa is going to get a contract after the Brumbies signed Hyne, Fasokilea and Valetini.........

Butler has been excellent for the Brumbies in the past filling in at 7 so I have no qualms about him playing there...........

The Brumbies are less in need of a fetcher than players who can provide some go forward........ Vaea was a big loss.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Slim, I asked a question about Fakosolea on the Brumbies 2017 thread. Could he be a potential starting No 8 next year, filling the role of the go-forward ball runner?

Wilson

Phil Kearns (64)
He's a definite option and I'm sure that's what they signed him for with vaea gone, but he may be a bit of a gamble to start first up so it depends how risk adverse they're feeling. Plenty of pay off if it comes off though.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^ What risks are you referring to? Limitations on his skill levels? Time to fit into the Brumbies' game plan? Lack of fitness? Carrying injuries? Something else?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Probably that he's played 4 Super Rugby games in 1 and a half seasons since debuting and has been injured most of the remaining time.

He's certainly got promise but as yet is largely untested.

Status
Not open for further replies.