• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)

the-office-steve-carell.gif

w=400

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

NZRPA threatens to walk away from New Zealand Rugby in extraordinary letter​

Real interested in this, there an awful lot of things that don't line up with the letter. If the NZRPA did walk away, they would have noone to play, certainly not test matches RC , Bledisloe, WC etc, or even use the Name All Blacks the Silver Fern etc.

Still bonus is the Wallabies will win the Bledisloe etc.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
This could make for some interesting selection debates:

"All Blacks and Chiefs wing Emoni Narawa re-signs with New Zealand Rugby"

Only signed for two years so if he doesn't become a first-pick AB he can head offshore pre-RWC which would probably be worth a few extra £, € or ¥.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Real interested in this, there an awful lot of things that don't line up with the letter. If the NZRPA did walk away, they would have noone to play, certainly not test matches RC , Bledisloe, WC etc, or even use the Name All Blacks the Silver Fern etc.

Still bonus is the Wallabies will win the Bledisloe etc.

Yep, but likewise they know that NZRU will have nothing of value to sell so it makes it very difficult for NZRU to call their bluff.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ might make the PU's pull their heads in, though: without NZR money they all go broke within a year & the vast bulk of that money is generated by the AB.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I don't think it's as simple as "goodies v baddies" @Dismal Pillock.

Near as I can tell everyone bar the Provincial Unions wants the game split between the bits that generate money (AB & whatever Super Rugby evolves/ mutates into) & those that don't, the PU having no direct say in how either is run.

So NZR Commercial controls the sponsorship, tv rights etc & pays NZR Community a dividend which is then distributed via the PU who have in the meantime done a deal with Gallaghers (the insurance company, not the one that makes electric fences :)) that gives themselves a revenue stream independent of NZR.

It all looks OK on paper but my concern is what happens to NPC (e.g. does Commercial take the position that the PU are getting Gallagher's money so don't need as much of their's, do Super Rugby players & the occasional AB play in it, etc).

Anyhoo there's a Special General Meeting next week that will either blow the game up & leave NZRPA, NZR & the PU fighting over how it gets rebuilt, or someone will have to put self-interest aside & do what's best for the game. I suspect the latter but only after a lot of chest-beating from both sides & some kind of revenue-sharing deal being done on the sidelines.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think it's as simple as "goodies v baddies" @Dismal Pillock.

Near as I can tell everyone bar the Provincial Unions wants the game split between the bits that generate money (AB & whatever Super Rugby evolves/ mutates into) & those that don't, the PU having no direct say in how either is run.

So NZR Commercial controls the sponsorship, tv rights etc & pays NZR Community a dividend which is then distributed via the PU who have in the meantime done a deal with Gallaghers (the insurance company, not the one that makes electric fences :)) that gives themselves a revenue stream independent of NZR.

It all looks OK on paper but my concern is what happens to NPC (e.g. does Commercial take the position that the PU are getting Gallagher's money so don't need as much of their's, do Super Rugby players & the occasional AB play in it, etc).

Anyhoo there's a Special General Meeting next week that will either blow the game up & leave NZRPA, NZR & the PU fighting over how it gets rebuilt, or someone will have to put self-interest aside & do what's best for the game. I suspect the latter but only after a lot of chest-beating from both sides & some kind of revenue-sharing deal being done on the sidelines.
From what I can understand WOB, there are only a few PUs against it. Auckland , Wellington are a couple, but I know a lot like Taranaki etc see it as way forward. It's pretty confusing, I think the NZR board are pretty keen on new structure, but can also perhaps see how some PUs are worried about splitting game more between Pro and anmateur.
Even the NZRPA split they talking about, is saying they will be made up by a board made up of Super teams? So replacing PUs with super club reps is kind of sticking with same thing but just moving goalposts? If they want an independant board surely it should be properly independant?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Aidan Morgan has signed a two-year deal with Ulster. And his granddad was born in Belfast...

NZR need to sign Ruben Love asap for as long as they can (Perofeta I think has already re-signed?) to protect our 10 depth.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Joe Moody says he doesn't have a CruSadists contract for 2025. Will be interesting to see if someone here or o/s picks him up he goes farming full time.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
The Provincial Unions have voted down the NZRPA- & NZR-backed governance model & are now voting on the PU-backed one which needs a two-thirds majority to pass. Apparently the first vote was 51-39 so they're going to have to find at least nine extra votes from somewhere.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
So the provincial blazer boys have rejected the full proposal 31-59 which the likes of Patsy and NZRPA supported. Does this mean they can now hit the detonate button and eject the old boys?

zer0

John Thornett (49)
So the blazer boys turkeys did not vote for Christmas but voted 69-21 in favour of continued blazering. Time for NZRPA to follow through and nuke the whole thing. Hopefully bring Reddy with them, though. She always seems to talk sense whenever she is interviewed.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
"...Scott Barrett and Codie Taylor stay with NZ Rugby through to 2027 World Cup"

I don't expect Taylor to still be one of the three best hookers in NZ by then but he should still be a good yardstick by which to measure the younger guys.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
"Following a Special General Meeting last week, at which the 26 members voted in favour of adopting Proposal 2, the provincial unions now have until mid-August to stand up their new governance structure and appoint a nine-person board.

"Gregor Paul* explains how the process will play out, the possible ramifications and details how challenging it will be to find the nine best people to govern in the interests of all of New Zealand rugby."

* don't be put off by the by-line, I've only skimmed it so far but it could be the best thing he's written in years.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
So when is Nichol going to get on with it?

EDIT:

The chair will be paid by NZR, but not have any voting rights, and if the GAP is set up as per the proposal, it will have seven voting members, three of whom represent unions, meaning it will only take one other member of the panel to be persuaded to side with them for the provinces to dominate decision-making.

David Pilkington, the former Fonterra executive and highly experienced director who delivered the independent review of rugby’s governance structure that formed the basis of Proposal 1 that was rejected by the unions, believes any prospective NZR directors will be wary about the lack of clarity in the intended relationship between the GAP and national body’s board.

He says the set-up looks like a two-tier board where a provincial union dominated GAP will have a remit and mandated powers to influence the NZR board on matters of governance.

It would be unprecedented in business or sport to have a board advising a board, and Pilkington, and other experienced governance personnel spoken to the Herald, believe that high-calibre directors will be reluctant to apply for positions on the NZR board given the probable control and influence the GAP will hold over it, and the uncertainty as to the true nature of its intended relationship with the national body.

What a total, complete-and-utter, scam. I understood from other pieces that the provincial blazers were aiming to set themselves us to slap themselves on the back and burn money, but this is the first time I've seen it laid out simply enough for my smooth brain to understand.

What may further erode confidence is that the provincial unions who have been so determined to create the GAP, appear to have little to no understanding themselves of what kind of skillsets, experience and knowledge they want contained within the new body.

Wellington chairman Russell Poole, who led the working group that devised Proposal 2, wrote to all unions on June 3, before an update meeting later that day, to say:

“Ahead of the hui tonight for those PU chairs that can make it, I asked AI for a position and person description for a GAP member.

“Specifically, I typed in the following: job and person description for a role in a Governance Advisory Panel in a New Zealand sporting organisation.

“The above of course needs to be read in conjunction with the tasks outlined in P2 and is not ‘gospel’ but simply a starter document.

lmao and these blazer brigade donkeys reckon they have what it takes to run a professional sporting organisation. I wouldn't put this lot in charge of organising a sausange sizzle at a fucken primary school.

"AI tell how make money from rugga bugga."

zer0

John Thornett (49)
New additions to the ABs coaching team. Throwing coach makes sense. Though has it really taken this long to replace Byrne as kicking coach? I don't recall anyone else holding that role in Hansen's or Foster's setups...

Former All Blacks Corey Flynn and David Hill will add their throwing and kicking expertise to the All Blacks environment during the 2024 season.

Flynn, a 15-test All Blacks hooker, will fill a newly-created role of throwing coach with regular touch points with the squad when they are in New Zealand throughout the season.

Hill, a first five-eighth who made one test appearance as a replacement against Ireland in 2006 and also played two games in 2001, will continue as kicking coach for the next two years.

It’s a role that’s seen him keeping tabs on the All Blacks kickers since as far back as 2017 in a part time capacity. He has been in a regular contracted role since 2019.

Tamati Ellison, who has been a member of the Crusaders coaching group for the last two years, will also work part-time as a contact skills coach.

EDIT: Obligatory Cantab mafia etc...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Which is your ABs starting XV if you have to pick according 2024 Super Rugby performances?
Love , Telea. Reece, Proctor/ALB, Barrett, DMac, TJ, Sotutu, Papali'i, Finau,Vai'i, Darry, Lomax, Aumua,Numia.
That's on super in general, don't think that will be team by any means, but thats just by super from. Scott Barrett will be there as will Codie Taylor, just they haven't played enough to get picked on Super form. Savea and BB will be in picture somewhere too I have no doubt.