• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

New Zealand vs Australia - Bledisloe 2, 24th August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is like the bride has found out on the honeymoon that the bridegroom is a chronic snorer.

I think that Link was keen to be seen to be doing something different from Dingo, by selecting form players, by taking a punt here or there on others, by advocating a running style of game plan. Maybe even against his better judgement.

Unfortunately he can only select from what is in front of him, and consequently he is getting the same results as the previous bloke who spoke in tongues.

It is a little disappointing, enough to make you cry even (hence the new avatar) but I say give Link until then end of TRC to start showing a real difference.

If we have to suffer this sort of performance on Spring Tour, then the Gaggerland Blowtorch should be figuratively applied to his gentleman's bits.

The funny thing is that Deans got a two year honeymoon period and people are already questioning Link's right to a one match period - deriding those that haven't critised Link already as biased?!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, first game under a new regime with half a dozen new caps against the best team of the world..........

Link didn't get the luxury of some tests against NH opposition to get the combinations working..........

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It's way too early to make any judgement whatsoever about his performance. Need at least 10 tests under his belt for that, so the earliest is after the spring tour.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
The Tui Beer ad guys are quick.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377072181308.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377072181308.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 349

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The funny thing is that Deans got a two year honeymoon period and people are already questioning Link's right to a one match period - deriding those that haven't critised Link already as biased?!

I would argue that Deans had an approximately 4 year long honeymoon that only began to seriously crack up upon the the RWC debacle, partly as the ARU relentlessly put out, and much of our gullible media (and many posters here it must be said) bought, the line hook, line and sinker that the 2008-2011 period was principally a conscious, cunningly planned (by Deans) 'development and investment' period that would sustain losses along the way and yet yield an apogee of great achievement at the 'central goal' of the RWC 2011 (implying that this was the big prize that would be seen to justify the disappointments that preceded it).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah, first game under a new regime with half a dozen new caps against the best team of the world....

Link didn't get the luxury of some tests against NH opposition to get the combinations working....

Indeed, and rightly Link is sounding a bit more measured now as he stepped off the plane in Wellington:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sportvideos/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503056&gal_cid=1503056&gallery_id=136352

He and the ARU way over-stoked the pre-Bled 1 optimism with all sorts of bold statements and inferences that exciting new attack patterns and cunning ploys would be evident in that match, new 'smart, creative' eras, etc....but little of that sadly was able to be delivered and it never should have been talked up like this IMO.

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes, the Wobs should leave their bold statements for the paddock. Win a few games before they start talking it up.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Even better, win a few games and the need to talk it up is gone.

Now, if only the Al Blacks would get with the program.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
All Blacks:

Tom Taylor to make his debut in the 10 jersey.

1. Tony Woodcock (99)
2. Andrew Hore (77)
3. Owen Franks (48)
4. Brodie Retallick (15)
5. Samuel Whitelock (42)
6. Steven Luatua (2)
7. Richie McCaw - captain (117)
8. Kieran Read (52)
9. Aaron Smith (16)
10. Tom Taylor *
11. Julian Savea (12)
12. Ma'a Nonu (80)
13. Conrad Smith (70)
14. Ben Smith (16)
15. Israel Dagg (29)
Reserves:
16. Dane Coles (6)
17. Wyatt Crockett (14)
18. Charlie Faumuina (8)
19. Jeremy Thrush (1)
20. Sam Cane (8)
21. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (5)
22. Colin Slade (10)
23. Charles Piutau (1)

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Is Messam's injury serious? Not that I think he's even slot back in.

Mealamu's Test career over?

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Zander,I not sure how bad Messam's injury is, although I suspect Shag would of been happy enough to keep Luatua anyway, but would certainly not surprise me if we don't see Kevvie anymore(apart from injury cover), think Coles and Hore will look after things, and apperently Coltman(Highlanders), Marshall (Chiefs) and Funnel (Crusaders) have been training with All Blacks without officially being in the squad. Just giving them a feel of what it's about, which I admit to being a fan of.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Coltman reminds me of Hore in terms of attitude - just straight in, big engine, plays for the team.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
"Taylor played one warmup game at first-five for the Crusaders before starting seven matches at second-five and a further three at fullback during their Super Rugby campaign. " From the Stuff article.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would argue that Deans had an approximately 4 year long honeymoon that only began to seriously crack up upon the the RWC debacle, partly as the ARU relentlessly put out, and much of our gullible media (and many posters here it must be said) bought, the line hook, line and sinker that the 2008-2011 period was principally a conscious, cunningly planned (by Deans) 'development and investment' period that would sustain losses along the way and yet yield an apogee of great achievement at the 'central goal' of the RWC 2011 (implying that this was the big prize that would be seen to justify the disappointments that preceded it).

I tend to disagree, Deans was copping stick from the start, it goes with the job.

And Link will as well, it still goes with the job, all that is changed is the sub set of critics at this stage.

In reality he has the same issues as Deans, over promising and under-delivering

Richo

John Thornett (49)
In reality he has the same issues as Deans, over promising and under-delivering

That's not really fair. Link's only had one game.

But he would have been wiser to set lower expectations, talk about the amount of work required, and point out that great teams are built with time, patience, and commitment to development.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That's not really fair. Link's only had one game.

But he would have been wiser to set lower expectations, talk about the amount of work required, and point out that great teams are built with time, patience, and commitment to development.

Had he said that, would we have complained about him not aiming to win every game? You can't say it's going to take time to get better without implying that games are going to be lost whilst that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.