• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Mark Gasnier announces his retirement from mungoland. To come to Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I personally think it would be great. We need an outside centre for the Wb's and as far as Mungoes go, he is a respectable bloke with Rugby experience... What's wrong with Gaz?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He isn't the drawcard he once was. On the wrong side of 30 as well. Injury prone. That said if a Super franchise can get him cheap then I wouldn't be too against it.

And I do hate it when you say 'We need an OC for the Wallabies'. We need an OC for West Harbour, then if he is good enough he will play for the Waratahs, then if he is picked in the Wallabies he will be fucking grateful.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
On the wrong side of 30 as well.

Not quite just yet... he will be in a few days though.

Either way, it doesn't sound like he has much interest in coming back to rugby. The articles talk about him not being able to commit 100% mentally next year, wanting to spend more time with his family and, "it was a shame what happened with France" (his words apparently).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It really does sound like he wants to retire from professional sport, it doesn't sound like he's keen for another whirl at our code. He is 29 so it's slightly early but nothing ridiculous.

I never did find at article about why he so unceremoniously quit rugby rather then having a genuine crack at the real deal, he was doing all the right things in France and whilst he was never a show stopper SBW wasn't either until he got some quality SH coaching.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I think the Tah's need someone to create some interest in the game again and he has the profile in Sydney to do it.

Oh well, just an idea. Sorry to offend Barbarian, i'll try not to upset your delicate sensibilities from here on in.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think the Tah's need someone to create some interest in the game again and he has the profile in Sydney to do it.

Oh well, just an idea. Sorry to offend Barbarian, i'll try not to upset your delicate sensibilities from here on in.

I agree with you Joe Mac. There are lots of pluses to these signings when they don't cost the ARU a fortune. He's a drawcard. He's a nice bloke (nicer than some bitter rugby fans, I might add). And he's a brilliant footballer. Under Link he came within an ace of being a very good rugby player as well. If he makes the Tahs, or the Reds, then good luck to him. If he helps us in our perennial battle for sporting support in this country, then it's good lck for us! It seems unlikely he'd ever make the Wobbs, but that should never be the driver for a code switch anyway.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the Tahs over Gaz. I'm with you Barbarian, he'd have to do it a club level first.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
What's wrong with Gaz?

Did you watch his passenger efforts in the Origin games? Did nothing in any of those games, poor attack, poor options, got smashed by Darius Boyd (three times).

He might be a decent fella, but he's not the player he used to be. If he's willing to have a crack, come through the system.

T

TOCC

Nope, why sign a 30yr old leaguie when he probably has 2 seasons left in him max, in which 1 season would be spent getting him up to speed with SuperRugby when we could in turn invest our time and effort in developing one of the many union juniors who are targets of NRL clubs.

His not a superstar who is going to have any real influence on ratings or crowd figures, so what's the point? Resources are better spent elsewhere.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The stories I read said that the Toey Human was retiring from professional sport. But with the quality of league (or indeed, Australian) journalism, who knows. I would be shocked if he went to rugby, though. I fail to see why he would.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Can't see it happening, he has little passion for Rugby else he would have stayed on for another year to get a WC spot instead of switching back to League.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Anyone who thinks he'd switch to rugby in this country is kidding themselves... He did love France though and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back over there...

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
His playing ability and age aside it just wouldnt look good for our sport. At least I believe so anyway. He came back from French Rugby saying it was all about wanting to get an NRL premiership and commenting he always prefered League to Union. Why oh why would you then want him back in our game playing for our nation when you know he'd prefer to be somewhere else? I want to see players in Wallaby jerseys that love this game and consider it their own.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know why you'd want him. He never rubbished Union in the media but it was clear he only went over to make some cash. I heard rumours of why he left the NRL and that's to do with money problems. He was never interested in the actual code - just the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.