• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's ROUND 6 - VANCOUVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great effort to beat Fiji! Lewis Holland is not only our best player but arguably the best going around now.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
QC (Quade Cooper) is QC (Quade Cooper), for the ability to read the game and the brilliance in passing, you also get the downsides of thinking quicker than anyone else and the possible frailties in defence. i have always thought you get more upside with Quade than downside but thats just my opinion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
QC (Quade Cooper) is QC (Quade Cooper), for the ability to read the game and the brilliance in passing, you also get the downsides of thinking quicker than anyone else and the possible frailties in defence. i have always thought you get more upside with Quade than downside but thats just my opinion.

His upside hasn't been good enough yet especially considering the players he is competing with are playing well.

He's going to need to be substantially better in the last two tournaments (Paris and London) that I believe he is scheduled to play if he's any shot of making the Olympics side.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
His upside hasn't been good enough yet especially considering the players he is competing with are playing well.

He's going to need to be substantially better in the last two tournaments (Paris and London) that I believe he is scheduled to play if he's any shot of making the Olympics side.

i was talking in general, but i agree, at the moment he is probably not in the best 12 if all are fit.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn't the honey badger supposed to be playing sevens this season? Seems like he's been doing some travel recently based on his twitter account, no sign of him even training with the sevens squad. I really doubt his chances of making the olympics team, but surely he has to play in at least 2 or 3 of the final 4 tournaments?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't the honey badger supposed to be playing sevens this season? Seems like he's been doing some travel recently based on his twitter account, no sign of him even training with the sevens squad. I really doubt his chances of making the olympics team, but surely he has to play in at least 2 or 3 of the final 4 tournaments?

You'd assume so.

He'd really need to make a big impact to have a chance. It's hard to tell where exactly he'd be competing. He's never had the greatest ball skills. You'd think he'd be competing with Tom Kingston in that sort of position but I'd doubt he's as quick these days.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alright my team for Rio:

1. Ed Jenkins
2. Lewis Holland
3. Cam Clark
4. Sam Myers
5. Boyd Killingworth
6. Pama Fou
7. Allan Fa'alava'au
8. Henry Hutchison
9. Tom Cusack
10. Con Foley
11. James Stannard
12. Henry Speight

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Alright my team for Rio:

1. Ed Jenkins
2. Lewis Holland
3. Cam Clark
4. Sam Myers
5. Boyd Killingworth
6. Pama Fou
7. Allan Fa'alava'au
8. Henry Hutchison
9. Tom Cusack
10. Con Foley
11. James Stannard
12. Henry Speight

its actually interesting. I've now seen more out of Kingston over the last couple of tournaments than I've seen of Speight.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a fair call and I've been pretty critical of Speight but Kingston just doesn't have anything for me, Speight if he can find that magic he used to have can break tackles.

Kingston probably has the front running given he has no Super commitments.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Alright my team for Rio:

1. Ed Jenkins
2. Lewis Holland
3. Cam Clark
4. Sam Myers
5. Boyd Killingworth
6. Pama Fou
7. Allan Fa'alava'au
8. Henry Hutchison
9. Tom Cusack
10. Con Foley
11. James Stannard
12. Henry Speight

In my opinion, the only one listed above who is likely to be marginal is Henry Speight. Otherwise, assuming they are all fit at the time, I'd go with that side as well. Jeladev in for Henry I think.

My observations from this tournament :

Quade has a long way to go to be considered. He jars the attack more often than not by his jinking and apparent lack of certainty about what he should be doing, added to his passing game being very much below par atm. Even if he fixed those aspects, his one on one tackling is simply inadequate, and a team simply can't have that in 7s if they wish to be in contention.

Tom Kingston is improving but still not up to best 12 standard. Dies with the ball when he has supports and more often than not loses possession in contact.

Chucky Stannard's form has dropped off. Poor defensive reads and also wayward passes. He can do better and would be expected to do so. His goal kicking is a plus.

Myers is the stand out in-form player atm. Always has great impact on the game whether he starts or comes off the bench.

SvdW is improving with more game time and showed his class in scoring against Fiji. May not make the Rio squad, but will go close if he continues to improve.

That Scottish ref who had the final, and the Aus Canada game, is an a'hole. Seems to think the game is about him and that he is the centre of attention. Not biased, but just overly pedantic in his rulings. My impression is that he blows the whistle on many more occasions than any other ref, especially with regard to innocuous high tackles. And Stannard's YC was a bad joke.

All in all, a very successful tournament again from Aus as the likes of Clarke, Jenkins, Fau, Cusack were all missed this week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We may not see any of our 'big names' in the Rio Games, but I reckon they've played their role. I genuinely believe that their presence in and about the squad has seen the performances of the regulars lift substantially - whether because they've felt under pressure or whatever.

But the likes of Holland, Fa'alava'au, Myers and Foley have all stood up big time of late.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I only watched the Bronze play off. Either Quade is not fit enough for Sevens, or his dreadful defence is going to disqualify him.

Any defensive weakness will be ruthlessly expoited.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
5th place in the 60m, he's not going anywhere with the track and field team.

Thought he was being hugely ambitious given the strength of the US track team but, hey, fair play to,the guy for having a crack, even if he's come up short.

Great result for NZ, not least because we did it without the likes of the Ioanes, Savea & Lam (back to XV's) & of course SBW (injured).

EDIT: also very pleasing was that Messam looked like he'd been gone for four or five months rather than four or five years; and DJ Forbes had his best tournament in probably 18 months. Building depth nicely for Rio.

Fiji, SA & NZ have now kicked well clear of the chasers:

1. Fiji 106
2. South Africa 105
3. New Zealand 104
4. Australia 90
5. USA 76
6. Argentina 69
7. England 57
8. Kenya 53

Next Leg is Hong Kong, 8-10 April.

G

galumay

I dont think we will see Speight or QC (Quade Cooper) at Rio, neither have shown enough to earn a spot IMO.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For the lovers of Motherhood Statements, Andy Friend is quoted as saying in today's SMH, about Quade: "Again I thought there were moments where he showed what he could do and other times where you could see the game of Sevens is very new to him......"

So maybe Sevens experience is important, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.