• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Heineken European Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Clermont v Ulster will definitely be one of the ties of the final round of pool games. Leinster and Muster both qualified last week but both made hard work of their wins. But probably best to have a blip now than in the quarters.

I'm also looking forward to Gloucester v Toulouse and Northampton v Munster as both should be real battles. The Cardiff and Edinburgh pool will be a pretty interesting close to the pool stage with both on the same points and both playing at the same time.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Clermont v Ulster will definitely be one of the ties of the final round of pool games. Leinster and Muster both qualified last week but both made hard work of their wins. But probably best to have a blip now than in the quarters.

I'm also looking forward to Gloucester v Toulouse and Northampton v Munster as both should be real battles. The Cardiff and Edinburgh pool will be a pretty interesting close to the pool stage with both on the same points and both playing at the same time.
No 'spit or swallow' Ashton for MK, he has been dropped; his career is unravelling which is sad in some respects because it is a waste of talent but the man is a fecking tool!!!

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He's just signed for Sarries for next season so maybe that also had a part in him being dropped.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What a finish to pool 6. Gloucester beat Toulouse, but Connacht save their skins by getting their 1st ever HEC win against Harlequins. Quins are now sweating on other results to see if they qualify in one of the two best runner up spots. Also Toulouse wil be away in the quarters. No one will want to get them even with home advantage. Could be a clash of the titans in one of the quarters.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So after last night and with 2 pools to go this should be the end result

Munster 25
Leinster 24
Saracens 23
Cardiff 22

Clermont 20
Toulouse 18
Edinburgh 21
Ulster 20

Tough for Cardiff. I can see 3 away teams winning.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Quater Final Line-up

Munster v Ulster
Leinster v Blues
Edinburgh v Toulouse
Saracens v Clermont Auvergne

Semi Final Draw

Winner of Game 4 home to Winner of Game 2
Winner of Game 1 home to Winner of Game 3

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
So for any of ye interested in the denouement of the finest rugby tournament on earth!?!;) Here are the QF details of this weekends heineken cup, all times local.

07/04/12 15.00 Edinburgh V Toulouse
07/04/12 17.45 Leinster V Cardiff
08/04/12 13.45 Munster V Ulster
08/04/12 16.30 Saracens V Clermont Auvergne

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really looking forward to the resumption of the HEC. Expecting both Munster and Leinster to raise their game after what they served up at the weekend. Gave a cheer when D'Arcy was replaced by McFadden only to be disappointed when it turned out to be just for blood. Was hoping to see a BOD, McFadden midfield on Saturday.

On a side note fair play to Cardiff Blues for sacking Henson, that guy is never going to change.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
How do you think BOD has looked the last two weeks Bardon? Touchwood, I think he has looked incredibly sharp given he has been out of the game for six months. Leinster are going to tear Cardiff a new one, surprised cardiff blue isn't wailing about Roberts being out for six months which makes the Aussie's task considerably easier in the summer.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes paddy I think he's looked sharp in the two games. But having D'Arcy alongside him means he's still trying to do too much. I'd love to see a Sexton, McFadden, BOD 10-12-13 with Maddigan, Sexton, McFadden backing up when BOD needs to be rested. Having Roberts beside him in the last Lions showed how dangerous he is when there's a quality 12 beside him. With D'Arcy in the team the opposition can simply double team him as D'Arcy offers very little threat anymore.

As for Roberts it is a pity he's out. I really like to see the best players squaring up against each other. I still think Leinster will beat the Blues. But it wont be the hammering they gave them earlier in the season. Cardiff still have a chance and if Leinster don't raise their levels of performance the Blues could easily win.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Agree re D'Arcy. Was thinking that Madigan's performance in TP warranted a place on the plane to NZ. With the need for three kickers, Mcfadden would have to go to allow Madigan's inclusion. Do you know anyone who thinks D'Arcy should even be in the Leinster side? Even the most conservative of posters on Munster fans don't advocate D'Arcy.

With you on Roberts BTW, but he does seem to pick up a rake of injuries. Call me a masochist but would like to see Bueller fit for the Nordies although it doesn't look like he will be. Think Leinster will tear Cardiff apart myself. Two Ireland V France semis and an all Ireland final, nb that does not include any prediction for the Munster V Ulster game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't know any Leinster fans who think D'Arcy should even be in the squad let alone the team over the last few years. There are plenty of players who should be ahead of him. All he's doing now is eroding any legacy he had from 5-6 years ago when he was a genuine quality player. Unlike Hickey and Shaggy who still did well by Leinster after their number was up for Ireland, D'Arcy hasn't aged well.

I'm going for Munster against Ulster, not due to any preference or prejudice, simply because I think Munster have that little bit extra to make the most of a semi final. I would love to see an all Ireland Final but lots of rugby to go before then and atm there's only one Irish team gauranteed to make the semi.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just finished watching Toulon destroy Quins in the Challenge cup. Stefan Armitage was man of the match, but Giteau was also very impressive. There's still a gulf between the top English teams and the best in Europe, but the dept in the French Top14 is staggering. There's a possible all French line up in both semi finals.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sad news that Aironi are pulling out of Pro12 at the end of the season as the Italian Federation have revoked their licence on financial grounds. Italian teams really made some progress this year and this move undermines that.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Toulouse up by 4 over Edinburgh, 14-10 at half time. Great 60m try by Matanavou to take the lead, when Edinburgh had 13 blokes on the field (2 yellow cards).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow. They won! Amazing achievement.

The Scots deserved something, hopefully they don't carry any momentum into the game against us.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Edinburgh did really well in that game, especially when they stayed in touch while they were down to 13. One of the favourites out. But in reality if Toulouse had snuck through no one would fear them on that performance.

Congratulation to them on the win but I'll be cheering on their opponents in the semi final as it will be an Irish side.

Status
Not open for further replies.