• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Or actually TOCC to highlight my point - A-League marquee strategy was to bring in high profile aged European players and pay them many millions despite knowing they would never represent Australia.

Huge success in growing A-League, so why could not the same be applied for getting Hayne to grow Super Rugby. And why could it not be equally a success.

Nope I still believe the thinking needs to change here as A-League showed such thinking can be successful.

Rugby's biggest market is internationals. Barely any league fans are overly concerned with tests and even less for soccer/football.

While union is hidden on pay TV the only impact Hayne will have is a few extra test viewers who will quickly lose interest if the Wallabies keep losing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To your point - I am not sure you have understood a huge part of the growth and success of the A-league was playing millions for old past it European players with high profiles to grow the game. And was successful as a result of that strategy of attracting millions of new fans who previously had no interest in soccer.

If you don't think signing high profile athletes is not the answer - I am sorry the evidence does not support your case.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
To your point - I am not sure you have understood a huge part of the growth and success of the A-league was playing millions for old past it European players with high profiles to grow the game. And was successful as a result of that strategy of attracting millions of new fans who previously had no interest in soccer.

If you don't think signing high profile athletes is not the answer - I am sorry the evidence does not support your case.

Think it's a bit different Rugbynutter.

There was always the interest in soccer, just not in Australian soccer.

The high profile signings convinced people who were already following Liverpool, man u, world cups and euros to turn up to the domestic comps.

We have no "shadow" support out there, anyone interested in union in this country is already part of our domestic structure

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not disagreeing that did attract those with interest in the world game but it did also attract a lot of other people who were not really followers of soccer but made aware of the high profile of the former marquee super stars which made them interested to go along/switch in to see what it is all about.

If we take it to a simple level Hayne created a lot of interest from not just his league but NFL exploits.

I guess more my point is A-League found an innovative way to grow the game and attract wider fan base. A lot of this is about interest in high profile athletes and personalities so I guess more the point is with large league fan base would attract a lot of interest as well as from Fijian / pacific island community.

My thread more about trying to look outside the box rather than as to whether Hayne should be targeted) or whether the A-League marquee model would work or could work (with some small or big tweaks).

Good debate.

T

TOCC

Fair enough TOCC - marketing wise I still believe the $1m spent would be worthwhile. It is only the current payments structure which is constraining our thinking..

But the payment structure/salary cap is a indicative of Australian Rugbys finances, the cap is a reflection of the clubs ability to generate revenue and pay their players a competitive wage whilst remaining fiscally balanced. They aren't arbitrary figures just plucked from the air.

Waratahs could sign Lebron James and generate $30million in publicity and marketing exposure, but the business case needs to be built on converting that marketing and exposure into new revenue and income for the club.

Yes A-Leauge has the marquee system, but so does rugby.. There isn't a bigger player in Australian Rugby then Israel Folau, or even David Pocock.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Again TOCC so we have a current problem or constraint we need to get around current payment structures if that is the constraint if economics stack up and makes sense. The A-League marquee strategy was not without risks and did require changes to how soccer payments under old NSL was structured. ie they needed new thinking.

If we can sign a player that will bring more dollars and is outside of rugby e.g league and makes sense then we need to find a way around those constraints.

I keep feeling I get message we already have high profile marquee players....I would say we don't have enough...and in particular with some left field thinking others that have profile in other codes who would potentially attract a wider fan base outside of already current union base ie league fans who would switch into watch union with high profile league player like Hayne or Foran (bad example as yes personal issues means don't want troubled player) who would attract their interest. As we know it worked with Folau and hence more of the same if we can find them please. And Hayne with his NFL stint offers much more wider oz interest so maybe just Super Rugby is enough for benefits he would offer to growing interest in Super Rugby.ie. My point is Hayne may do enough in terms of marketing just for super rugby alone that not playing for the wallabies.

I also keep hearing here constraints imposed by current structures - if something different going to benefit our game then we should find a way around those constraints. Would rather hear more of what we could do that than we can't do this because of current constraints.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Despite Foran leaving the Eels, I have a sneaking suspicion Hayne will join the Tahs in 2017.
In saying that I stated that Folau would never come to rugby after AFL back in 2012 so I'm usually well off the money in my predictions.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How good would it be to have Folau and Hayne in a Tahs side - salivating.
I really doubt hayne will end up in super rugby as I don't think money side could be worked out to match what he could end up playing in Sydney based league side. As I assume with his family in Sydney if going to play rugby or league in Oz would for Sydney based side, which would only leave Tahs and with contract in Japan in off season to make up the money side. Which latter not sure would still be enough unless he wants to really play rugby for a new challenge and do it oz as opposed to if just wants new opportunity and happy to play overseas could play for French rugby on much bigger money. Would have thought latter more appealing to Hayne if going to go down rugby route.

Be interesting in any case to see where Hayne goes after sevens stint.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
There are a couple of clips on youtube of Hayne demonstrating fairly well developed goalkicking skills. ANyone know if he can punt the ball?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So many good hot takes on Hayne today.

"Jarryd Hayne will now follow his dream of watching the Olympics on TV."

"Jarryd Hayne will now follow his dream of becoming a professional Pokemon Go player."

Etc.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
So many good hot takes on Hayne today.

"Jarryd Hayne will now follow his dream of watching the Olympics on TV."

"Jarryd Hayne will now follow his dream of becoming a professional Pokemon Go player."

Etc.

"Jarryd Hayne will now follow his lifelong dream of playing for the NSW Waratahs"

T

TOCC

Well Parramatta have another scandal with one of their players involved in a sex tape which includes snorting cocaine, that should free up more of the salary cap.

Those mungoes never cease to amaze me..

Status
Not open for further replies.