• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah saying it was directed at a player is the oldest excuse in the book

Source: I've done this myself

Hooker has to the weakest position of the Lions. Even with TPN out, Moore should outplay whoever gets picked.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
There is some debate here on why he didn't pick Best conjecture mostly, if Hartley for some reason misses the lions I still wouldn't bet on Best going, Ken Owens the Llanelli hooker has outed Mathew Rees from the scarlets (Llanelli) then from the Welsh team so he would be a strong candidate.
Many here think he should have gone instead of one of the English Hookers anyways.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
There is some debate here on why he didn't pick Best conjecture mostly

Its well known that they came to blows after the match in 2008 when Wales beat Ireland in Croke Park. Which other English hooker would you pick? Even with Bests throwing yips he is still, after Mike Ross, the unluckiest man to miss out. The common denominator in it all is Graham Rowntree barracking for his mates in the selection meetings not to mention Wazza not practising what he preaches.

Have to agree with Querty that Moore is a class above all the Lions hookers

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Didn't see the incident, but in terms of standardised guidance for Illegal and/or Foul Play and Misconduct, IRB Regulation 17 applies.

Judiciary Entry Point Based on Scale of Seriousness of the Player’s conduct, which constitutes the offending.

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Verbal Abuse of Match Officials,
Lower End 6 weeks, Mid Range 12 weeks, Top End 18+weeks, Maximum Sanction 52 weeks

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Physical Abuse of Match Officials
Lower End 24 weeks, Mid Range 48 weeks, Top End 96+ weeks, Maximum Sanction Life

Law No.6.A.5, 10.4(k) Threatening Actions or Words at Match Officials
Lower End 12 weeks, Mid Range 24 weeks, Top End 48+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 260 weeks

The commentators on Fox were reasonably confident that there would be an appeal, but they felt that the punishment was about right.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The Lions are vulnerable at the hooker position. Youngs was poor with his darts in the English Premiership final. Best was very poor with Ireland in the 6Ns with his throwing and became only worse as the pressure grew; that's what cost him initial Lions selection. Best is probably the better player vs Hibbard but his throwing is really susceptible under pressure.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Delighted for Best, he was the obvious choice. All 3 hookers can suffer a major bout of the yips at lineout time, it is worth noting that when POC is in the Ireland side Best does seem to be more accurate. This is also the case with Muller in the Ulster team, the yips usually appear when those two aren't running the line out. The 2 jersey is probably the most open of all the positions for the Lions at this stage.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm loving the irony in that Hartley, by standing before a judge and being found guilty of a crime, does not get shipped to Australia.:) What a talent he is wasting through being a thug and a twat. I can't say that I find Bests' selection particularly re-assuring as he's had no international form to select him on. But there again, neither has anyone else. Lets hope that, having originally been left out, he has the cojones to prove he deserves to be there and he finds some form. Someone has to cos Moore is world class and indeed, I would put both Fainga'a and Hanson ahead of the Lions hookers.

JSRF - Sorry but the only way Ross could make the Lions tour at the moment would be because he's a nice bloke and can tell a good story. If form and fitness had anything to do with it then he is rightly staying behind. He should miss the Ireland tour of NA and take a well earned rest.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
JSRF - Sorry but the only way Ross could make the Lions tour at the moment would be because he's a nice bloke and can tell a good story. If form and fitness had anything to do with it then he is rightly staying behind. He should miss the Ireland tour of NA and take a well earned rest.

Ross is the best scrummaging tighthead available to Lions, this season he has been instrumental in Ireland and Leinster winning the scrum battles against Wales, England, Scotland, Clermont, Argentina, Munster, Biarritz, Stade Francais and Ospreys. The only time he got bettered in the tight exchanges was when South Africa brought on a fresh front row.

If the Lions where serious about taking the Australians on at set piece time Ross would have been brought on tour. Graham Rowentree decided to take his good mate and powder puff tight head, admittedly a decent loose head, Matt Stevens. I think that the Lions management have under estimated the Aussies ability at scrum time and they'll regret not bringing Mike. IMO Ross is about even with Adam Jones in at the set piece and offers just as much around the park. He is a class above Cole in the scrum, there are few better tight heads better than Cole in the loose but England had probably the worst scrum in the 6 nations. The tight heads primary function is to lock the scrum, Cole can't be relied upon to do that and it could be a deciding in a tightly fought series.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ross is the best scrummaging tighthead available to Lions, this season he has been instrumental in Ireland and Leinster winning the scrum battles against Wales, England, Scotland, Clermont, Argentina, Munster, Biarritz, Stade Francais and Ospreys. The only time he got bettered in the tight exchanges was when South Africa brought on a fresh front row.

If the Lions where serious about taking the Australians on at set piece time Ross would have been brought on tour. Graham Rowentree decided to take his good mate and powder puff tight head, admittedly a decent loose head, Matt Stevens. I think that the Lions management have under estimated the Aussies ability at scrum time and they'll regret not bringing Mike. IMO Ross is about even with Adam Jones in at the set piece and offers just as much around the park. He is a class above Cole in the scrum, there are few better tight heads better than Cole in the loose but England had probably the worst scrum in the 6 nations. The tight heads primary function is to lock the scrum, Cole can't be relied upon to do that and it could be a deciding in a tightly fought series.

It's a bit early to say the Lions management have underestimated the Australian scrum...we haven't played a game yet. If Ross was fit he would be a consideration but I can't think of a single six nations match where he had any presence around the field. Jones is slow, but he wasn't that slow against England and he even got the odd turnover. Ross was so far behind the play that if he managed to get to any ruck or maul, he was too late to do anything. He might of been pacing himself to last 80 mins, it maybe that Kidney has flogged him in the absence of any other THP or just simply, that he wasn't 100 % fit. But if he can't keep up with the play in the wet and miserable conditions that the 6N offered up, how do you think he will go on the faster decks in Australia against a side that will inevitably seek to play and up-tempo game? Ross is a very good scrummager but Jones is proven against Robinson and Cole is no slouch either. And if you think the Wobblies will go better than expected in the scrum, as do I, then you've got to have guys who can compete around the park too. For, we may or may not win the scrum battle, but I don't believe we will lose it, even with Cole.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Its well known that they came to blows after the match in 2008 when Wales beat Ireland in Croke Park. Which other English hooker would you pick? Even with Bests throwing yips he is still, after Mike Ross, the unluckiest man to miss out. The common denominator in it all is Graham Rowntree barracking for his mates in the selection meetings not to mention Wazza not practising what he preaches.

Have to agree with Querty that Moore is a class above all the Lions hookers
Well if it came to physical blows I cant see him going, as for Ross, I see as an Irishman you would think that But I would say the best two TH have gone, Also Hibbard is pretty useful in the scrum and around the field, not as well known as some but he will hold is own against any of the Australian hookers.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well if it came to physical blows I cant see him going, as for Ross, I see as an Irishman you would think that But I would say the best two TH have gone, Also Hibbard is pretty useful in the scrum and around the field, not as well known as some but he will hold is own against any of the Australian hookers.
Well if Best punches like he throws he would have missed the target. They must have kissed and made up.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Glad best got his belated Lions call, he was absolutely superb for Ulster against Leinster in the pro12 final on Saturday. Really put his body on the line, and seemed to be the main nuisance at virtually every breakdown.
Think he'll start the tests unless Hibbard hits the ground running this weekend after his injury.
Mike Ross I'd agree is unlucky not to tour but I feel he's feeling the effects of being flogged to death by Kidney unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.