• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Heineken Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Oh yeah, massive upset and boost for Romanian Rugby. Bucuresti defeated Agen 25-22 in the Amlin Cup.

Great to see the odd result like this to show the progress being made in countries who very rarely get the spotlight. Hopefully in the revamp that's agreed for the Heineken & Amlin Cup the team from Romania, Spain etc. aren't shafted if more room has to be made for Pro12 teams in the comp.

Only have to look at Connacht & Treviso to see the progress that can be made from exposure to big European nights. Hopefully at some stage the big clubs and unions will realise that it's in everyone interests to develop rugby in Tier 2 & 3 countries as they'll end up with an infinitely more marketable game. I'd love to see a portion of the TV deals for 6Ns, HEC and Amlin set aside specifically for that purpose.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cardiff currently leading 12-9 against Montpelier but they've been reduced to 14 men as Lloyd Williams has been shown a red card for a tip tackle. Will be a great effort from Cardiff to win this one.

Actually just as I type Montpelier have gone over in the corner for a try. Even tougher task over the next 50 minutes for Cardiff to get the win they need to have even a slim chance of qualifying.

I'm sure there will be plenty of debate if it was a yellow or red card offence. For me on first viewing I'd say red was right.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's definitely a difference in interpretation between the NH and SH refs on those types of tackles, I'm sure SH one would've give a yellow although I'm not saying either is incorrect. It will be contentious issue when it arises in a cross hemisphere international.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was very pleased with Leinster's performance against Clermont, could have won the game in the end. Still happy with a losing bonus point, well done to Clermont it was a cracking game.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Was very pleased with Leinster's performance against Clermont, could have won the game in the end. Still happy with a losing bonus point, well done to Clermont it was a cracking game.

'Twas a great game. Best Leinster effort for a long time under all the circumstances.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Cardiff currently leading 12-9 against Montpelier but they've been reduced to 14 men as Lloyd Williams has been shown a red card for a tip tackle. Will be a great effort from Cardiff to win this one.

Actually just as I type Montpelier have gone over in the corner for a try. Even tougher task over the next 50 minutes for Cardiff to get the win they need to have even a slim chance of qualifying.

I'm sure there will be plenty of debate if it was a yellow or red card offence. For me on first viewing I'd say red was right.
Here's the video of he tackle.
Seemed way harsh to me.
Half was offside and touching the scrum: not that that makes the tackle ok if it was dangerous.
http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/12/29...liams-red-carded-for-alleged-dangerous-tackle

Are we not getting just a touch soft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I agree IS, looks real harsh to me, it's not like he picked up player by legs and dumped him on head.
I think your question is a good one, you certainly get the inpression we getting a touch delicate.

Can I also add how much I have enjoyed Heineken cup? I actually though I was rugbyed out for year, and then see turn on tv and catch some of these games, and realise no I wasn't!!!

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
It was more a throw than a pick up and dump. It's not dissimilar to a tackle by Ireland's Stephen Ferris in the 6N earlier this year. Ferris was yellow carded and cited. The judiciary cleared him of any further action. I'd've probably called it a yellow on Williams at most.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Having seen the tackle again I'd agree red was a little harsh. On first view it live it looked a lot worse then on replays.

Fully agree with Dan, so far this year's pool stage has been really enjoyable with a lot more competitive matches than some other years.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That was way harsh, I know the refs aree cracking down on tip tackles but surely it gets to the point where it's impossible to perform a dominant hit on someone for fear of getting sent off.

Theere really does seem to be a difference in the way these tackles are treated NH v. SH which needs to be addressed too (hopefully before the Lions tour)

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
This was the classic balls-up by officials in this year's 6N:

The ref, Barnes, said he didn't see it. Well, it was so far off the ball. Linesman Dave Pearson saw it but recommended only a yellow. Both subsequently dropped from the Elite Panel. Davies was subsequently cited and got 7 weeks.

That was a blatant case, but the problem is in perception. The officials get one look in real time. The extended TMO powers being trialled in the Aviva are a help. With the IRB edict about spear/tip tackles they're going to err on the side of harsh, unfortunately.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As expected Hartley has been cited for striking Best in Friday's Northampton v Ulster game. He got his ban for biting Ferris in the 6Ns reduced because of testimony that he was a reformed character. Wonder if he'll get another reduction this time.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Hopefully not. The slug. Presumably they'll have a beer together before they choof off on the Lions tour together.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Tough affair at Treviso for Leicester. Cold and muddy. However nothing like last night's game eg. Biarritz vs Connacht

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Missed today's games except for Ospreys beating Toulouse. The big surprise from the game wasn't that Ospreys won but that Toulouse stayed in touch for so long. They looked completely disinterested.

Big wins for Clermont at Leinster and Saints at Ulster. Clermont must be the overall favourites to win on current form. Leinster haven't clicked in the HEC this season and even if they do now it could be too late to make it into the knock out stages.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Close go between Glasgow and Castres, Castres winning 10-8 at home. Glasgow were on the wrong end of a couple of poor ref decisions but still had a chance to win with a straightforward Jackson penalty kick. He hit the post. Good Glasgow effort as underdogs, lazy effort by Castres, content to try to win it through their forwards. They turned down three or four kicks at goal. If they'd lost, there would have been controversy of Robshaw proportions.

Treviso were stiff against Tigers. A nonsensical yellow reduced them to 14 in the closing moments while leading. That said, their penalty try was dodgy.

Status
Not open for further replies.