• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

John Kirwan new Blues coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/7292292/John-Kirwan-to-coach-Blues-as-Lam-shown-door

Former All Black John Kirwan is the new head coach of the Blues, with incumbent Pat Lam being shown the door after four years in charge.
Kirwan returns to coach in New Zealand after stints with Japan (2007-2011) and Italy (2002-2005) and will take over the Blues in August. He has signed a two-year contract for the 2013 and 2014 Super Rugby seasons.

"This is an exciting time. I am honoured to be given the opportunity to lead the Blues next season in what I hope will be a new era of success and innovation," Kirwan said.

"I'm also thrilled about coming back to New Zealand and home to Auckland after several years overseas. I am a proud Blues man and I started my rugby career in the region so I am really excited about connecting with fans and working with the Blues community. There is certainly some hard work ahead and I am looking forward to the challenge."

Kirwan has strong ties to the region having played 142 games for Auckland and 96 for the All Blacks (63 tests). He also had a brief stint with the Blues franchise in 2001 as assistant coach.
Despite suffering a horror injury toll, having the most under-resourced management team in the competition, and the late-season turnaround in form, Lam failed in his bid to be reappointed. Interviews were held last Friday.
This year the Blues finished 12th overall with a record of four wins and 12 losses.
Under Lam the Blues made the playoffs once, finishing 9th, 7th, 4th and 12th overall. The pure numbers say Lam had 26 wins, 32 defeats and a draw.
The head coach role comes with accountability and Lam will accept this. But he has been made a scapegoat and there is a growing sense the finger must be pointed higher up the Blues' food chain if true changes are to be achieved. That responsibility rests with the New Zealand Rugby Union.
Lam will hold his final press conference at Unitec at 1.30pm today.
It was thought the presence of Lam's close-confidant and former All Blacks coach Graham Henry on the five-man selection panel may have given the incumbent a second-chance.
But the overriding push for change has won out with Kirwan securing the role.
Blues chairman Gary Whetton congratulated Kirwan on the new position, highlighting that the expectations in front of him were significant.

"It's been a tough season for the Blues. Our supporters expect the team to play winning rugby, as we all do. The challenge is clearly laid down for John and we look forward to seeing positive results. While there's no denying John has a stellar playing record in New Zealand, our interest was in finding the right coach for the Blues - someone who could coach this team to success and we've selected John to do that," Whetton said.

NZRU general manager of professional rugby Neil Sorensen said Kirwan's appointment followed an intense interview process and he represented an opportunity for change for the franchise.

"We welcome John back to New Zealand and to Auckland. We know that his appointment will be a popular one," Sorensen said. "John presented himself very strongly during the recruitment process and we were impressed with the level of preparation and his understanding of what is required to produce a winning Blues team."

Both Whetton and Sorensen paid tribute to Lam.

"We know this is a difficult time for Pat who has been a long and loyal servant to Auckland Rugby and the Blues and we thank him for all he has given to both," Whetton said.

Sorensen said: "We know that Pat will be very disappointed with this outcome as he had worked tirelessly for the Blues. We will continue to talk to Pat about his future and we wish him well."

Pat Lam made his Blues coaching debut in 2009 having coached Auckland from 2004 to 2008 including an undefeated season in 2007. His coaching career followed a successful playing career with Manu Samoa including three Rugby World Cup campaigns.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Fantastic news! Hopefully he can weed out the flotsam and jetsam (Ali Williams, this means you) and return them back to a winning franchise again

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Surprising. Has Kirwan won anywhere, with anyone?

If the Tahs named someone like Kirwan to be their coach, I'd be pissed. I'd want someone who has won at every level he has coached. Coaching and losing with Japan and Italy just doesn't do it for me irrespective of how fine a player he was, or how poor Japan and Italy's playing resources may have been.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Kirwan made a big difference to Italy and Japan, understands what a team like the Blues need, and has the kudos to get what he needs.

Don't worry about them, worry about the Tahs.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)

If the Tahs named someone like Kirwan to be their coach, I'd be pissed. I'd want someone who has won at every level he has coached. Coaching and losing with Japan and Italy just doesn't do it for me irrespective of how fine a player he was, or how poor Japan and Italy's playing resources may have been.
What would he have had to do at Japan and Italy to be good enough to coach the tahs?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I saw enough from Japan at the World Cup, particularly in the game against France, to see that he is probably a very good technical coach. Whether he is or not, only time will tell, but we will never know unless he gets a chance. He has coached internationally for 8 years as well as an assistant Super Rugby gig and I think he deserves an opportunity to see if he can hack it.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Sir JK had an interesting chat with Marc Ellis on More FM Auckland this morning. He was very aware that the culture of the organisation needs to change and that he faces competition from the NRL for young talent in the Auckland area. He also wants to break down the provincial tribalism and get North Harbour and Northland more involved in the Blues franchise.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Interesting requirements there. You blokes are going to struggle to find anyone who fits that bill, as rumour seems to have it that Cheika would be unlikely to enter the same room as the NSWRU board and I think he would be about the only one who meets that criteria.

For a comparison, McKenzie had never won at every level when he was signed. Winning with Japan & Italy would have made Kirwin an better coach than Graham Henry!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
With all due respect to the fine players in Japan, and Italy, I can not see any coach, short of a Divine Body, being able to regularly win with the Japanese and Italians against the traditional rugby powers.

Someone may have the results thar Sir John has achieved when those teams were playing against countries of similar abilities and rankings. It is grossly unfair to expect Japan and Italy to be win against top 7 IRB ranked countries ATM.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think he's a great fit. He's a former local player who has experience coaching international rugby. His presence will have a great effect on rugby in Auckland.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sir JK had an interesting chat with Marc Ellis on More FM Auckland this morning. He was very aware that the culture of the organisation needs to change and that he faces competition from the NRL for young talent in the Auckland area. He also wants to break down the provincial tribalism and get North Harbour and Northland more involved in the Blues franchise.
He will fail at this unless Dalton and friends are ousted. I have massive respect for JK, beyond rugby. He's almost un-JAFA'd himself to me. I am worried for him.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
JK is probably the bloke to get the vibe kicking around the Blues again given the history. That is a bloody good start.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
From the NZ Herald. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10820399

This answers the question posted previously about Serge Onkirwan's record while coaching Japan. (55.18%).

Darkness legendary hardman Buck Shelford is not impressed with his appointment.

Former All Black captain Buck Shelford has criticised the appointment of Sir John Kirwan as Blues coach.
Kirwan's been appointed for two years replacing the sacked Pat Lam.
Shelford says Kirwan hasn't come through the coaching ranks here.
"He started his coaching at international level basically, he never coached down the bottom and it's like he's been fast-tracked to a career of coaching. Internationally he's probably only done about 20-30 games in the last 10 years," he told Radio Sport's Tony Veitch.
"I would have liked to have see someone in there with a lot more experience and I don't really believe that selection reflects three provinces."
Kirwan's only coaching experience in New Zealand was as an assistant for the Blues during the 2001 season. Following that he signed on as the Italian head coach for four years and then coached Japan from 2007 to 2011.
Japan won 31 of their 55 games under Kirwan's tenure for a 55.18 per cent winning record.
Shelford says being in charge of international teams is less demanding.
"You only play about 10 games a year maximum and not a lot of coaching is it? Compared to some of the other coaches who have spent two or three years in ITM Cup. Kieran Crowley especially with Taranaki then overseas, (and) club football. Compared to JK who has never really done that."

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Shelford was a magnificent player and an awe-inspiring captain. He he has not inspired with his media comments since his retirement. Good on him for saying what he thinks though, we don't need cheerleaders as commentators.

I wonder if part of the reason for his comments is personal; Kirwan is and Aucklander, whereas Buck was a North Harbour man; Kirwan pulled out of the Cavaliers tour (which Kirk in his autobiography said caused animosity between he and his teammates); Buck's coaching career never took off whilst Kirwan's has and the fact that they came from the opposite side of the tracks.

I suspect that are plenty of reasons for Buck not to be Kirwan's greatest fan.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Shelford was a magnificent player and an awe-inspiring captain. He he has not inspired with his media comments since his retirement. Good on him for saying what he thinks though, we don't need cheerleaders as commentators.

I wonder if part of the reason for his comments is personal; Kirwan is and Aucklander, whereas Buck was a North Harbour man; Kirwan pulled out of the Cavaliers tour (which Kirk in his autobiography said caused animosity between he and his teammates); Buck's coaching career never took off whilst Kirwan's has and the fact that they came from the opposite side of the tracks.

I suspect that are plenty of reasons for Buck not to be Kirwan's greatest fan.
You could be right Dam0, you cant please everyone. Its just a two year contract anyway, I reckon give him a chance as things cant get much worse for the Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.