• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Waratahs - R5, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
High pass from Phipps thrown hard inside from Foley to Carraro goes down. If Carraro caught that he was in, but that pass was a bullet from Foley leaving Carraro no chance, and in turn the pass from Phipps to Foley was way too high making Foley's job too hard.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
3 minutes left, Tahs playing for a bonus point.

They drive the Clan scrum back, but it's cleared.

Folau breaks a tackle, finds his wing on the outside, who then finds Hoiles on the inside to score untouched. Foley kicks it, and it's 26 - 19 with 1 minute to go.

That try was all Folau, and it was Carraro he found on the wing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tahs have run it back to the Clan 22, but then knock if on.

Ben Smith kicks it out, and the Clan take a bonus point win, with the Tahs salvaging a bonus point in the last couple of minutes.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Phew! Needed the Clan to win for my multi.

Tahs started better but the Clan worked their way back into the match & won it through their breakdown work mainly. Tahs scrum was better for most of the match.

M

Moono75

Well done the Clan. Showing the Tahs can crack when put under pressure. Good work by the Tahs to salvage a bonus point at the end. Brumbies look like they will clear out at the top of the Aus conference.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I've been disappointed with Potgeiter the last couple of weeks. He goes for the big hit and big clean out which looks good and can be a game changer when done accurate and with precision, but he has been missing tonight.. Missed tackles and hard but ineffective ruck work..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His clean outs tend to be no arms. But he doesn't get pinged.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Tahs will be disappointed but at least we saw some effective Cheika ball towards the end. That shows that they aren't too far off getting their dominance back. Well played Highlanders, their breakdown work was worth a highlight reel on its own.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The dominance can be easily achieved if we stop chucking it to the most distant wing while praying. Fuck's sake the Clan were fanning out without any effort, and our numbers at the ruck were higher than theirs!

Helpful if we get our hands right, but we didn't work hard enough in close to win that game.

And fuck Joubers - he basically stopped penalising the Clan for fucking anything once we got that yellow card, especially the prick that Lousi dived on (stupidly), who was deliberately delaying our ball, and had earlier gone off his feet over a ruck.

Not to mention denying us a pretty fucking obvious maul try.

Mostly pissed off at the lack of focus in the tight-loose.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The biggest problem for the Tahs is KB (Kurtley Beale)'s inability to tackle. Three missed tackles directly led to three tries.

Otherwise, a very competitive game.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Some pretty grubby play in there from certain Tahs.

Referees seriously need to start looking at the offside line and at the way players are cleaning out at the breakdown. There's far, far, too much shoulder charging going on. Kepu and Potgeiter absolutely love it.

The Highlanders weren't even pretending to get onside for most of the game. That plus their phenomenal line speed and it's no wonder the Tahs were getting stuffed.

They weren't quick, or accurate, enough to deal with the Landers at the breakdown though and they paid the price. Probably lucky to only lose by seven in the end.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The biggest problem for the Tahs is KB (Kurtley Beale)'s inability to tackle. Three missed tackles directly led to three tries.

Otherwise, a very competitive game.

There is absolutely no way that's their biggest issue. They were beaten up at the breakdown for 65 minutes of that much. That will cost you game after game after game.

Also what Pfitzy said.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I would rather neither team were offside.

As a *somewhat* impartial spectator it would make the game better.

WHOOP! WHOOP! Idealist alert! WHOOP! WHOOP! Idealist alert..........

........ and every batsman who knows he's hit it should walk & every bowler who knows he didn't hit it shouldn't appeal & yadda yadda yadda then in the real world they get their contract torn up for walking, not appealing, steadfastly honouring the offside line. Love the sentiment but ain't gonna happen.

Rumour even has it that there was this Aussie bloke who once found himself on the wrong side of a ruck/maul/ post-tackle & for the life of him just COULD NOT MANAGE TO ROLL CLEAR....... only ever happened once, must be why I recall it so vividly, like it was just yesterday (or possibly earlier today) :)

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Bullshit. It was the lack of forward penetration around the ruck, and the fact we played into their hands by going wide.

Spinning it from side to side hoping for gaps against a very good defensive team is not a smart option. The tahs could have tried punching up the middle a little more often than they did.

Great game from the the Highlanders.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
WHOOP! WHOOP! Idealist alert! WHOOP! WHOOP! Idealist alert....

.... and every batsman who knows he's hit it should walk & every bowler who knows he didn't hit it shouldn't appeal & yadda yadda yadda then in the real world they get their contract torn up for walking, not appealing, steadfastly honouring the offside line. Love the sentiment but ain't gonna happen.

Rumour even has it that there was this Aussie bloke who once found himself on the wrong side of a ruck/maul/ post-tackle & for the life of him just COULD NOT MANAGE TO ROLL CLEAR... only ever happened once, must be why I recall it so vividly, like it was just yesterday (or possibly earlier today) :)

I believe the refs have the ability to call offside, just didn't do it today. Not expecting the players to police it obviously.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ true that but still only 1 ref & on a good day 2 half-competent AR's vs anywhere between 30 & 46 potentially cheating players. Big ask to keep all of them under control all of the time.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
I've been disappointed with Potgeiter the last couple of weeks. He goes for the big hit and big clean out which looks good and can be a game changer when done accurate and with precision, but he has been missing tonight.. Missed tackles and hard but ineffective ruck work..

yes, flying up to miss osbourne leaving the line open was brainlock material. Him and Kepu flew in off their feet to rucks numerous times and from about 60th min when Lousi etc came on, they were all flying in from the side wow i feel like qwerty typing this out haha, and in typing his name out i just realised how qwerty chose his log-in name

match was thrilling viewing though, real who dares wins stuff, no-name HGLDRS pack out-hustle their big name opposites.

Beale not up to much defensively for some of those tries

Not to worry NSWF fans, relief is at hand

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/auckland-blues-2014.13827/page-6#post-721036

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Come on Dismal, jump on the bandwagon. The Highlanders wear blue. Just squint a bit and pretend they are from Auckland. Much more entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.