• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Wanderers have also picked up Chris Stratton and Lewie Catt from Hamilton's premiership side this year according to NBN last week.

rickety knees

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ok so a few big names going to the two blues....what about the comings and goings at the other clubs ?

Any word on the structure of the competition - do you think Easts will be back or will there be a merger or will someone drop down a division to make way ? Interesting times ahead.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
NHRU website says comp starts April 6 and ends September 14, which would be an 18 round competition, same as this year, designed for 10 teams. If Easts came in, an 11 team comp would need to run 22 rounds, so I'm not sure if there's an option time-wise to extend the season by those 4 rounds.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The comments from some of the past herald articles would indicate to me that a merger between the Tahs & Easts would be unlikely. Easts should be in the comp next year, NHRU should just bite the bullet & expand the comp to 11 teams.

With Wade going to the two blues it makes me wonder if Kevill is tempted to go back & try again.

rickety knees

Allen Oxlade (6)
Im not so sure expanding the comp to 11 is the better option AS. The NHRU have the balance of premier clubs and number of grades about right. I fear that introducing an 11th club into the mix will really dilute the quality of the comp. In 2007 and 2008 there were 11 teams and the competition went for an extra month longer that what it does now. Most clubs do not have the man power of Players, Coaches, Officials and Volunteers to run the season for an extra month, it is also when you will see scores of 100+ registered.

I dont think Wade has gone to the two blues just yet but i would doubt Kevill would try again either. He has already left Wanderers twice...would they really want him back a 3rd time ?

Anyway its nice to be able and have some good open and honest discussions in here rather than the rubbish that gets plastered all over the herald forum.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
You do raise a good point Rickety about depth & quality of the comp potentially being reduced due to having 11 teams. I guess from me the better way to put it is I hope they aren't doing this just to keep a club like Easts out. It will be interesting. Uni has exemptions because it is a University I believe. Singleton is not a team I'd like to see dropped as they are the furthest western team in the premier comp. The merging of a couple of Newcastle area based clubs seems the likely option to fit everyone in but whether individual clubs are prepared to do that I'm unsure.

I think given how good a player Kevill is I reckon the two blues would let him come back even if some people have their noses out of joint about it. He had disagreements with the way the then Wanderers coach was going about things I believe, so with Louden in charge now things could be different.

The Herald sometimes provides some good informative comments but you do need to go through a fair bit of dribble to get to them. I have made a few comments on Rugby related articles on the Herald under a different name but I tend to sit back & read more than contribute there. I will say this though, the Rugby articles on the Herald are often the most commented on which is a good thing at least. You're right though about the difficultly to have a decent discussion there cause a lot of the time club bias really rules there.

rickety knees

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unfortunately under the current competition structure of Premier 1,2,3 Colts - 1st Div A+B and C Grade I don't believe there is the depth to safely accommodate another Premier Club in the region. However i could see it being a possibility if they joined forces with one of the Cooks Hill - Griffins clubs or dare i say it joined up with the Tahs (probably not likely either).

We already have Hamilton, Waratah, Wanderers, Merewether, Uni in the immediate area. Add Southern Beaches and Lake Macquarie and you have 7 of the 10 premier clubs within a radius of 20km's.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Here is the Herald write up previewing mens Premier 1:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1407712/nhru-season-preview/?cs=306
I can't disagree too much with James' opinion - but injuries, late recruits, & as I've always been told "clubs not saying too much about who they've really got lined up to play" could all change things. On the face of the info at hand I think the article is a good assessment though.

Men's & women's comps start this weekend.

This article is on the new Roos Premier 1 coach:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1407715/dunnett-aiming-to-put-stamp-on-roos/?cs=306

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
http://www.portprint.com.au/rugbynews2013issue2/

Program for this week has all the news from round 1 and for round 2.

Main stories from round 1:
- Easts return to the comp with a win
- Waratah impressive in P1 but struggle in lower grades
- Lake Mac push Merewether
- Uni push Hamilton
- Beaches edge out Wanderers

Round 2's match of the day is Hamilton vs Wanderers, which is always a big local derby, but has a bit of extra spice this time around with two Hawks leaving for Wanderers over the off season and now returning to their old home ground, as NBN explains: http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2013/04/12/hawks-confident-ahead-of-clash-with-the-two-blues/

The other most intriguing game this round is the second local derby, between Southern Beaches and Lake Macquarie, who should both be pushing for the finals this season.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Premier 1 Men Lake Mac over Sth Beaches a bit of an upset but certainly the upset of the round has to go to Uni beating Easts in all 4 premier grades. Great effort from the Uni boys. I was not at any games (was watching Black Caviar at Randwick) but the Herald reported 3 sin bins for Easts - not good in only the early rounds. Great to hear Hamilton beat Wanderers too ;) - Louden has his work cut out for him.

In the women's first round last week Wanderers were pushed all the way by the Greens who were up 5-0 for most of the match but they fatigued later in the game & Wanderers came back to win 15-5. Lake Mac returned to the comp with a bang beating a very different Uni side 44-19. Uni were missing 3 representative players but the Roos would have to be very happy with that win.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ladies Day at the Hawks tomorrow! $30 gets food, drinks, etc best be there before 1pm. I'm looking forward to catching up with some Hamilton girls - we may not be playing this year but tomorrow will be about the drinks & hopefully some entertaining footy from the Hawks & Blacks boys.

The main comment I'd make regarding the men's premier comp thus far is to watch out for Waratah in premier 1 who beat Merewether 27-0 (although the Greens had a few out this was an impressive result). Easts got belted by the two blues but have been experiencing injury problems early in the year.

On Fridays James Gardiner does his live chat on the Newcastle Herald (I believe at 1pm, check it out if you can).

A bit of an update on the Women's comp:

Wanderers, Greens, & Lake Mac have all been competitive. Lake Mac went down to Wanderers only 15-7 RD2 which is quite a result for their 1st year back in some time. Uni have struggled but I've seen on their team sheets that there are a few top line players currently not playing yet - perhaps saving up for a charge later in the season?

To amend one of my earlier comments about women's player numbers I can now confirm it was 14 players rather than 10 that left Uni but they gained a good number of school girls by the looks of it. Lake Mac gained 3-4 players from Hamilton (former Roos players) & about 3 players from Uni (mainly back line). Greens gained 2-3 former Uni players - not 1. The Uni player that was to come to Hamilton ended up at Wanderers.

Hamilton had x1 player gone due to pregnancy, x1 due to retirement, x2 having a year off due to long term injury, x2 to overseas temporary travel, x3-4 back to the Roos, & about x3 left due to moving out of Newcastle. There were enough players for Hamilton that wanted to play but were unable due to those injury/moving/travel issues - that was & is the painful reality. The 8 or so Hamilton players that wanted to play this year have filtered into the 4 clubs or as in my case - are not playing. All players seem keen to head back to Hamilton if the team returns next year. Recruitment strategy is where the Harps are at now & 7's at Byron in Oct. I've been training the house down personally already in prep for next year so we better have a team!!!

I will keep an eye on the events tomorrow at Passmore & report on how the boys go.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I just saw an advert for the NHRU on one of channel 9s digital channel (Newcastle). Missed what it was for, but I'm sure it was for the RU.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
We are in your debt, pT, for sharing that with us.
Always want to help.

Having re-read my post I missed off the reason I posted. I meant to ask why/what the NHRU were advertising.

Perhaps I should just delete it...... Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.