• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Maximising the opportunity of Rugby 7s in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Seems extremely shortsighted, the ARU operated the Australian 7's at an amateur level for the past 10 years, I suspect this will be a decision which comes back to bite them in to he future..

I agree, the suits have made the decision that they'd rather young talent be in the provincial academies and play AIL (Shute Shield level) than have the most talented play 7s.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
If we want to introduce rugby to the non playing schools or the non playing portion of the schools, then the best way is using the soft entry of touch football. You have to take a longer view and get this established with competitions in primary schools. This has great potential in traditional AFL areas. With Sevens. If we are going to capture the imagination of the fee paying public hen we have to include all league clubs. We have to be inclusive. From that rugby can piggy back off the popularity of club League and introduce the league patron to rugby personalities in their district as well as giving a better chance for some media coverage.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think that Walla rugby should be rebranded as Walla 7's. It could have the same rules for all participants but increase the field size for older age groups. It would appeal to more as it decreases the risk of injury.

From there you could introduce the tackle and then you suddenly have 7's. We've had some success with this at some local schools as they don't identify it as union or league but just as a game of footy.

If we want to be a powerhouse of 7's rugby then we have to appeal to everyone not just the rugby faithful.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd really like to see the ARU try and tie all the regional 7's events (like the Noosa, Byron Bay, Melbourne, Hobart, Melbourne, Sydney Etc.) into one single domestic circuit. Try and get a few sponsors on board for all the events, and maybe even get a few big financial firms to field teams as an advertising exercise.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Can we get Rugby Sevens into the Schools as a viable Summer Sport option, competing with Basketball, Rowing, Tennis, and Cricket, Athletics, Water Polo and Swimming for players?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can we get Rugby Sevens into the Schools as a viable Summer Sport option, competing with Basketball, Rowing, Tennis, and Cricket, Athletics, Water Polo and Swimming for players?

I think we could. We may actually be surprised how successful it would be particularly in the public sector where the sports options are more limited.

T

TOCC

If we want to introduce rugby to the non playing schools or the non playing portion of the schools, then the best way is using the soft entry of touch football. You have to take a longer view and get this established with competitions in primary schools. This has great potential in traditional AFL areas. With Sevens. If we are going to capture the imagination of the fee paying public hen we have to include all league clubs. We have to be inclusive. From that rugby can piggy back off the popularity of club League and introduce the league patron to rugby personalities in their district as well as giving a better chance for some media coverage.

Small issue, Touch football Australia officially merged with the NRL/ARLC earlier this year, it is now under administration of the ARLC, it's a stepping stone for league now.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
They're now trying to get OzTag to join them as well.

oztag was the original code that the NRL tried to align with but the owners of oztag screwed it up by asking for too much money so they went to touch instead. Kinda doubt touch would have signed a agreement that would leave the door open for oztag to get the same deal as they have with the NRL, they are in direct competition with each other.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Unless the ARU hurry up, the 7s boat will be missed in Australia and taken by League. So many of us have been calling for a summer 7s comp, looks like the NRL may get there first with 9s.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...id-game-on-agenda-for-nrl-20140208-328r1.html

It also suggests a hybrid game between 7s and 9s. I think a lot of this is very much pie in the sky stuff. I don't think the 9s will provide the spectacular they are hoping for as the very nature of league being a highly structured game doesn't provide for the free running nature that makes 7s so popular around the world.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A couple of comments. Firstly, there is a world of difference (literally) between an international Sevens competition comprising national teams, compared with a domestic Nines event based upon one country's franchises.

The Nines will start with a bang. Maybe it will do okay for a year or two, but it will quickly run out of steam. It would probably do better, for longer, if it were based in Australia, which is where most of the supporters are.

Doyle is smart enough to realise this. That is why he is floating the hybrid game option.

However, there is no incentive for the IRB to do anything significant to the Sevens rules, even if it did mean incorporating a new dimension by allowing loig teams to participate (the addition of GB, Australian, and NZ loig teams in the comp would add a lot of interest). Which is not to say that I think the door is necessarily slammed on any kind of rapprochement. Imagine the ratings if there were to be a combined Sevens competition.

Finally, the Sevens does need some sprucing up, IMHO. The time to do that is before it becomes too obvious. But when a team can win a competition without conceding a single point, maybe we need to think about broadening things a bit.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
"The Nines will start with a bang. Maybe it will do okay for a year or two, but it will quickly run out of steam. It would probably do better, for longer, if it were based in Australia, which is where most of the supporters are."

Agreed, this will go the way of the Indigenous v All Stars "fixture" that lasted all of 3 seasons & has now been "indefinitely postponed" & wasn't there a 7's comp during the Super League years that was a casualty of the SL-ARL re-merger?

In terms of our 7's game it seems to be in pretty good shape with some countries e.g. Canada & before them Kenya developing nicely - hopefully as the global economy picks up the circuit can be expanded again: Rio will also help in this regard, of course.

A cynic might suggest that Australia's best chance of winning 7's Gold would be to recruit a bunch of kiwis, Fijians & safas, given that it's kinda worked for your 15's... luckily I'm not a cynic, eh.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It also suggests a hybrid game between 7s and 9s. I think a lot of this is very much pie in the sky stuff. I don't think the 9s will provide the spectacular they are hoping for as the very nature of league being a highly structured game doesn't provide for the free running nature that makes 7s so popular around the world.

I've got it! Now hang with me here but I reckon a hybrid game between 9s & 7s could 8s!!! Love it. Let's get to it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought 6's was cricket. Used to be played in Asia and was meant to be their version of 7's. Didn't really take off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.