• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
To be clear my reason for picking Swinton isn’t that he has mongrel. I see him as the only option that ticks all the boxes I think we need to balance the backrow. All of the other options have shortcomings in particular areas.

The fact that he has ‘mongrel’ is less important to me then the fact that he is 112 kgs, has good lineout stats, has a sound work rate.
Yep, he’s the most complete 6 in terms of size and setpiece skills. Valetini has the physical attributes but isn’t the same lineout target, Wright has the lineout skills but is a hair too small (he may yet add bulk).

I must admit, I was initially against Swinton being in the squad but you’ve made some good arguments for his inclusion in the starting side.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
To be clear my reason for picking Swinton isn’t that he has mongrel. I see him as the only option that ticks all the boxes I think we need to balance the backrow. All of the other options have shortcomings in particular areas.

The fact that he has ‘mongrel’ is less important to me then the fact that he is 112 kgs, has good lineout stats, has a sound work rate.
You're right, I did misjudge your reasoning. But apart from weight, I think Wright offers more in work rate and line out ability. Just my opinion:)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - I do too. And I do wonder whether his better accuracy and work rate make up for the lack of size. Someone else suggested they think Wright could be our Fardy equivalent. I won’t be either surprised or disappointed if I am wrong and it is indeed one of the others.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just remember if Liam Wright bulks up to some mythical number needed to be a international six his lineout work will probably suffer.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BR - one really interesting thing I think your post throws up - if/when Lolesio gets a run in the 10 jersey, would be be better served with the experience of White inside, To’omua outside & DHP at the back of do you pick him with Powell, Simone & Banks.

I don’t think there is any chance you go with Powell, Lolesio, Simone & Banks (as a collective) against the ABs - but you might look at them (with Wright on the wing who may or may not be in the test team anyway) against Argentina. At the very least you couldn’t argue it’s not a selection of players in form.

TSR, don't read my post as being my selections for Bledisloe 1. My point, which might not have been clear, was that another team made up with players who missed your starting team could contain up to ten players who had just won the primary rugby competition in the country. Your team had only two Brumbies in it. Do you really think that winning SRAu isn't the sort of form necessary to take into a test match?

I will be shocked if the first test side only contains two Brumbies in the starting XV. Specifically, I expect to see Folau Fainga'a and Tom Wright in the side and possibly AAA to start over TT, with Valetini, White, Banks well and truly under consideration.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
TSR, don't read my post as being my selections for Bledisloe 1. My point, which might not have been clear, was that another team made up with players who missed your starting team could contain up to ten players who had just won the primary rugby competition in the country. Your team had only two Brumbies in it. Do you really think that winning SRAu isn't the sort of form necessary to take into a test match?

I will be shocked if the first test side only contains two Brumbies in the starting XV. Specifically, I expect to see Folau Fainga'a and Tom Wright in the side and possibly AAA to start over TT, with Valetini, White, Banks well and truly under consideration.
It is interesting isn't it. Few of the Brumbies seem to stand out individually but the team was clearly the best overall.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)

I get where you are coming from but wouldn't Ned tick more boxes for this kind of 6? Slightly bigger, better in the lineout and higher work rate? Also Swinton is listed at 108kg and looking at him, I'd be a little bit surprised if he is that heavy. He goes hard in defense but is not a good carrier at all at this stage as well.

I don't think either would be great by the way, we just don't have that perfect 6 at the moment unfortunately.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I think I understood the point you made. But I personally think when it comes to a 1 on 1 choice for a lot of those spots the Brumbies guys are going to miss out or be on the bench. Tom Wright v Daugunu is the closest in my view and there are some clear arguments for White to be the starting half. That will come down to a strategic decision by Rennie. I think the 2 jersey is very up in the air and I’d guess performances at training will decide the spot, which we obviously aren’t privy to. The rest I disagree with you on, but we’ll see.

As an aside, my post about picking Powell et al as a combo was ill-conceived in hindsight. It’s just not realistic that they will unnecessarily start a test with that many rookies together in the halves. If Lolesio is introduced, and I think he will be, the obvious method is to bring him off the bench. I guess I was just looking at the virtue of combination.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I get where you are coming from but wouldn't Ned tick more boxes for this kind of 6? Slightly bigger, better in the lineout and higher work rate? Also Swinton is listed at 108kg and looking at him, I'd be a little bit surprised if he is that heavy. He goes hard in defense but is not a good carrier at all at this stage as well.

I don't think either would be great by the way, we just don't have that perfect 6 at the moment unfortunately.
I guess it depends where you look for Swinton’s weight. But he does play a more physical game then Wright. I do think Hanigan would be consider too.

The alternate strategy - which I’d love but I’m not sure is the best at the moment - is Wright at 6 & Wilson at 8 with Samu back on the bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paul Cully's team in the Nine rags......... not a bad effort:

Paul Cully's Wallabies team to face New Zealand on Sunday

1. Scott Sio, 2. Folau Fainga’a, 3. Taniela Tupou, 4. Matt Philip, 5. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, 6. Pete Samu, 7. Michael Hooper, 8. Harry Wilson, 9. Nic White, 10. James O’Connor, 11. Tom Wright, 12. Matt To'omua, 13. Jordan Petaia, 14. Marika Koroibete, 15. Tom Banks.
Reserves: 16. Jordan Uelese, 17. James Slipper, 18. Allan Ala'alatoa, 19. Rob Simmons 20. Liam Wright, 21. Tate McDermott, 22. Hunter Paisami, 23. Reece Hodge.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
I won't be surprised to see relatively few Brumbies picked, and not because of Cheika-era parochialism. On a head to head basis, I don't think the Brumbies have that many of the best players in the country. They won the comp primarily on the basis of good strategy and - crucially - a VERY strong bench. A good crop of reserves might win you titles, but it's not going to get you into rep teams.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Paul Cully's team in the Nine rags... not a bad effort:
I'm fine with that team except for Banks. He does not fill me with confidence. His appearances in Gold have left a lot to be desired and the bloke didn't have a particularly good super season anyway (in probably the easiest season in a long time to make Aus #15 yours). He'd be picked on promise alone.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Yep, he’s the most complete 6 in terms of size and setpiece skills. Valetini has the physical attributes but isn’t the same lineout target, Wright has the lineout skills but is a hair too small (he may yet add bulk).

I must admit, I was initially against Swinton being in the squad but you’ve made some good arguments for his inclusion in the starting side.

I think Swinton would've been a perfect fit for Cheika's Wallabies. It is my sincere hope that Rennie will guide us into a new era in which players like Swinton are considered too dumb for the national side.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Paul Cully's team in the Nine rags... not a bad effort:

Pretty decent looking team. Id be happy with that. Cant argue with too many, especially with the reasoning he offers. Agree Banks over a fit DHP isnt the way id go, and Im still unsure of White starting over McDermott although both should be in the 23. Paisami on the bench, when you already have Hodge on the bench covering 13 for me isn't needed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
28K tix sold as of lunchtime today.

And to show there no justice here I am stuck here WOB ,and daughter giving me a call with nothing much to say, and just before she finishes "oh by the way, I in corporate box at Caketin next week, free Bledisloe rugby, along with free beer and food!!:mad: Geez where oh where is the fairness in life (though to be fair she does go to tests etc a fair bit)!

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I'll take a stab at a team which is a bit left field but hey could work

1. Sio
2. FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3. Thor
4. Simmons
5. Philips
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (He'd be our most experienced 6 in Aus right now correct ??? )
7. Hoops (C)
8. Samu (VC)
9. White
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. T. Wright
12. Simone
13. Petaia
14. Koro
15 .DHP

16. Uelese
17. Slipper
18. AAA
19. Wilson/L.Wright
20. Valetini
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio
23. Maddocks

No Bench Lock, but if one goes down then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) into the row and Valetini into 6 and later in the game bring on Wilson to open up the game. Lolesio to get some experience covering inside backs Maddocks to cover outside backs. Simone just as I think his got a good passing kicking game and think his had a massive season deserves a crack, could easily be To'omua swaping straight in there for safety but big body big defense big pass and a left foot boot.

Was thinking of Ned on the bench instead of Wilson/Wright but then though the reason for having LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 is he can cover the row so whats the point of a Hybrid 6/Lock on the bench.

And as much as I hate Simmons his had a fantastic season, is our most experienced lock and Im hoping that carries through.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Think Cully's team will be close to Rennie's.

Sio has copped a fair bit of flak here this year, but his drop in form coincided with injury/recovery. He's got stronger with more games under his belt. Suits the starting spot and Slipper is excellent cover. Scott just needs to watch what he does with his left arm.

Not sure we'll see Samu at 6. He's been selected as an 8. Why would Rennie ignore his selected 6s to put one of two only 8s in the 6 spot? Without disparaging Hooper, it just shows again how difficult it is to build a top class back row with MH in the 7 spot. Not his fault that the most physical options at 6 and 8 have some lineout deficiencies, but all bases could be covered with Wright, an excellent lineout jumper, in the 7 jersey.

Samu is more likely to play 8 with Wilson to make his debut from the bench.

I think the two wingers will be swapped - Wright in 14 and Koroibete in 11.

Simone might get the bench spot in front of Paisami. Hodge can cover 13 if needed, and if a later replacement is needed at 15, JOC (James O'Connor) can revert back there with MT taking over the 10 spot.

Banks is iffy, but like Sio has been getting stronger and playing better with m ore games under the belt. Worth a shot, but I wouldn't mind seeing Maddocks there either.

So, debuts for Wilson, McDermott, Simone, all off the bench, while Tom Wright gets to run on for his.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm fine with that team except for Banks. He does not fill me with confidence. His appearances in Gold have left a lot to be desired and the bloke didn't have a particularly good super season anyway (in probably the easiest season in a long time to make Aus #15 yours). He'd be picked on promise alone.
Has Banks ever played 15 for Australia? None of the options jump out at 15, I’d pick DHP but not too fussed if Banks is there.