• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Link an All Black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antipodean

Read an article in the Courier Mail today about Ewen McKenzie being the #1 choice to coach the All Blacks if Henry doesn't win the World cup.
Article is either a wind up, or the editor is drunk.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Kiwis employing a Aussie coach? Shit, we are more like to see a former NSWelshman Victorian coaching the Reds and a Queenslander good ole New South Wales boy coaching the Tahs before this happens! oh wait....

Fixed

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Of the twenty coaches at the RWC, six are Kiwis. We aren't short of coaches with international experience,just available ones. Incidently there are sixtyfour Kiwi born players scattered through the various teams. Two squads with four spare. Not bad for two poxy little islands, and with all that Kiwi influence internationally we''ll have you all cheating with the best before you know it.

M

Muttonbird

why would the super 15 championship winning coach want to lower himself to coach a poxy little island in the south pacific

edit: two poxy little islands

Spirtual guardians, mate. Home of rugby. Where ya been?:lmao:

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think there may be some fire where there is this gossipy 'Link to coach ABs' smoke.

Link (in conjunction with McCall and Carmichael) has achieved more for Australian rugby in an incredibly short period than virtually any single person in the last 30 years. Macqueen would be close for this prize, but he started with a better performing player base and a supporting RU in good shape, financially and otherwise. Not the case for where Link began in late 2009 with the QRU at near-death and the Reds a virtual long-term basket case in competitive terms.

I only mention this in the context of this thread as it's been notable to contrast (a) the accolades poured by the ARU upon RD in relation to his contract extension when the Wallabies had won little of substance when this extension was announced and after 3.5 years of Wallabies coaching and, equally, (b) how little relative praise the ARU afforded Link after his Reds triumph and all that he has manifestly done for the survival and new prosperity of Australian rugby in one of its homelands - there were a few platitudes after July 9 but, for example, at the recent John Eales medal awards, did JO'N or McGrath even make a single complimentary reference to Link all night? Did they assess that the Reds' success had contributed little to the 2011 Wallabies' player calibre and team self-confidence?

From multiple sources, I do not believe Link has been 'promised' in any form the Wallabies' coaching position in 2014.

Somewhere, I have to believe Link is seething over the little public recognition he has been given outside the QRU and the regular praising of Deans by his ARU employers despite very limited hard results actually delivered, plus the still-not-clearly-explained contract extension to late 2013. I don't think Link has finally signed his contract extension with the QRU, and it would not surprise me one bit if he was quietly letting it be known he'd consider offers outside Australia. After all, aside from Henry, what other elite rugby coach anywhere has achieved as much in the last 5 years in objective, measurable terms? Signing Link would be coup for almost any elite rugby team, anywhere.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think there may be some fire where there is this gossipy 'Link to coach ABs' smoke...

...From multiple sources, I do not believe Link has been 'promised' in any form the Wallabies' coaching position in 2014.

Somewhere, I have to believe Link is seething over the little public recognition he has been given outside the QRU and the regular praising of Deans by his ARU employers despite very limited hard results actually delivered, plus the still-not-clearly-explained contract extension to late 2013. I don't think Link has finally signed his contract extension with the QRU, and it would not surprise me one bit if he was quietly letting it be known he'd consider offers outside Australia. After all, aside from Henry, what other elite rugby coach anywhere has achieved as much in the last 5 years in objective, measurable terms? Signing Link would be coup for almost any elite rugby team, anywhere.

I get it that the siege mentality is an essential part of the Queensland spirit, but do you really think that Link is seething over a lack of public recognition outside the Reds’ home state? I think he’s received plenty of accolades from everywhere in the rugby community. Plenty of Waratahs fans, including myself, hold him in very high regard for what he achieved in Sydney previously and were sad to see him go. He’s been sensational for the Reds and Australian rugby in general. How often do you hear people say "The Tahs/Rebels/Brumbies/Force are my team, but I love to watch the Reds"? (Rhetorical question by the way - the answer is often). And whilst he’s undoubtedly achieved a lot with the Reds, I think he’d give some credit to Phil Mooney for the some of his recruitment decisions also.

So you think there might be something to the gossip about coaching NZ? I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be coming from NZ, so are you suggesting Angry Link has been putting his name out there? I strongly doubt it. Of course he wouldn’t have been promised the Wallabies in 2014 – why on earth would the ARU arrange a job like that 3 years into the future?

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I had read on another blog somewhere - that for the life of me I can't find again - that Gatland would be next in line to take over from Henry...

Also I don't know the politics at the ARU and who's in or who's out, but I do suspect that in 2014 after RD current contract expires Link would have a better shot at the top job, doesn't JON step down after the 2013 Lions tour as well? Is he the one opposing Link's signing?

For the record though at the moment I'm more than happy to see RD in top job..I think he's done a great job in building depth & reigniting interest in the code..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
John Kirwin is keen for the job too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-sport/5614534/John-Kirwan-eyes-All-Black-coaches-job

John Kirwan eyes All Black coaches job
DUNCAN JOHNSTONE Last updated 05:00 13/09/2011

Auckland raised John Kirwan makes no secret of the fact that he wants to coach New Zealand.

But the man who set the standards as a modern wing in the black jersey is realistic about his chances of getting that job - for the moment.

"If they called me I would certainly say yes. But I don't think the phone is going to ring," the 46-year-old said when reminded that the All Blacks position was open for applications and he is off contract in December.

"I'm a coach .. I want to be the best that I can be and that's the best job in the world. That would be the proudest moment in my life.

"But at this stage I'm concentrating on playing in this league. I've got to get a team ready for a big challenge. My focus is the World Cup."

And he's doing a damn fine job. Japan were one of the upstarts of the opening weekend, pushing France to the extreme and winning plenty of fans in the process. Now they have set their sights on the All Blacks in Hamilton.

"Competing with a top-five side like France gives us great confidence. What we need to do is back that up week after week and keep playing the game that suits us and keep that level of passion in there as well. I think the courage and commitment of our guys was fantastic. But we need to do that for 80 minutes."

Kirwan is a proud All Black who has embraced the Japanese game and is passionate about the potential of rugby in Asia. He coached at club level in Japan from 1999 to 2001 and is now in his fifth year with the national team on the back of an apprenticeship with the Blues and four years with the Italian national side.

He has strongly advocated Japanese inclusion in an expanded Super Rugby competition and believes a better pathway needs to be found for the Brave Blossoms in the test scene.

"It is really important that we have an even game," he says of world rugby. "The IRB have done a great job with funding for the Pacific Nations Cup and we have got tournaments now that we are involved in that are making us better. The next challenge is a path for us to the Tri-Nations and for some of the second-tier unions in Europe, a pathway to the Six Nations. That would give us the competition... the future is definitely tournaments for the second-tier nations."

That would help Japanese players gain the mental toughness needed to nail opportunities like the one they let slip against France where the biggest upset in World Cup history went begging.

Before the tournament, Kirwan was adamant Japan could bring a special brand of rugby to New Zealand. He was thrilled they were able to exhibit some of that against France and equally delighted in the appreciation shown to his side by the big crowd at Albany and by others in subsequent days.

"This is the home of rugby and everyone knows the game. That's why it's so nice for me to get some compliments about the team. They knew that we played well... and that we missed an opportunity."

Friday is another opportunity but a bigger challenge - on and off the field. This will be a game where Kirwan's team are judged by non-rugby people in Japan because the All Blacks are held in such high esteem.

"So it's important that we show the same courage we did last week. We are preparing like we did against France. We have a game plan and we are going to try to attack the All Blacks where we think we have seen some weaknesses.

''You can't give the ball to the All Blacks; you can't give them any breathing space. But it's important that we implement some of our stuff as well."

T

tblackadder

it would be a big step fior the nzru to bring in an aussie coach to coach the abs...becuase expectations are high and if he fails to win 90% of games he will be pronounced a failure (= big downside and little upside)

but the nzru arent adverse to the idea of foreign coaches - becuase nuci coaches auckland and phil mooney coached otago

if anyone was picked it would be someone like ewen or jake white

with robbie and gatland signed up past the world cup there arent alot of other high quality options around....

A

antipodean

For the record though at the moment I'm more than happy to see RD in top job..I think he's done a great job in building depth & reigniting interest in the code..
I'd suggest those have more to do with the expansion of Super Rugby and the success of the Reds.

I don't think Link has finally signed his contract extension with the QRU, and it would not surprise me one bit if he was quietly letting it be known he'd consider offers outside Australia.
If he was to be so Machiavellian, you'd think he'd come up with a plausible story.

but the nzru arent adverse to the idea of foreign coaches - becuase nuci coaches auckland and phil mooney coached otago
I don't know why that sheltered workshop that is the NZRU has permitted those travesties, but even they aren't that daft to select johnny foreigner to coach the All Blacks.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
@ bon &muttonbird
its all in good fun fellas, i cant help but have a dig at my kiwi brothers when i get the chance :)
the anzacs spirit is alive and strong with me and if australia cant claim a third wc i like the idea of nz being up on our level with 2
you will always have tremendous ruspect from me cause kiwi teams always play rugby> i noted a stat where carter has kicked 3 drop goals in his international career and jonny wilkinson 35
i can accept austrlaia losing to nz cause they have beaten us playing rugby> the poms and saffas often have exploited the rules to gain victory
but the important thing to me is at the end of this world cup bill stays in the south and all the 'best of the rest cup' (6nations) partisipants go home reminded again they inferior hehe

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I get it that the siege mentality is an essential part of the Queensland spirit, but do you really think that Link is seething over a lack of public recognition outside the Reds' home state?

Didn't say that; related my 'seething' (pure) speculation comment to the complex politics of the ARU>QRU>Link interface and history and not to 'general public recognition' which, broadly, Link has had as you say. But I do think 'general public recognition' and recognition (or otherwise) from the master body oversighting Australian rugby would be two different things from Link's perspective in the context of which I wrote.

I think he received plenty of accolades from everywhere in the rugby community. Plenty of Waratahs fans, including myself, hold him in very high regard for what he achieved in Sydney previously and were sad to see him go. He's been sensational for the Reds and Australian rugby in general. How often do you hear people say "The Tahs/Rebels/Brumbies/Force are my team, but I love to watch the Reds"? (Rhetorical question by the way - the answer is often). And whilst he'ss undoubtedly achieved a lot with the Reds, I think he'd give some credit to Phil Mooney for the some of his recruitment decisions also.

I think he'd surely (and rightly) give Mooney credit for certain historical recruitment decisions and the then-emerging (2009) Reds' backs quality overall.

So you think there might be something to the gossip about coaching NZ? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be coming from NZ, so are you suggesting Angry Link has been putting his name out there? I strongly doubt it. Of course he wouldn't have been promised the Wallabies in 2014 - why on earth would the ARU arrange a job like that 3 years into the future?

No, I don't think there's been an approach to Link from the NZRU. What I am suggesting/speculating is that there's likely some elements of tension in the whole Link-ARU interface that may or will lead to speculation and gossip over Link's plans and potentially spontaneous offers that may come to Link from international parties. Re 2014 and the ARU's then plans: On any rational grounds in the interests of Australian rugby, would you not think it is massively in the ARU's interests to pro-actively keep Link happy and wanting to stay coaching rugby in Australia? Surely Link would have thought himself a candidate to be offered the Wallabies' job from 2012 pre the announcement of RD's re-signing? He may have been (my speculation) disappointed not to have been so offered. It's obvious that Link would want to coach the Wallabies (or I would hope he would), and I would also hope that the ARU would be saying to Link 'whilst we have extended RD's contract through 2013, you are the No 1 candidate to be appointed in 2014 subject, as is always the case, to your ongoing performance until then.' To not offer Link any form of reassurance in these sort of terms would be inviting his loss to Australian rugby, IMO - but the truth may well be that Nucifora is JO'N's favoured candidate for 2014, and that would explain other data surrounding this overall matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.