• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think Foley is as bad a defender as you do. At least he stands in the line and puts his body into it. As McKenzie moved Cooper for a number of reasons, so too does Cheika with Foley. I don't think he needs to - put him there and get him to do it. If anything, moving him to wing sometimes just adds to the confusion, as you say. In any event, "covering" him at 10 is easier with loose forwards around. And a strong 12. Simplify the whole process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not like we lose anything from not having our 10 standing at 10 on opposition lineout ball to take advantage of a steal.

We'd be lucky to have stolen 3 lineouts this season.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Must start: Jones, Phipps/Cooper, Speight. If these players/combinations aren't tested soon we could be in the shit come RWC2015.

I might be a harsh marker but Tomane doesn't look like an instinctive rugby player to me. He shines at Super level, he's not looking too flash at test level. The opportunity's there for him as we're a bit short on speedy wingers, lift your game and grab it with both hands, Joe.

What, no instinct in his jump to take the chip kick over his head and then make ground with ball in hand? No instinct for wing play when he cleaned up after Foley's charged down clearing kick almost on the tryline? No instinct to win the race to get the ball into touch when the Frogs kicked down the right hand side?No instinct when he chased and won the race to force the ball in goal after another French attacking kick?

He has plenty of instinct for wing play and was one of the better performers against the French. Without him, I could see the French scoring at least another couple of tries last weekend.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I hesitate to do it but I will weigh in on The McMenimen debate.
He never made it at test level because his body position was terrible. I remember well watching him taking the ball forward upright and being easily picked off. Add to that the fact that he was a penalty magnet and injured more often than not.
Yes he had the Madness attitude but never showed anything of worth at the highest level.
FACT.

also, sparrows tattooed on his arms. maybe if they were eagles...

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't think Foley is as bad a defender as you do. At least he stands in the line and puts his body into it. As McKenzie moved Cooper for a number of reasons, so too does Cheika with Foley. I don't think he needs to - put him there and get him to do it. If anything, moving him to wing sometimes just adds to the confusion, as you say. In any event, "covering" him at 10 is easier with loose forwards around. And a strong 12. Simplify the whole process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And I was never a fan of Cooper being moved in defense either. I am pretty sure that he now defends in the front line a lot more than he did in his days under Link at the Reds. In any case, I believe he is a better tackler than Foley and a distinctly better attacker/organiser. I would expect the backline to function better with him at 10 than Foley. I would also say that either of them will benefit from having a strong defender at 12.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
my team:

1: slipper
2: hanson
3: kepu
4: jones
5: skelton
6: McMahon
7: Hooper
8: McCalman
9: Phipps
10: Foley
11: Speight
12: TK
13: Izzy
14: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15: Kutley

16: Benn
17: Faulkener
18: Saia
19: Horwill (last chance)
20: Schatz
21: White
22: Horne
23: Tomane

yes, I am bob dwyer

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Not really, I think we mostly hope that our back 3 will be Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Izzy.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a bit of a dark horse at the moment, he probably needed the spell away to get the intense focus off him.

EDIT: As above, in the 23, but maybe not the 15. Time will tell he could have an amazing S15 and get the gig

If JOC (James O'Connor) has more speed than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) then it will be hard for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to hold his spot.
Assuming Speight is firing then AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, JOC (James O'Connor) are probably competing for the 1 spot.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Cyclopath must be suffering apoplexy by now. Here's another poster putting Higgers in the team when he's already on his way back to Aus.:(

You didnt read very far down, as this was like 3 days ago and he immediately corrected me, i think i was one of the 1st ones so apoplexy would be a bit extreme

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If JOC (James O'Connor) replicates his Top 14 form next year in Super Rugby, I think it's very likely he'll be in the matchday 23 and probably in the starting XV.

Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Cummins and Tomane will be fighting hard for that second wing spot.

You'd figure that Speight especially has to really take the next chance given to him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Must start: Jones, Phipps/Cooper, Speight. If these players/combinations aren't tested soon we could be in the shit come RWC2015.

I might be a harsh marker but Tomane doesn't look like an instinctive rugby player to me. He shines at Super level, he's not looking too flash at test level. The opportunity's there for him as we're a bit short on speedy wingers, lift your game and grab it with both hands, Joe.

Phipps/Cooper is a must. Phipps had one poor game, but prior to that has a season of good Tests. Doesn't desereved to be dropped from one poor game.

Foley however, lots of average games IMO. Even his apparent MOTM performance was riddled with amateur errors. I would be starting Cooper with Phipps in a heartbeat.

Agree about Jones too. Deserves a shot. Sorry McMahon but its clear a baa baa's game is not the same level as a proper Test and he has struggled both games.

Bit harsh on Tomane. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity in attack, which I think is mainly due to flat footed attack, lack of go-forward, and our halves lacking the ability to get the ball out wide quick. I think even Savea would look poor if he played for us the last 2 games. Tomane has done well cleaning up and has been fairly solid. Would still prefer Speight though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

mate you could actually say the same about big Henry ATM

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd like to know if Foley stayed flat on attack for the full game last week.
TK and Lilo got next to no opportunities in the match due to the fast and aggressive French defense.
Did the defense warrant Foley dropping into the pocket or trying some chip kicks?
There did not seem to be enough variety / bodies in motion around Foley.
Poor tactics and poor execution but was it Foleys fault?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
TK and Lilo got next to no opportunities in the match due to the fast and aggressive French defense.
Did the defense warrant Foley dropping into the pocket or trying some chip kicks?

Not 100% Foley's fault, but he is the chief playmaker and is the person most responsible. Why didn't he call a cross field kick, or a chip kick early in the game to keep the defence guessing? Maybe he knows that he is poor at executing a kick so he didnt try it. Either way he kept playing the game the same way without changing or really doing anything, when he would have instigated a change.

Don't even get me started on his defence.

Foley seems to play well when he has foot front ball, but then again what flyhalf doesn't?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I would prefer Cooper at 10, but I just can't see Cheika dropping Foley from the XV. Potentially Quade might come off the bench this time at 10 rather than wing but that's about it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

when Cheika started this structure at the Tahs, they were expected to stick to and "trust" the game plan.

I would guess the same rules have applied

That said the issue was the go forward in the pigs and cleanout, without more grunt the system just will not work.

Simmons try was about that as much as the two pop passes - we had a period of the forwards getting over the advantage line with enough cleanout to provide the front'ish ball the system needs

Status
Not open for further replies.