• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Awful Twoways pass cost that droppie.

Bay news on Read too. He may need a couple weeks on the sideline.

Damn lucky call that the droppie was touched.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
AB's get the drop goal & will win the test match. Based on points they get the win. Based on heart & performance, that gong goes to Ireland.

Absolutely gutted for Ireland. One of those 'the team that deserved it lost it' type games.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lucky win in the end to the ABs.

The Wobs need to learn how to do that to stop losses like to Scotland in the future.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How Disappointing for Ireland but would have been another tragedy for Christchurch if the 100 & whatever year streak was broken there.

One dropped pass late on from Ireland and the AB's escape.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
First off let me say I'm under no illusions that Ireland are a better team than the AB, but tonight we were better than them. Should have won that game. Well done to NZ for pulling the win out at the end but they were hanging on for a lot of the 2nd 40.

Great performance from a lot of Irish player, O'Brien and Healy were immense, Heaslip is returning to the form that won him so many plaudits, Kearney was much better than last week. Those that said BOD is finished at test level have engaged early once more. To be out for 6 months and produce that performance was amazing.

We outplayed NZ for a lot of the game, I'll leave complaints about the referring to other as I think Owens is a pretty good ref and I've never been a sore loser. Errors cost us a historic win, hope we really have a go next week. At least the young guys who came through on this tour now know they can compete and at time overmatch the best in the world.

The relative position of the two teams falls somewhere between last week and this. As much as NZ were on fire last week, Ireland were intense, physical and the number of line break speaks to the fact that it wasn't just grunt.

I still await our first win but I take heart from the performance, We need to continue our transformation and get closer to producing what Leinster do so often but in green. For any Aus fans who watch this week and last you can probably see why I have a lot of sympathy for the Wallabies fans when your team are so inconsistent.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A huge huge improvement from Ireland. I would have to say that is the best I have ever seen them play.

Two points of foul play were not adjudicated on IMO:-
1) In the fourth or fifth ruck was a perfect example of Scarfman's thread (the one targetting McCaw). I couldn't identify the Irishman but the victim was Adam Thompson. Bound around the head and neck with the defending player twisting and rolling to the side. This has to be stopped. It is EXTREMELY dangerous play, if the player getting "cleaned" out in such a fashion is trapped so they cannot pivot it can only result in a broken neck. I would like to see a Red card for any such infringements.
2) McCaw leading with the knees into the back of the Irish 12. When I was a young fella a friend of my brother losta kidney in exactly this fashion. McCaw was making no effort to attack the ball as the replay showed he was focused on the defender, in exactly the same way Dagg was when he got the card. Again at least a yellow card and perhaps a red.

I think the Irish would rightly feel agreived about the penalty that relieved the pressure for the alleged "whip" wheel in the scrum. They were clearly dominant and in any event the AB 19 was unbound and pushing directly against the Irish prop which was the first offence and should have been penalised first. I think the Ref choked a bit and didn't want to be seen to determine the outcome, which he did with that penalty. Overall Owens had a very good performance, but I would like to see attention to the dangerous foul play outlined above and a focus (by all refs) on offside players at the rucks and the scrum.

Bad Luck Ireland.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Shocking stuff from us, great play by Ireland.

Still, the way we kept our composure in the last few minutes and won was very All Black like.

Has anyone seen McCaw play worse?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Now Ireland know how we feel. Does anyone else think that was a deliberate knee in the back from Sir Ritchie?

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
As a staunch All Blacks supporter it is always gut wrenching to watch Brian O'Driscoll with that all too familiar look of disappointment. Tonight's made ever worse by the fact that Ireland were perhaps the more deserving of victory. I can never understand the foolishness of so many people writing off sides after an impressive AB display. History has shown that thumping's are followed by battles. Journalists, bookmakers, fans (AB supporters), never learn.

The Irish today were spirited, courageous and fierce. They weren't afraid to play, and they did it well. Once Read was gone, a huge loss, they dominated the scrums. Thomson is not a pusher, McCaw is not an 8, and Sam Cane, like the others, is a detacher. They were unlucky to get pinged for wheeling. In open play, they weren't afraid to spread the ball and protected it well. They played nice and flat and hit the ball at pace. They went toe-to-toe.

Conversely, Richie summed up the AB's pretty well, too many mistakes and moments of ill discipline. Our offence in the second half was effectively strangled and did not look after the ball, well done Ireland. Julian Savea didn't touch the ball once in the second half. It should not be forgotten however that they defend like champions, they scrap, slow the ball, organize and front up and tackle when needed. Today wasn't a show, it was a slog, a test match. They showed their composure. Richie, while playing poorly himself, calmed and lead the team. As ever, ruthless at the end.

Well done Ireland, you'll get their one day. Sadly, I don't think BOD will. Can Ireland carry their intensity into next weekend? Doubtful. Although I hope they do.

McCaw is having a Poor game by his standards, and hasn't been impressive this year so far. Do you think he could become a Smit/Gregan style captain liability?

He is well on his way, he is playing poorly. His foul play is IMO getting worse. His leadership is invaluable but it will not be long. Sam Cane played very well tonight.

That was a shocking pass back to Dan.

That pass should have proved costly if not for the lucky circumstances to follow. Aaron Smith wasn't slowing down, shouldn't have brought him off. Hansen will soon have to trust him to have the composure to make the right decision late on.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It was certainly a gutsy performance by Ireland but I do not think we were even close to being the better team. Apart from the scrum dominance towards the end I did not think there was a single area of the game where we dominated NZ in defence or attack. NZ's execution was not nearly as good as last week (what was up with McCaw's hands) and this was partly due to Ireland upsetting their rhythm - but I think NZ were completely bemused by some inexplicable refereeing.

I wouldn't be a big fan of obstructing at the side of the ruck but it seems to be part of the game. A penalty against Read for taking exception to a third attempted clean out when he was bound behind the advantage line to the NZ side of the ruckwas bizarre. Three of the clearest penalties for entering the offside of a static ruck you are ever likely to see. I also don't agree that McCaw or Dagg should have been penalised - D'Arcy clearly obstructed McCaw's run. McCaw may have milked it but it should have been a penalty to NZ. Dagg's feet had left the ground before Rob kicked it - no penalty, no card.

Another 3 points awarded against Adam Thompson when he was knocked senseless - sorry not fair, should have changed the decision to a scrum. Another 3 for NZ offside after the ball came out of a ruck and then was pulled back in by an Irish player on the ground. Knocks forward in the lead up to the first try?

Would I have got mileage from my kiwi mates had Ireland won - absolutely. Deep down would it have been deserved - no.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Dagg's feet had left the ground before Rob kicked it - no penalty, no card.

Disagree, he jumped with shoulders first straight into the man. No attempt at either chargedown or tackle. YC good call IMO. Brain explosion from Dagg

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Forgot to add that scrum penalty for wheeling was wrong. Directly resulted in loss. Thought Owens was good apart from that and non send off for knee in back from Richie.

Status
Not open for further replies.