• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Japan Beats Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Tampai.

As Bill McLaren would say, they won't be dancing in the valleys tonight.

The fact that it was a Wales B team will not be recorded in the recordbook.

A tremendous day for Asian rugby.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
wales is a team i want to like, they play positive rugby in a hemisphere that generally doesnt... but every single time they've played us in the last decade they always talk about how beatable we are- how we are the easiest of the southern hemisphere teams... how they should have won every time they lose...
all cause they won a game when we had norton knight at 10 (can never forgive u for that knuckles- especially when they could have played barnes) and another within a few years and drew with us around the same time...
i hate wales- i hate how cocky they get around us. they seem to conveniently ignore the last 20 yrs of results
a result against japan like this brings a smile to my face

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
wales is a team i want to like, they play positive rugby in a hemisphere that generally doesnt. but every single time they've played us in the last decade they always talk about how beatable we are- how we are the easiest of the southern hemisphere teams. how they should have won every time they lose.
all cause they won a game when we had norton knight at 10 (can never forgive u for that knuckles- especially when they could have played barnes) and another within a few years and drew with us around the same time.
i hate wales- i hate how cocky they get around us. they seem to conveniently ignore the last 20 yrs of results

Wales didn't win that game that SNK played in.......

A Stephen Hoiles' try after the buzzer won it for the Wallabies 27 - 23.......

The only two games Wales have won against Australia in recent times include the 2005 match that saw Eddie Jones sacked, and in 2008 in Deans first year.........

And of course there was the draw in 2006 under Connolly where Australia was saved by some Chris Latham magic.........

All 3 matches were at Millennium Stadium.........

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
wales is a team i want to like, they play positive rugby in a hemisphere that generally doesnt. but every single time they've played us in the last decade they always talk about how beatable we are- how we are the easiest of the southern hemisphere teams. how they should have won every time they lose.
all cause they won a game when we had norton knight at 10 (can never forgive u for that knuckles- especially when they could have played barnes) and another within a few years and drew with us around the same time.

Who is the "they"? I can't recall the players ever getting cocky. Sure Gatland has been known to shoot his mouth, but not really the players. All I've ever heard is how they know it will be close and tough - and they usually are. some of their commentators however are as one eyed as the rest, which is to be expected in a nation that is rugby crazy.

One of the more memorable tests is that draw at Cardiff when Latham was on fire that night. Great test match.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Posted this in the other thread before I spotted this one, guess it would sit better here.

I was at the game today. It was packed. 25,000 fans who were very enthusiastic if not so knowledgeable. Game was really exciting, so much so that there was none of the usual looking over the wall at the score of the baseball game next door.

It really was a very hot day today and probably very difficult for the Welsh boys. We're in the middle of the rainy season and today was the only sunny day we've had this week.

There were water breaks in both halves, but Japan benefited as much as Wales. Looking at my girlfriend and the crowd around us the locals were suffering with the heat and humidity just as much as the Welsh boys.

There was a few times I thought that Wales would exploit the fact that Japan had a very narrow defensive line and also committing a lot more players to the breakdown. But either poor handling from the Welsh or timely turnovers and intervention from the Japanese meant they couldn't exploit the space out wide.

Overall Japan were excellent and were very good value for this historic win. It was great to see that afterwards the players stayed out for at least 30-40 minutes signing autographs and about 3-4,000 people stayed behind for that long.

It's strange but also great to see Japanese people get so excited about what is a minor sport over here. There were plenty of kids running around with signed rugby balls after the game, who could be the future for Japanese Rugby. Plus the bars were really buzzing after the game.

It was also nice to see that they brought a group of kids from the Tohoku prefecture (area badly affected by the 2011 earthquake) out after the game and they did a lap of honour.

cardiffcider

Stan Wickham (3)
watched the game on tv live take nothing away from japan they deserved there win. but wales have been terrible on this tour. we look like a side who had no direction our set peice was a farce. our coach on this tour robin mcbryde should do the decent thing and stay in japan as he did more to help japan win with his poor selections and no game plan . than eddie jones did for the japan side well done japan you deserved your win robin mcbryde do not come back to wales your not wanted

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Can't find any highlights yet but here is the post game interview with Eddie zones. Good atmosphere

Edit: highlights here

Full game here

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Wales send a 2nd string side once to SA lost 96 - 13. I can remember everyone being pissed at Naka Drotske (Nakata Drotski in Japanese) for dropping the ball with a open try line which would have brought up the century.

So depth not huge in Wales and considering they have sent youngsters of to the JWC as well

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Japanese learn quickly. They got hammered in 95 by NZ. 4 Years later they return with a number of Kiwi's in their team. So did Wales
Haha. Gold. Good on em though. If they can eat the B side that well u would think they would give the A side a bloody good go as well

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Check the Japan vs Wales try going full length of the field. They got the Japanese Bryan Habana in there as well.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Not an intelligent comment really Shiggins, not an awful lot of Wallabies look or sound Australian if you think everyone has to be the same!!
If a Kiwi plays for Australia and you see him on tv you would not know he is a Aussie or Kiwi or Saffer.

But put him in a Japanese team I am sure you would go hey that dude ain't Japanese. If they put you on a ID parade for a crime that was committed and you are standing with just Japanese guys. Would you be happy? Especially if the crime was committed by a guy not from Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.